The annual ***** rating for world T sprinters

2»

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    If it's a list of their current position in the hierarchy of sprinters, Cav really needs a couple of wins in california to keep his place. He's not won anything of note since last years Tour (I realize he has different goals this year).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Joelsim wrote:
    Yep I agree, but we saw in MSR, where only inexperience and nerves stopped Gaviria winning in his maiden race.

He will win loads of GT stages, he will also win several classics and semi-classics including MSR, and I think Flanders and Lombardia too.

Lombardy? Really? If he's going to be competitive there then he can kiss goodbye to winning GT stages as a sprinter.

I think everyone accepts that he has a lot of talent, but it needs more than that to be a consistent big race winner like Cavendish, Greipel and Kittel. Gaviria may go on to eclipse them, but at this point in time, when he's never even started a GT, I'll reserve judgement.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I can see why people say it but I am not totally buying into Kittel as the 5 star sprinter. He is only that if the criteria is based on a pan flat 160km stage. Any bumps near the end and he is toast. I think he is a lot easier to get rid of than Cav was in his prime.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    [Frenchie mode] All sprinters are just wheelsuckers. Meh. [/Frenchie mode]
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    smithy21 wrote:
    I can see why people say it but I am not totally buying into Kittel as the 5 star sprinter. He is only that if the criteria is based on a pan flat 160km stage. Any bumps near the end and he is toast. I think he is a lot easier to get rid of than Cav was in his prime.

He's not so good on the hills, but he's improved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyrLcbCVNo

For me, in a straight up sprint, no one is beating him, therefore he's a 5* sprinter. If you want to add in "getting over tough terrain" etc, then Greipel is the best sprinter.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^agree with this. pity about his puncture today.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Watch the overhead of today's Giro stage and you see what separates the 4/5 star sprinters from the others. Speed and great decision making. Only the big three have that at the moment (although I'd like to see Kittel freelancing a win).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    got a link?

I had to do some work :(.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Steephill has the 4km to go video from Eurosport. They could've made more of the helicopter cam, but you should get the gist.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Cheerz.

Greipel folded the wing mirrors in on that one.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Suddenly the invincible Kittel seems SO last week...
    Half man, Half bike
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    CicJTCEUYAA9v6t.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!