Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra 6800 Road Bike

13»

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    cougie wrote:
    I'd not worry about Mike Brews opinion if I were you.

FIFY
    left the forum March 2023
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Just a point about the Pro Carbon frame, for a generic Chinese frame that has probably had thousands of sales over the years I have yet to read a thread about a cracked frame or dodgy BB etc. IMO that makes it a good reliable buy and IME a very good frame.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    cougie wrote:

FIFY
    Absolutely, it's only someone else's opinion about a bicycle. Why on earth would anyone worry about it. Please feel feel to take it as lightly as I (and probably very, very many silent others) take Ugo railing against machine built wheels. Though to be fair to him(and to give credit to the powers that be) those particular philippics are becoming less and less frequent . :)

To be honest I think that this thread has been pulled way off topic by outraged PCarbon owners. All I really said was that for a £100 quid more the Evo is a better bike. Yes the other has Ultegra, but functionally it's only the equal of the £999 Evo's 105 5800 - albeit a few grams lighter. And the Evo gives you a far superior frame ...
    Does anyone really need to get quite so hot under the collar over that ...
  • hazy_day
    hazy_day Posts: 84
    Not quite the same Mike. The 105 Evo will come with an FSA chainset and Tektro brakes (I know I got one from Evans). If you want to run Shimano cranks you need a BB30/30A converter that can cost anything from 30 to 110Euro. Far superior ride I would question that and anyway ride quality is purely subjective.
  • ugo.santalucia
    MikeBrew wrote:
    All I really said was that for a £100 quid more the Evo is a better bike in my opinion

FIFY

If you want other people to say "in my opinion" then you should start using it yourself.

More to the point, you were supposed to take some photos of your recent purchase over the weekend and post them in the relevant section. Are we ever going to see the bike?
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    I tend to agree with Mike. PX are fine but they don't offer the option of choosing groupset etc like Ribble do. Yes, you get Ultegra 6800 but I would rather pay a bit more and get a Ribble Sportive Racing or R872 which have better and more up to date frames in my opinion.
  • MikeBrew
    hazy day wrote:
    Not quite the same Mike. The 105 Evo will come with an FSA chainset and Tektro brakes (I know I got one from Evans). If you want to run Shimano cranks you need a BB30/30A converter that can cost anything from 30 to 110Euro. Far superior ride I would question that and anyway ride quality is purely subjective.

Congratulations on buying -basically- the right bike. If you have tektro calipers it probably means that you bought lower specced the 2014 Evo 6. Either that or the Evans own model.
    The bike in referred to in the thread is the 2015 Evo 105 5, which has 105 calipers (as does the 2014 Evo 105-5) As for the 105 crankset well it's a BB30 frame, why buy it if you want to run a Shimano crank.
    This is getting silly now as the OP has long since gone, and the thread is population by folk who have all already bought their bikes.
    The fact that this a buying advice thread appears lost.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew wrote:
    cougie wrote:

FIFY
    Absolutely, it's only someone else's opinion about a bicycle. Why on earth would anyone worry about it. Please feel feel to take it as lightly as I (and probably very, very many silent others) take Ugo railing against machine built wheels. Though to be fair to him(and to give credit to the powers that be) those particular philippics are becoming less and less frequent . :)

To be honest I think that this thread has been pulled way off topic by outraged PCarbon owners. All I really said was that for a £100 quid more the Evo is a better bike. Yes the other has Ultegra, but functionally it's only the equal of the £999 Evo's 105 5800 - albeit a few grams lighter. And the Evo gives you a far superior frame ...
    Does anyone really need to get quite so hot under the collar over that ...

USL wrote:
    If you want other people to say "in my opinion" then you should start using it yourself.
    This is all a bit pendantic, but to humour you - I must point out that in the post to which you the refer, where you "fixed" the second paragraph, it was very clear that what was being talked about was only an opinion. To wit - mine.
    Hopefully that has "FTFY" . Though, of course, if you regularly lose the thread of a very short piece (of writing) between two consecutive paragraphs, then there's very little that I can do to help you.
  • ugo.santalucia
    So you're not going to post photos of the bike, then... :-(
  • hazy_day
    hazy_day Posts: 84
    What bike? Am I missing something?
  • Deleted several posts here. Keep the personal insults to yourselves please. Completely unnecessary.

Nothing wrong with debate, but please attack the post and not the poster.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • MikeBrew
    hazy day wrote:
    What bike? Am I missing something?

It's a CAAD 6 Saeco that I recently bought. I will get around to posting some pics once I've got it looking how I want it, and preferably with a scenic mid-ride backdrop :)
  • eespark
    eespark Posts: 10
    Yadda yadda yadda, have you looked at Boardman, apeman? If you look around you might be able to get a good 2015 SLR. Full Ultegra, even the wheels. And imo a much better frame than the planet X.