Amgen Tour of California *Spoilers*

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    King takes it from Huffman. Really deserved that. He did lions share of the work in the break. 8 secs back, Kristoff, Sagan and Bonifazio make up the top 5.

CinUq0HUYAEzdIh.jpg:large

CinSmU3UYAAnsfk.jpg
    Source: @BeckyAlleyneMD and Eurosport
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Watching on Eurosport on Demand - looks like (MM) Kiry took a big hit - hopefully ok for the TT.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Tinkoff must have worked hard to bring that back, they had 5 guys 18 mins down.
    Cav and his train at 15 mins. I hope he gets this Olympic gold and he thinks it's worth it.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    Stunning scenery
    124753_DSC_5427.jpg

Amazing shoes
    142931__BH16629.jpg

Podium 1
    161512_001C0867_2016_AToC_Stg01_Podium_Stage_1stPeterSAGAN(SVK-TNK)_2ndWouterWIPPERT(CAN-CPT)_3rdDylanGROENEWEGEN(NED-TLJ).jpg

Podium 2
    162452__BH17150.jpg
  • RonB
    Stage 3 starts out at Thousand Oaks, the home of the main sponsor Amgen. From there it's the Pacific Coast Highway and strawberry fields forever before the cameras are rolling.

CirHFf8WEAI2If1.jpg

Everything is about the last 12km and the Gibraltar Road MTF. Fingers crossed that we get some good racing and the locals stay classy. I also hope we get to see some more of that stunning scenery :D

profile-03.jpg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Cheers for this thread, Ron. Not got to see much of the racing so far, but nice to keep tabs on it here.

Here's GCN riding Gibraltar Road
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVuG8XeqBP8
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Lousy coverage last night.
    40 minutes of dead air and then the director completely missed the bunch sprint for third.

Fast start to today's stage. 40kph over the early lumpy bits.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    They always miss the secondary sprints in America. 3rd place is for losers.

Quite looking forward to this climb tonight. Hoping for a Li'l Pete show.
  • RonB
    Everyone made the start, which is good news for Kiri fans. Huffman's keen on that KOM jersey and he has made the break to compete for the early points.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Seeing Diamondback bikes. The same as used by commuters over here?
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Kirby is dire. This may as well be his own personal podcast rather than attempted commentary.
  • RonB
    Huffman racking up more points by leading the break over the latest climb. The lead is 2'45" with 4km to go. That lead group in full ...

• E.Huffman
    • J.Arredondo
    • A.Tennant
    • T.Putt
    • O.Clark
    • G.Daniel
    • K.Neilands
  • RonB
    Break starting to get a bit twitchy with 15km to go before the start of the Gibraltar Road climb. Wonder of Arrendondo will have a go today.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Climb coming up!

Credit to Carlton Kirby, not many commentators would know the Latvian u23 scene.
  • RonB
    Tennant, Clark and Huffman have been dropped from the breakaway group, leaving Putt, Arredondo, Daniel and Neilands. 20km to go.

Edit - Putt & Neilands take it on with Arrendondo and Daniel a few secs back. The main field is still 1'30" behind. Other teams are taking over from Cannondale now, but no one team really pushing as yet.
  • RonB
    Noooo Lil Pete down
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Looks a bad bump for Lil Pete there.
  • jam1e
    Kennaugh collarbone? FFS they can't catch a break!
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Yeah looks like a Collar bone for Pete. Shame, wonder how it will effect his potential Olympic selection.
  • RonB
    Daniel out on his own now. Great show by the Axeon U23 team again today. Peloton just 30" behind now though as BMC start to work.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Greg Daniel not going to be King of the Hill this time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    This is some ride by young Powless. Looking very comfortable at the moment.
  • RonB
    Pepperoni pizza's cheering on Powless. Another Axeon rider who has a 30" lead with 5.5km to go.

Nice to see Grayson Perry there cheering on the riders.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Sky have tweeted Kennaugh is off to hospital with suspected collar bone break
  • RonB
    Stetina in the lead with just 1km to go.

"My man" going for it though! Cracking attack by Alaphilippe.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    "He shortened the line there, and it's a short line to the operator, and he's saying give me everything you've got"

Some top class nonsense from the commentator in the last 200m
  • jam1e
    I heard that and wondered wtf he was on about. Good ride from Powless, think he came in about 5th in the end.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Yep, Powless got 5th.

19, youngest rider in the race. Chapeau. Looked very smooth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    An amazing finish by Alaphilippe.

I'm not certain he's a capable Tour winner, but he's certainly a special talent.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • The ATOC Tracker is awesome, but their coverage is just plain amateuristic!
    Missed the race today but found some good recaps already. http://www.missedthematch.com/
    Obama Out