good sportive in the south west

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
Was looking at something for next year... we've done the Fred, we've done the Dales and Wales.. Scotland is too far and the sportives I have seen are all too easy... so... South West... The Cornwall Tor seems to have been swallowed away...

Is the Dartmoor classic any good? I am always weary of the word "classic" misused...

Is the Exmoor beast just a long ride with Dunkery Beacon as the only challenge? I've done it with a 39 x 27, so it doesn't really do it

Any other signed and supported (food stops and arrows) rides of 100-120 miles in the South West worth doing?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Dragon Ride? More W than SW, more of a challenge than most though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    craker wrote:
    Dragon Ride? More W than SW, more of a challenge than most though.

Done it years ago... also I don't think I can convince my friends to go to Wales yet again.
    I did find it a bit dull, in terms of scenery... I know the course has changed, but the core is the same
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i dont think much of the Dartmoor Classic, much over rated, its also quite dangerous as there are now so many riders packed into narrow open roads, guaranteed to get some abuse from a few car drivers too, needs closed roads now.

However, the route that the Plymouth Gran fondo follows is fantastic and you ll easily get in, takes in much of SE Cornwall, which with some decent weather can be absolutely beautiful, stays away from much of the more touristy areas.

its on 18th Sept this year but tbh i ride this route at anytime, there are loads of quaint cafes dotted about and the route is fairly easy to follow but then i do live here :)
    there is a garmin connect download on here
    https://spikeevents.com/products/plymou ... edio-route

another is the lands end 100 but i cant see any event listed this year?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Not a sportive as such more a charity ride run by and for local clubs but the white horse challenge we did a couple of weeks ago has to be one of the most picturesque routes I've ever done down in the west country, which is pretty amazing considering much of the route passes right by my home town.

Loads of single lane roads with stunning views of the downs, and I think 5 of the local chalk white horses, passes through Avebury as well.

Not the hardest route mind with only about 6-7000ft of ascent in 90 miles but as I said amazing views, be warned though it's windy here and if like us you get a windy day it can be quite a slog, I ended up doing 50 miles solo, that hurt.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    How about the Black Rat Sportive Granfondo on 22 May this year? Starts in Bristol, goes over Severn Bridge into Wales, up th eWye Valley, past Tintern, into England, back into Wales. Some really beautiful landscapes and scenery with more than enough climbs. It uses the area that GCN use in their videos.

http://www.blackratcycle.co.uk/product. ... do-details

I'm doing the Mediofondo - IF my knee holds out. Seeing physio on Thursday so will know if I can do it or not.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• ugo.santalucia
    mamba80 wrote:
    i dont think much of the Dartmoor Classic, much over rated, its also quite dangerous as there are now so many riders packed into narrow open roads, guaranteed to get some abuse from a few car drivers too, needs closed roads now.

However, the route that the Plymouth Gran fondo follows is fantastic and you ll easily get in, takes in much of SE Cornwall, which with some decent weather can be absolutely beautiful, stays away from much of the more touristy areas.

its on 18th Sept this year but tbh i ride this route at anytime, there are loads of quaint cafes dotted about and the route is fairly easy to follow but then i do live here :)
    there is a garmin connect download on here
    https://spikeevents.com/products/plymou ... edio-route

another is the lands end 100 but i cant see any event listed this year?

Shame of the Dartmoor... it did tick a lot of boxes, especially the "non commercial" one. The plymouth looks good, but we would like to do something in Spring rather than autumn... if they move it back to May, then it is a possibility...
  • ugo.santalucia
    itboffin wrote:
    Not the hardest route mind with only about 6-7000ft of ascent in 90 miles but as I said amazing views, be warned though it's windy here and if like us you get a windy day it can be quite a slog, I ended up doing 50 miles solo, that hurt.

Hope it doesn't sound cocky, but it's a bit too easy... we are looking for something a bit more terrifying. I have done the Chiltern 100 many times (107 miles and 8000 ft) and that is the bottom threshold, it needs to be harder than that
  • ugo.santalucia
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    How about the Black Rat Sportive Granfondo on 22 May this year? Starts in Bristol, goes over Severn Bridge into Wales, up th eWye Valley, past Tintern, into England, back into Wales. Some really beautiful landscapes and scenery with more than enough climbs. It uses the area that GCN use in their videos.

http://www.blackratcycle.co.uk/product. ... do-details

I'm doing the Mediofondo - IF my knee holds out. Seeing physio on Thursday so will know if I can do it or not.

