ARC CX-RAY Probuild Volta EVO from superstar

k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Superstar components currently have these on offer with 25% off at the moment. Works out around £200. Are they as good as they seem or am I better off with some from cycle clinic or hunt offerings around £330?
http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/a ... -dealx.htm

Comments

• MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Are you looking at the Arc22 or the Arc31 ? The 31 appears to be the Kinlin XR31t rim. Like for like comparison would be the Hunt http://www.huntbikewheels.com/products/ ... eep-24wide @£399. which appears to be based on the same rim.
    The £330 version from Hunt is 28 deep, and appears to be based on the older and slightly narrower (17mm inner) Kinlin XC279

I've been looking at the Superstar 31mm offering - in silver, to match a slightly old skool bike, viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13064063 but have yet to pull the trigger as I'm not sure that the, 16 year old, CAAD6 frameset will have enough clearance. :?:
  • k3vinjam3s
    So it's half the price of a close comparison. Obviously the hubs will be different but £200 different?
  • MikeBrew
    The Hunts are 85grams lighter for the pair(according to claimed weights for both). So that 85 grams is presumably saved in the hubs (where it, arguably, matters least), as they appear to have the same rims. Also, the Superstar have high quality Sapim CX-ray spoke bladed spokes, so it's doubtful that the Hunts have a weight saving in that dept.
  • k3vinjam3s
    MikeBrew wrote:
    The Hunts are 85grams lighter for the pair(according to claimed weights for both). So that 85 grams is presumably saved in the hubs (where it, arguably, matters least), as they appear to have the same rims. Also, the Superstar have high quality Sapim CX-ray spoke bladed spokes, so it's doubtful that the Hunts have a weight saving in that dept.

What would you advise as weight limit on these as Superstar don't seem to answer emails.
  • MikeBrew
    According to this http://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheelsets/which-rim/ the rim is rated to 120KG. Also, cycle clinic say that "There is no weight limit on these wheels." of their similarly CX-ray/XR31T specked wheelset . http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... 1-wheelset
    Having said that, only Superstar can really answer that question definitively for you, as regards their set.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I have nothing to say.
    Just pushing the thread back up the main page, to keep the cash flow going...
    left the forum March 2023
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    MikeBrew wrote:
    According to this http://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheelsets/which-rim/ the rim is rated to 120KG. Also, cycle clinic say that "There is no weight limit on these wheels." of their similarly CX-ray/XR31T specked wheelset . http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... 1-wheelset
    Having said that, only Superstar can really answer that question definitively for you, as regards their set.

Unwise to compare resilience under load of wheels built by cycleclinic with ones built for/by SS even if exactly the same parts are used. The build quality ...

Now isn't there a very informative thread on this somewhere that anyone contemplating this purchase would be wise to retrieve and read?

There said it!
  • k3vinjam3s
    MikeBrew wrote:

Unwise to compare resilience under load of wheels built by cycleclinic with ones built for/by SS even if exactly the same parts are used. The build quality ...

Now isn't there a very informative thread on this somewhere that anyone contemplating this purchase would be wise to retrieve and read?

There said it!

So where's this thread? Link?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Here we go...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    I'm not going to go digging for the thread, it's long and got somewhat derailed. The point that is being referred to is that whilst a lot of people buy wheels through Superstar and are very happy, a few had issues with spoke tensions being out and wheels going out of true. This was denied vehemently and things got silly. The thing I would take from the whole sorry saga is that the wheels are generally good value and if discounted can be very good value. Even if you do have a problematic set and have to get them trued by a shop or even fully rebuilt they can still work out cheap as you can't buy the separate parts for that price.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    No, stop that! We can't possibly have a reasonable opinion in a superstar or planet x thread.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I believe a similar thread concluded that the Arc rim isn't a rebadged Kinlin. Also be aware that the Arc rim has a relatively low maximum pressure rating - you're meant to take full advantage of that extra width and run lower pressure.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • veronese68
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I believe a similar thread concluded that the Arc rim isn't a rebadged Kinlin.
    Some may find it odd that someone can slag an established brand off for selling frames that are of unknown origin, yet quite happily say those rims are the same as a named brand. They either know something we don't about the precise origins of those rims, ie Superstar's purchasing, or...
    I think people can come to their own conclusions on that.
  • MikeBrew
    edited May 2016
    MikeBrew wrote:
    The 31 appears to be the Kinlin XR31t rim

Having said that, only Superstar can really answer that question definitively for you, as regards their set

Hope that's answered those little points for you. For you information, I've emailed and rung them(Superstar) today to try to get a definitive answer for my own ends*, but don't let that get in the way of a nice little conspiracy theory. Real life can be so disappointingly hum-drum can't it.

