Giro Stage 9 - Radda in Chianti to Greve in Chianti (ITT) *Spoiler*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    Markwb79 wrote:
    surprised no one tried a aluminium clincher on the front today.

Think I would have been worth the risk for quite a few near the front of the GC

Eh?
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Markwb79 wrote:
    surprised no one tried a aluminium clincher on the front today.

Think I would have been worth the risk for quite a few near the front of the GC

Eh?

I saw plenty of them tentatively braking into corners.

I think a alu rim would have improved the braking by more than the loss in weight.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • rick_chasey
    Meh.

What proportion of the TT do you think they spent braking?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Meh.

What proportion of the TT do you think they spent braking?

About the same amount that Zakarin spent on the ground. So, quite significant.
  • rick_chasey
    :roll:

You lot can be so english sometimes.

The solution isn't always technology.

In this instance, like may of the riders did, is not to fall off.
  • rick_chasey
    Tyre pressures are more likely to be a culprit than the braking surface of the wheel anyway, if we're talking kit.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,647
    Joelsim wrote:
    This race isn't over yet. Chaves, Zakarin and Landa are the best climbers.

I'm still waiting for it to start.

This. There's been no proper mountains, so it's all a bit moot to be fair
  • joelsim
    Landa is now favourite at the bookies. He was nowhere near yesterday.

http://www.oddschecker.com/cycling/giro-ditalia/winner
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Tyre pressures are more likely to be a culprit than the braking surface of the wheel anyway, if we're talking kit.

Meh
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • joelsim
    Disc brakes?

I'll get my coat.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Cancellara abandons apparently.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Has the Giro gone out of fashion as the GT of choice for 'real' cycling fans? Can't remember the last time I saw so little comment on each stage of a GT. Pretty poor route so far and mediocre start list. Are people finally seeing the reality that this is where the riders who know they won't win the big one or teams 2nd / 3rd choice leaders come to strut their stuff?
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross wrote:
    Has the Giro gone out of fashion as the GT of choice for 'real' cycling fans? Can't remember the last time I saw so little comment on each stage of a GT. Pretty poor route so far and mediocre start list. Are people finally seeing the reality that this is where the riders who know they won't win the big one or teams 2nd / 3rd choice leaders come to strut their stuff?

I reckon it is because Frenchfighter isn't here, he always posted a lot in the giro ;)

Last year it was a really good race, like you say it hasn't been amazing so far this year but the upcoming mountains should be good.
  • rick_chasey
    Who watches TTs anyway?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Pross wrote:

Maybe posters' wives decided that was the weather for going to buy, then assemble patio furniture.
    Maybe.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Who watches TTs anyway?

But this stage spoiler thread is at least as long, if not longer, as the others. I've only seen Saturday's stage (which I enjoyed) and highlights of Friday. Hopefully the lack of top level talent will make for a close contest though.
  • rick_chasey
    Hmm.

Might be to do with no Brits.

Might be to do with lack of scandal.

Might be to do with fairly tame racing.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    It's the racing for me. I'm knee deep in course work at the minute, so teh required action threshold may be a little higher than usual, but there hasn't been much to drag me away from studies so far.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,647
    Yeah, the racing's been pretty ordinary really, hence the lack of comment. I think riders like NIbali and Landa have come in undercooked so they can peak in the last week.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pross wrote:

For those who pretend to work whilst sat in an office it's difficult to keep up with goings on, so I'm watching the highlights later on. By then there's no point in commenting.

It's different from the Tour as I can get ITV4 on my work PC (ssshhh) and watch it live.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

For those who pretend to work whilst sat in an office it's difficult to keep up with goings on, so I'm watching the highlights later on. By then there's no point in commenting.

It's different from the Tour as I can get ITV4 on my work PC (ssshhh) and watch it live.

Eurosport on the phone. Follow CN live blog and tune in for key points (potentially via conveniently timed poo breaks if you can't have it on at your desk ;) )
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Hmm.

Broadly agree with this.

I'd also add that more people are taking their polemics / sane contributions to twitter.

And the forum is missing FF.
  • bobmcstuff
    dish_dash wrote:
    Hmm.

Broadly agree with this.

I'd also add that more people are taking their polemics / sane contributions to twitter.

And the forum is missing FF.

Although I'm not sure that threads only reaching 3 or 4 pages because of a lack of inflammatory posts is entirely a bad thing...

I did miss the pictures.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    True. Have some photos...

Stage winner
    012-589151688.jpg

Man in pink
    177-ba3199fe-efcc-4b66-ae21-cdaa7abd5d5d.jpg

Valverde in the wet
    235-589180560.jpg

Faller
    300-589175460.jpg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    From Twitter:

Felix Lowe
    @saddleblaze

Random, but when was the last time there was neither green nor yellow in the flags of a top10 of a Grand Tour stage?
    https://twitter.com/saddleblaze/status/ ... 1869447168

CikYQMWWEAADcDG.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    dish_dash wrote:
    012-589151688.jpg

That position looks pretty close to perfect to my untrained eye.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Although I'm not sure that threads only reaching 3 or 4 pages because of a lack of inflammatory posts is entirely a bad thing...

1 million percent that!

For the first time in however many Giri, we re actually talking about what is happening in the race rather than about a load of zenophobic, homophobic, sexist hate speech. It's much better!

Unfortunately so far there hasnt been a lot of racing this Giro...

(plus this thread was a bout a TT, there's never anything to post about a TT, plus plus it's a weekend and many people would have been out riding themselves)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    Well I didn't intend to put any specifics in, as I know he still looks at the board and I have long since learnt that getting involved in arguments in the Internet is always a bad idea. But yes at the least we would have had a lot of insinuations about Dumoulin when he took pink (ref. last year's Vuelta) followed by self righteous glee when he cracked on the climb. Which would have drawn lots of other posters out of the woodwork to have an argument and voila, a couple of 9-10 page threads.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    012-589151688.jpg

That position looks pretty close to perfect to my untrained eye.

I so wish I had picked him as one of My Men...couldn't do it now with a clear conscience. It will be interesting to see if Jumbo manage to keep hold of him next year.

Who needs Sep? We have a winner here!
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    Also 4 photos and 3 different pointy hat design concepts - surely they've worked out which is best by now?