Done with Wales... if it has to be Wales, then it has to take in Bwlch Y Groes, but even so, I'd probably be on my own, as my friends are no longer keen on Wales
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    If you could cope with wearing sandals, you could always do an audax, if you want a challenge that isn't the Dartmoor Classic ... for instance: http://www.torplex.org/

torplex200_profile.gif

Though, I suppose, your goal (and definition) of something truly terrifying might not be something that people trying to make sportives attractive to large numbers will be likely to do. The Dartmoor Classic is probably one of the hardest ones round here (and lots of people seem to think it's really good, well run by Mid Devon Cycling Club), but if that's not quite your bag, I'm not sure if there's anything else to match it in terms of hilliness and length. Dartmoor & Exmoor are certainly challenges, as is the Cornish coast.
  • ugo.santalucia
    If you could cope with wearing sandals, you could always do an audax, if you want a challenge that isn't the Dartmoor Classic ... for instance: http://www.torplex.org/

torplex200_profile.gif

Though, I suppose, your goal (and definition) of something truly terrifying might not be something that people trying to make sportives attractive to large numbers will be likely to do. The Dartmoor Classic is probably one of the hardest ones round here (and lots of people seem to think it's really good, well run by Mid Devon Cycling Club), but if that's not quite your bag, I'm not sure if there's anything else to match it in terms of hilliness and length. Dartmoor & Exmoor are certainly challenges, as is the Cornish coast.

The Dartmoor looks good and it seems to be challenging enough... I am not adverse to Audaxes, but they involve having a GPS, which I don't and having to plan for stops along the way.
  • buzzlightyear1
    buzzlightyear1 Posts: 16
    edited May 2016
    The Moor 2 Sea Sportive Extreme route would fit the bill I think. A greater challenge than the Dartmoor Classic and less crowded. 112 miles with 12000ft of ascent including a couple of 25% climbs. Done it a few times, great event and logistically easy as the start and finish is from Exeter Race Course right on the A38.
    http://www.moor2sea.co.uk/index.php/eve ... neral-info

Edit: Just seen your comment that you would prefer something in Spring. This unfortunately is in September.
  • ugo.santalucia
    The Moor 2 Sea Sportive Extreme route would fit the bill I think. A greater challenge than the Dartmoor Classic and less crowded. 112 miles with 12000ft of ascent including a couple of 25% climbs. Done it a few times, great event and logistically easy as the start and finish is from Exeter Race Course right on the A38.
    http://www.moor2sea.co.uk/index.php/eve ... neral-info

Looks good, but we would like something April-June :cry:

Could fit it in this year if I don't go to Italy in September...
  • I don't think you would regret it. I'm doing it again this year.
  • I've only heard good things about the Dartmoor Classic, I've done the Dartmoor Demon which was alright, Classic is meant to be much better however.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I've only heard good things about the Dartmoor Classic, I've done the Dartmoor Demon which was alright, Classic is meant to be much better however.

Thanks!

Dartmoor demon looks good too... not too long, but at the end of April 95 miles is a respectable distance... only thing against is the commercial nature... I have a bias against events profiteers
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    I know you are asking about UK rides but would you consider something overseas in Scandinavia? I have ridden the Bergen-Voss a number of times and it really is a fantastic day in the saddle. The ride is about 100 miles and generally takes place around June: http://bergenck.no/ritt/bergen-voss/
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739

The Dartmoor looks good and it seems to be challenging enough... I am not adverse to Audaxes, but they involve having a GPS, which I don't and having to plan for stops along the way.

I imagine proper beardy audax types eschew such technology as GPS in favour of those undecipherable route sheets on clipboards / handlebar bags. When I started doing audaxes five years or so ago no-one had a GPS that I remember, did one on Saturday and route sheets were few and far between.

Is the scenery of South Wales really dull? What did you expect, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon?
  • mamba80
    then there can only be only one! should tick all your boxes :) proviso... i ve never done this but i know people who have and they really rate esp as partners kids get a free day out at an amazing place, takes in some lovely places around south Cornwall.

https://www.edenproject.com/visit/whats ... ling-event
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    craker wrote:
    Is the scenery of South Wales really dull? What did you expect, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon?

Indeed, I did the Dragon last year and the scenery was stunning! Helped of course by the great weather.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    drlodge wrote:
    craker wrote:

Indeed, I did the Dragon last year and the scenery was stunning! Helped of course by the great weather.