It's reassuring to see that you're remaining as impartial and even handed as a moderator should. Clearly you wouldn't collude with you good friend, and fellow countryman's blatant attempt to inflame a straight forward thread for unkown nefarious motives. Good to know that mate - good to know.

* Unlike you and your compatriot, I'm actually considering buying these wheels. Your joint motives for being in this thread at all, would seem to be slightly more oblique .
    I'll leave other people to draw there own conclusions about your true motivations for your above post.
  • k3vinjam3s
    MikeBrew wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:
    The 31 appears to be the Kinlin XR31t rim

Having said that, only Superstar can really answer that question definitively for you, as regards their set

Hope that's answered those little points for you. For you information, I've emailed and rung them(Superstar) today to try to get a definitive answer for my own ends*, but don't let that get in the way of a nice little conspiracy theory. Real life can be so disappointingly hum-drum can't it.

It's reassuring to see that you're remaining as impartial and even handed as a moderator should. Clearly you wouldn't collude with you good friend, and fellow countryman's blatant attempt to inflame a straight forward thread for unkown nefarious motives. Good to know that mate - good to know.

I'll leave other people to draw there own conclusions about your motivations for your above post.

* Unlike you and your compatriot, I'm actually considering buying these wheels. Your joint motives for being in this thread at all are slightly more obscure .

So what was superstars response. They have advised me of a 100kg weight limit on these too which is reassuring.
  • MikeBrew
    Haven't heard. Rang several times without any luck. Sent email about an hour ago, but not had a reply yet - guess it will be tomorrow at the earliest now.
    Make of the boys' enthusiasm for a little contrived drama exactly what you will.
    Though it wasn't lost on me that Ugo did his level best to introduce the name Superstar into another unrelated thread, then fell silent when his remarks elicited some very positive remarks about them from other forum users. viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13061487&start=120

Life is simply too short, I have to guess that he's still too young to have reached that stark realization yet.
  • veronese68
    Apologies if I missed the word "appears". Presumably this means the links you provide and other wheels mentioned are based on the Arc rim and not the Kinlin.
    I would have no problem with what you say but for the fact that you are so keen to slag off another retailer that sources direct and sells under their own name. Seems rather strange to me.
  • MikeBrew
    That's OK words are easy to miss. As for me being keen to slang off the other company you allude to, far from it. I'd love to have only good things to say about them - they are British after all . That's not enough reason not to say it how you see it though. Well not in my book anyway.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Presumably this means the links you provide and other wheels mentioned are based on the Arc rim and not the Kinlin.

Well no. What it meant was that if the rims are/were what the appeared to be, then these were fair comparisons. I think that anyone following the thread of the thread could reasonably have been expected to "get" that. Of course someone diving in mid thread with a negative pre conception might not.
    Clearly Ugo's interjection had only negative intent and sadly your, otherwise laudable, loyalty to a friend appears to have led you down his path of thought.Well - as I see it, at least.
    In fact you might like to consider why, in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13064063 I talk about the wheels in question and yet assiduously avoid mentioning Superstar at all. Why ? Well not because I have anything against them but rather, because I know what goes on on this forum in relation to that name and want no part of the pantomime that often follows on here.
    Then the OP mentions the name, I give an honest answer and laughing boy Ugo, is on it like a drunk on a kebab. OK so he didn't say much - he's probably not even allowed to by now- but he didn't have say it himself to did he. The very next poster is mindlessly obeying the unspoken call, and filling in the blanks for him - casting aspersions for him.
    Think about it. You've never struck me as a person who can't think fairly. Apart from in relation to your Machiavellian mate that is.
  • wishitwasallflat
    MikeBrew wrote:
    I know what goes on on this forum in relation to that name and want no part of the pantomime that often follows on here.
    All together now children - Oh yes he does ...
  • wishitwasallflat
    MikeBrew wrote:
    The very next poster is mindlessly obeying the unspoken call, and filling in the blanks for him - casting aspersions for him.
    Nothing mindless about it Mike.

