Waterproof gloves

Ross Gardner
Ross Gardner Posts: 230
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
Recently got absolutely hammered with rain on a trail... completely soaked. I had my Altura progel waterproof gloves on, and they soaked up the water like sponges. Any advice on waterproof gloves (apart from Sealskinz)?

But if Sealskinz, which ones (dragon eye, dragon eye trail, dragon eye ultralight or halo)?

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Giro DND. They come in lots of colors, I have the Neon green/orange ones in M, they fit perfectly, unlike many other gloves I've tried. They're really thin, especially on the back, but even after a few crashes there actually isn't any damage I can find.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Ross Gardner
    I didn't like any of the colours (sorry). Thanks for the advice though.

I'm looking for white /silver / red (or any mixture of the 3), and maybe a bit of black.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I always wear Troy Lee GP gloves. Great quality, cheap and last ages. Good protection on the knuckles as well.
    I'm not cool so I wear whatever colour is cheapest.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I recently bought a pair of Endure Humvee Lite gloves. They are a good fit and nice and thin.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    JBA wrote:
    I recently bought a pair of Endure Humvee Lite gloves. They are a good fit and nice and thin.

Anything by Endura. I have the Full Monty and they're excellent.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I really rate my endura strike gloves, more winter than summer gloves, but pretty thin whilst being warm and retaining good finger movement. The trade off being they aren't quite warm enough for the very coldest days, but a great all rounder.

But probably not what your looking for if you want something really thin. Back on topic, you really are better off trying some on, I was dead set on some sealskinz gloves, went to an Evans cycle shop where they had a decent variety of sealskinz, endura and altura gloves, changed my mind and went with the endura strike.
  • Ross Gardner
    What's the opinion on inner gloves? Could I use them as a normal glove instead?

I like the look of these:
    67502.jpg
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    These are my choice of gloves for thin and lite
    Endura Hummvee or Singletrack Lite
    TLD XC

If it's a little colder these
    Fox Rangers
    Spiuk XP or Country
  • rockmonkeysc
    White gloves took terrible after a couple rides.
    Those look like liner gloves. Fairly pointless using them on their own, they'll give absolutely no protection.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And wear fast.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Fairly pointless using them on their own, they'll give absolutely no protection.

Which is the whole point in wearing gloves in the first place - to stop you going home with gravel embedded in the palms of your hands.
  • Ross Gardner
    White gloves took terrible after a couple rides.

Fairly pointless using them on their own, they'll give absolutely no protection.

Which is the whole point in wearing gloves in the first place - to stop you going home with gravel embedded in the palms of your hands.

Yeah, that was a stupid question which I knew the answer to. I just never heard of them before. I guess they're for a smoother feel inside a winter glove... or totally pointless. I still like the look of white gloves: I think it's stupid thing to diss white gloves... they get as dirty as any.

I had a look at some Endura today... didn't see any Sealskinz or TDL XC. Going to look at a few other places tomorrow.
  • rockmonkeysc
    White gloves look old after a single ride. Rubber bar grips turn the palms black and ground in dirt on the backs shows up worse than any other colour.
    I won a pair of white Troy Lee gloves in a race and they looked worse than my two year old gloves within a week. They were binned within a month.
    Liner gloves give an extra layer of thermal insulation in winter to keep your hands nice and warm in sub zero temperatures.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've got a pair of 100% gloves that I rate highly. I've got the brisker at the moment to get me through winter but looking at a thinner pair for summer.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Ross Gardner
    White gloves look old after a single ride. Rubber bar grips turn the palms black and ground in dirt on the backs shows up worse than any other colour.

Not washable friendly then?
    Liner gloves give an extra layer of thermal insulation in winter to keep your hands nice and warm in sub zero temperatures.

Obviously. I have an inner idiot sometimes... I was thinking of what I would like about them.

I checked 100% gloves... they have an invisible glove (well, almost)!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/100- ... prod121142
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    White gloves (pretty much anything white tbh) stains in dirt and stays yellow, even if you wash it like crazy with lots of different chemicals. They look nice when they arrive but just are sad to look at after the first ride.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Kickaxe wrote:
    White gloves (pretty much anything white tbh) stains in dirt and stays yellow, even if you wash it like crazy with lots of different chemicals. They look nice when they arrive but just are sad to look at after the first ride.

Exactly. Our first club jerseys were mainly white. No one wore them after a couple months because dirt permanently stained them.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You seem to be overthinking this, Ross.
    Go to a shop, try on some gloves and buy the pair you like the most (or go home and order them cheaper on line if you can).
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Ross Gardner
    JBA wrote:
    You seem to be overthinking this, Ross.
    Go to a shop, try on some gloves and buy the pair you like the most (or go home and order them cheaper on line if you can).

I have been looking at gloves in store already, and will continue when I can.

So far I've been to two different stores (not much, but a start), trying on and looking at other stuff as well.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Take a look at these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod110680

And these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod133531

And these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod112927

All excellent quality and all in a huge range of colours.
    I've just ordered myself a pair of the Troy Lee's in yellow
  • Angus Young
    Shame about the profoundly hideous design of all of Troy Lee's kit because it always rates very highly.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Design is quite subjective though. I lot of people really like the look of Troy Lee kit. Most of their kit I don't like though.
  • Angus Young
    I lot of people really like the look of Troy Lee kit.

Definitely. I'd guess that most people who by it don't really know who he is, so it's not the name.

I've yet to see a bad review, though.
  • Ross Gardner

It's tennis ball green, and it makes me dry heave.

The red Fox Racing look a safe pair. The 100% red has a white thumb, which is concerning. I don't like the Troy Lees... it's either black, pink or vomit-enducing green... due to the others being white palms. The Endura Full Monty have gray palms. How about gray? Is it going to stain the same as white?
  • Angus Young

It's tennis ball green, and it makes me dry heave.

The red Fox Racing look a safe pair. The 100% red has a white thumb, which is concerning. I don't like the Troy Lees... it's either black, pink or vomit-enducing green... due to the others being white palms. The Endura Full Monty have gray palms. How about gray? Is it going to stain the same as white?

I've got the Full Montys - they're excellent. I've been off on them loads of times and they still look like new. Great feel, great protection and, no, they don't stain. They're fine on hot days and O.K. for all but the coldest of days.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'm slightly confused. Are you going mountain biking or is this some weird fashion thing going on?
  • Angus Young
    I'm slightly confused. Are you going mountain biking or is this some weird fashion thing going on?

Nothing wrong with a young fellow wishing to look presentable while he's gadding about.
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    Glad someone started this thread as I'll be in the market this week for a new pair of gloves too. I don't mind a bit of style but I've found after only a couple of years I really don't consider it too much anymore and just pick up whats comfortable. I think trying pairs on in the shops is definitely the way to go.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • Ross Gardner
    I got the Endura Full Monty gloves in red. Thanks for the advice.
  • +1 for Endura. I have the Humvee and am very pleased with them.