As I said, they have changed the route since I last did it in 2008, but I remember Righos (twice) being super dull and nothing particularly beautiful, maybe the new route is better. For comparison, the Autumn Epic, also in Wales was stunning and the Etape Cymru was quite nice (although not stunning)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    drlodge wrote:
    craker wrote:

As I said, they have changed the route since I last did it in 2008, but I remember Righos (twice) being super dull and nothing particularly beautiful, maybe the new route is better. For comparison, the Autumn Epic, also in Wales was stunning and the Etape Cymru was quite nice (although not stunning)

It now heads up Bwlch then Rhigos, I have memories or some lovely views at the top of those climbs. Certainly not super dull. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7893159
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    drlodge wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    craker wrote:

It now heads up Bwlch then Rhigos, I have memories or some lovely views at the top of those climbs. Certainly not super dull. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7893159

Was the same back then... not super impressed, sorry... remember I come from the Alps and I am used to the drama of the mountains...

Anyway, as per title, it's not about Wales, but the South-West... I would consider something in Snowdonia though...
  • ugo.santalucia
    I know you are asking about UK rides but would you consider something overseas in Scandinavia? I have ridden the Bergen-Voss a number of times and it really is a fantastic day in the saddle. The ride is about 100 miles and generally takes place around June: http://bergenck.no/ritt/bergen-voss/

Norway is truly magnificent, I suspect it would blow the budget though... and that is just for the celebratory beers at the end... :lol:

10 years ago they charged 5 pounds for a small beer, these days it must be 10 or so
  • antonyfromoz

Norway is truly magnificent, I suspect it would blow the budget though... and that is just for the celebratory beers at the end... :lol:

10 years ago they charged 5 pounds for a small beer, these days it must be 10 or so

Actually, if you visited Norway 10 years ago then the prices today might be a pleasant surprise - the Norwegian Krone has fallen from about 9 to the GBP to around 12 so prices have levelled off quite a bit. Entry at the moment is 999NOK which is about £85.00 so it's not inexpensive but much more reasonable than it was -and, if I recall correctly, there was a slightly lower early bird price too.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    itboffin wrote:

Hope it doesn't sound cocky, but it's a bit too easy... we are looking for something a bit more terrifying. I have done the Chiltern 100 many times (107 miles and 8000 ft) and that is the bottom threshold, it needs to be harder than that

Yeah definitely not hard just very very scenic one to be done on an old classic steel bike at a leisurely pace, and of course the odd stop for refreshments.

Mind you we made it harder by absolutely charging on the front for 40+ mile until I saw sense and backed off.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mamba80
    Looks very beautiful but how do you get back from Voss?

also the notes say that it is always warm and dont over dress, a quick scan of the pics from 2015, shows it pee ing down and everyone dressed from head to foot lol!
  • antonyfromoz
    mamba80 wrote:
    Looks very beautiful but how do you get back from Voss?

also the notes say that it is always warm and dont over dress, a quick scan of the pics from 2015, shows it pee ing down and everyone dressed from head to foot lol!

when you sign up you can book bus transport back from Voss or there is also the train but I am not sure if this allows bikes on board. Regarding the weather - it tends to rain a lot in Bergen but I have never worn more than a gillet and arm/leg warmers on the coldest time I did it. The highest point of the ride is kvamskogen which is about 460 mts but even this was fine last time with just a cycling top and a gillet.
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    Dartmoor classic was my first sportive back in 2009 - and it was the best one I've done (may have changed since then - but we got a medal, trophy & pasties as the end).

I rode it on a standard 12-27 with no issues. But I also rode the Alps & Pyrenees on that gearing so I may not be the best judge. I would not go near the lakes without a compact.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Dartmoor classic was my first sportive back in 2009 - and it was the best one I've done (may have changed since then - but we got a medal, trophy & pasties as the end).

I rode it on a standard 12-27 with no issues. But I also rode the Alps & Pyrenees on that gearing so I may not be the best judge. I would not go near the lakes without a compact.

Thanks for the feedback... it seems to be going the Dartmoor way. 3 K of not impossible climbing could be the right balance. Newton Abbot a place worth staying or a dump?
  • mamba80

Thanks for the feedback... it seems to be going the Dartmoor way. 3 K of not impossible climbing could be the right balance. Newton Abbot a place worth staying or a dump?

much like the DC, NA isnt the best the s/w offers but its close to the start.