Giro Stage 9 - Radda in Chianti to Greve in Chianti (ITT) *Spoiler*

124»

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    As I predicted Dumoulin puts a minute into all his main rivals and is now the man to beat going into the high mountains.

Oh...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Also 4 photos and 3 different pointy hat design concepts - surely they've worked out which is best by now?

I imagine it's to do with how much emphasis is put on where the wind comes from and how much the rider moves their head.

Do note the different era TT positions.

Winner vs Valverde. Mainly in the head & shoulders position.
  • rick_chasey
    And if you want more posts should I make some correct comment about how riders sit on their bike??
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    And if you want more posts should I make some correct comment about how riders sit on their bike??

PIty Sagan's not in the Giro. I'd love to hear more about his back.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938

PIty Sagan's not in the Giro. I'd love to hear more about his back.

I'm keen to learn more about how he beats sprinters in sprints but isn't a sprinter.

(Unlike Gaviria who definitely is going to be a superstar sprinter and win all the things Sagan has already won)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    I imagine Sagan saves a lot more energy making his way through the group than other riders. See Caleb's problems getting to the sprint in decent shape.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,559
    I imagine Sagan saves a lot more energy making his way through the group than other riders. See Caleb's problems getting to the sprint in decent shape.

By barging through?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Katusha not happy about the drafting going on yesterday then.

"First of all, on behalf of Team KATUSHA, I would like to apologize for Alexey Tsatevich’s behavior during the time trial. The way Tsatevich rode yesterday’s stage was absolutely unacceptable. First of all, he broke the clear rule, known by every professional rider. In addition, he also showed a great lack of respect for his rival, the rider who caught him on the course. Moreover, he absolutely ignored the team plan for the day, provided and requested by the sports director. His behavior has a huge and negative impact on the image of cycling in general and Team KATUSHA in particular. Accepting the commissaires penalty was not enough for us; we had to take more severe measures. It is not easy to enter the second week of the race with just 8 riders, but I am convinced we’ve made the right decision" - Sports Director Dmitry Konyshev.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Don't know if it's been posted Landa going off road.

https://twitter.com/CyclingHubTV/status ... lang=en-gb
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RonB wrote:

"First of all, on behalf of Team KATUSHA, I would like to apologize for Alexey Tsatevich’s behavior during the time trial. The way Tsatevich rode yesterday’s stage was absolutely unacceptable. First of all, he broke the clear rule, known by every professional rider. In addition, he also showed a great lack of respect for his rival, the rider who caught him on the course. Moreover, he absolutely ignored the team plan for the day, provided and requested by the sports director. His behavior has a huge and negative impact on the image of cycling in general and Team KATUSHA in particular. Accepting the commissaires penalty was not enough for us; we had to take more severe measures. It is not easy to enter the second week of the race with just 8 riders, but I am convinced we’ve made the right decision" - Sports Director Dmitry Konyshev.

That's pretty bold from Katusha. Not sure kicking him off the race was entirely necessary.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited May 2016
    The new Bolide works as a CX bike too then...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    girostage9ttgainslosses.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RonB wrote:

That's pretty bold from Katusha. Not sure kicking him off the race was entirely necessary.

I imagine it was jump or be pushed....
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Sounds a bit OTT to me...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Definitely smacks of Katusha punishing him for pissing them off somehow.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RonB

Agreed. The fine & time penalty from UCI had already been dealt.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Katusha going for the wholier than thou approach to try and gain a little bit of credibility back - given the last year's difficulties??
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Someone knowledgable suggested that he was meant to go out and do a data gathering ride for Zakarin and didn't do it (not least by not crashing).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    Roglic didn't think he'd had a great ride:
    It is hard to believe that this is Giro d`Italia and that I am the one that is today on Winners podium. The day didn’t started well for me, at 9 o clock I went to check the course, it was raining, that last U corner before the finish line didn’t impress me either. The usual warm up and procedures before the start and the time was quickly 13:20. Only 2 minutes to start when I leave for the ramp, and the race commissar tells me that my bike is too long. WHAT?! As usual in those situations, there is no one from my team, finally I find the team car and sports director gives me a spare bike, I arrived at the start line 20 seconds before I start. Then I realized, the saddle is too low, I don’t have any bottles, and I am cursing. You are really out of luck Rogla, I say to myself. . In that moment there I only wanted to survive the TT, safely through the corners. At approximately 10 k of the race, my Pioneer (meter) flies from my handlebars and hits the ground. I tried to show to my team car that I have lost something, but had no luck with that either. I was angry and felt good on the climb, and since I’ve lost the meter I had to go all in, ful gas. At the end I suffered and thought that I will break the handlebars….Died! I was fast enough to run away before the heavy rain. The waiting for the results was long and stressful, but I couldn’t change anything at that point anymore and it turned out to be very well done. That was the longest TT I ever did in my life, I don’t mind being on top, and once again I got the confirmation that fight till the ens is always a good decision, tomorrow luckily there is a rest day, but the plan for the next stages stays the same – fight fight fight! Thank you for the congratulations, and one more thing: the picture is taken few years back, when I started one of my first recreational climbs. In a way that is where my road started on a borrowed MTB and it is very good to see, what fascinating things life sets for you, if you are brave enough to take the road. I have better equipment now, that is sure!

Dumoulin also called it a "sucky tt"...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Someone knowledgable suggested that he was meant to go out and do a data gathering ride for Zakarin and didn't do it (not least by not crashing).

All added up, I can see now why they've chucked him off the race. Sounds like he had a complete strop when asked to do a job and did the exact opposite.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,645
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

All added up, I can see now why they've chucked him off the race. Sounds like he had a complete strop when asked to do a job and did the exact opposite.

Ekimov was on the Cycling Podcast saying it was basically the straw that broke the camel's back. They've sent him home "to have a think"
  • dish_dash
    Agree about the TT being the final straw. I did also wonder about Tcatevitch sprinting against teammate Porsev for minor placings on Stage 7 as well. Suspect this he's been an issue within the team for a while.

That Ekimov interview on the podcast was very welcome as much of the Anglo media don't speak to them much, so we don't hear the deets, mainly because of the linguistic barrier.

Anyone know what the Gazzetta story on Zakarin that Ciro alluded to last night was?
  • rick_chasey
    No idea, but if I had to guess....

6436224-A-young-woman-doctor-with-big-syringe-in-his-hands-Stock-Photo.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    dish_dash wrote:
    Anyone know what the Gazzetta story on Zakarin that Ciro alluded to last night was?
    I assumed it was just a big profile piece rather than actual news.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RonB
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    I assumed it was just a big profile piece rather than actual news.

Yup. Mention of Buzzati being on the front page are about his novel "The Desert of the Tartars" - a course link to Zakarin's origins rather than his ban.