Fact 1 = there is a very long thread on the issue of build quality.
    Fact 2 = my response had more to do with my concern at cycleclinic's wheels being discussed purely in terms of the component parts, with no consideration of Malcolm's skill as a builder, more than any comparison (which I personally do consider ludicrous) between wheels hand built by a skilled artisan, and machine built/mass produced wheels, (from any source, or shop, I would stress, not just SS).

Now I have no knowledge of, nor vested interest in SS wheels of any type - but - as there is a long thread (very well summated by Veronese68 may I say) which evidences different people's experiences of the build quality I simply thought it helpful to flag it up for reference,

Give me credit please none of it is mindless!

PS - Ugo told me to write this so please dont reply to me, reply to him, he is my master and I must obey, he is my master and I must obey, he is my master and I must obey, he is my master and I must obey, he is my master and I must obey
  • wishitwasallflat
    Ohh slightly disappointed that the Reply from Mike has gone as it was hilarious!
  • MikeBrew
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    So what was superstars response. They have advised me of a 100kg weight limit on these too which is reassuring.

Got a reply from Superstar today and was advised that these are indeed the Kinlin rim. They also reiterated the 100KG rider weight guide. I've ordered them in silver, they come out @ £194.25 with the 25% off code MADMAY25FB applied.
  • wishitwasallflat
    MikeBrew wrote:
    k3vinjam3s wrote:

Got a reply from Superstar today and was advised that these are indeed the Kinlin rim. They also reiterated the 100KG rider weight guide. I've ordered them in silver, they come out @ £194.25 with the 25% off code MADMAY25FB applied.

Did they delete your last post (reply to mine) then or did you change your mind and delete it yourself? Either way rest assured I wasn't bothered.
  • k3vinjam3s
    MikeBrew wrote:
    k3vinjam3s wrote:

Made the purchase yesterday. Black rims with blue hubs for a bit of bling.
  • MikeBrew
    edited May 2016
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:
    k3vinjam3s wrote:

Made the purchase yesterday. Black rims with blue hubs for a bit of bling.

I went with silver to match the feel of the old Cannondale I've recenty bought . One like this :

4d304ba48262ac195f7b10472c19f395bd9407e8.jpg

Bit of a compromise really as they have to do double duty between 2 bikes and they're gonna look pants on my newer CAAD 10. The guy at SS mentioned that it's worth going with adhesive rim tapes, to make tyre changing easier. Velox cloth if you're not going to run tubless. Superstars own or Stans if you do want to run tubeless.
    Blue hubs are different, if it matches your bike why not - nothing wrong with a bit of bling ! :)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    MikeBrew wrote:
    I went with silver to match the feel of the old Cannondale I've recenty bought . One like this :

Technically, dark anodized rims would be more period-correct. Silver coloured rims kind of died out in the 80s...
  • MikeBrew
    The rim options were black, silver, red, or black . I just thought silver would be more retro than black. I'm a bit bored of black rims. The spokes are black, which I would rather not of had, but hey at that price I can let it go.. :)
    I recent bought and sold on a 2006 CAAD 5 that had silver rims, they looked "right" on that. I was thinking about getting that one, or my CAAD 10 sprayed Saeco colors, then a real one came up !
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Considering Superstar components operate in a similar fashion to the likes of Planet X, then it might be an idea to expand their search to the likes of Planet X to see what cheaper options there are.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Gilberto Simoni rode that frame in the Giro 2003... wheels were Mavic Ksyrium rear and a Mavic Helium front, possibly he wanted to take advantage of a less harsh wheel like the Helium for smoother lines on the descents

simoni_g3.jpg

stg18_simoni.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • MikeBrew
    Looks good ! I'm definitely going to draw a line in the sand(or snow even) at the pink kit though ... :) be interesting to see how the Saeco rides compared to the CAAD 10. Though if reality, I only bought it as I like the look of the thing. The wider rims and lower pressures should help the, possibly, less compliant older bike.