good sportive in the south west

2»

Comments

• bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Why not jump on a ferry and do a French one? Lots of Brits do.

There are 2 in Brittany, the Bernard Hinault in late May, and the Bigot in June. Both for charity, both very big, both closed roads, both excellent and cheap.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

There are 2 in Brittany, the Bernard Hinault in late May, and the Bigot in June. Both for charity, both very big, both closed roads, both excellent and cheap.

Anything in Brittany is likely to be easy... the geography doesn't lend to anything challenging
    left the forum March 2023
  • bernithebiker

Anything in Brittany is likely to be easy... the geography doesn't lend to anything challenging

You're joking right?!
  • bernithebiker
    https://www.strava.com/activities/526329983

That's just a quick example of a coastal ride here. Brittany (especially Finistere) is VERY lumpy. No big long cols as such, but there's hardly any flat, and every ride requires punch, flexibility and good gears!

There's a reason why Brittany has such a strong cycling heritage and many of France's top riders come from here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    https://www.strava.com/activities/526329983

That's just a quick example of a coastal ride here. Brittany (especially Finistere) is VERY lumpy. No big long cols as such, but there's hardly any flat, and every ride requires punch, flexibility and good gears!

There's a reason why Brittany has such a strong cycling heritage and many of France's top riders come from here.

I have ridden in Brittany in 2012 as we stayed close to St. Malo for a few days. The coastal roads go up and down, but there are no real climbs, it's a bit like coastal Kent or Sussex. I would go to Brittany for the oysters in Cancale and for gem villages like St Suliac, but it's not my idea of cycling heaven. It's also very far, meaning a good 5 hours drive from Calais if not more, I seem to recall.
    Cycling heritage has not much to do with geography... Belgium is dull, but look at the heritage, Germany is the best cycling country in Eurpo (IMO) but the heritage is not that great.

Incidentally the sportif you mention has the best folks finishing with 36 Kph average, so it's half the way between a "London ride" (over 40Kmh) and a "Fred Whitton" (30 Kmh). There is also the small matter of French competitive sportives and disc brakes
  • bernithebiker
    OK, some fair points there, but I seem to recall my average was up around 37/38 km/h on the last Bigot I did, and I sure as sh*t didn't win it!! It's quite hilly too, well over my "1% rule" (i.e. 100km >1000m climbing)
  • ugo.santalucia
    OK, some fair points there, but I seem to recall my average was up around 37/38 km/h on the last Bigot I did, and I sure as sh*t didn't win it!! It's quite hilly too, well over my "1% rule" (i.e. 100km >1000m climbing)

My average ride round here is 1 to 1.5% rule, so I'd like a challeging event to be 2% or more
  • ugo.santalucia
    I know I said no Wales, but I was having a look at "the monster sportive" organised by a-cycling, same lot that do the battle on the beach.
    Seems they only take 100 entrants and the fee is reasonable, so I don't quite get their business model, but anyway... 190 Km with 4000 mt of climbing and the Devil Staircase thrown in for good measure... seems like a good one
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Have a look at the tour of the black mountains if they still run it, broke me more so than any event I've ever ridden here or abroad
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Tour of Wessex? Choice of three lumpy routes over the second May bank holiday weekend, or if you fancy joining the minority, you can do all three. Beautiful routes, all starting and finishing near Langport, near Ilchester. The first day is probably the easiest (but possibly just because my legs are fresh), with about 7k feet of climbing in 100 miles, with the highlight for me being the ascent of Cheddar Gorge. Day two goes South, 117 miles, 8k feet elevation, highlight Lulworth Ranges and Corfe Castle. Day three is the hardest (but probably only because of the first two), going North West over Exmoor to Minehead. Highlight can be the moor, but it can also be a lowlight - I have suffered really badly up there if the weather is windy.

Really well organised, good standard of riding, excellent HQ, thoroughly recommended.
  • ugo.santalucia
    topcattim wrote:
    Tour of Wessex? Choice of three lumpy routes over the second May bank holiday weekend, or if you fancy joining the minority, you can do all three. Beautiful routes, all starting and finishing near Langport, near Ilchester. The first day is probably the easiest (but possibly just because my legs are fresh), with about 7k feet of climbing in 100 miles, with the highlight for me being the ascent of Cheddar Gorge. Day two goes South, 117 miles, 8k feet elevation, highlight Lulworth Ranges and Corfe Castle. Day three is the hardest (but probably only because of the first two), going North West over Exmoor to Minehead. Highlight can be the moor, but it can also be a lowlight - I have suffered really badly up there if the weather is windy.

Really well organised, good standard of riding, excellent HQ, thoroughly recommended.

Stage 3 looks nice. It goes up the toll road in Porlock, which is a stunning climb, then onto the moor... the only down side is that I have ridden extensively that part of Exmoor... but it's a nice route, thanks for that