Goodbye stranger Saturday thread

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,359
edited May 2016 in The bottom bracket
Meh. Lost tinternet connection last night after hours of cross referencing accounts (unsuccessfully). Works one way but not the other.
Later, Goldilocks and the 3 bars with my (currently) very troublesome toots. I'd leave them with the wannabe MIL for a week just so they get a different perspective but that would be child abuse.

Laters.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Bit of turbo this morning, off into Birmingham to meet the Mrs, look at bike bits (she isn't aware of this yet) might try and see if I can have a go on a bike with sram on Steve's recommendation. Then pub later. So not bad really.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pinno
    Birmingham? Sram?... :roll:

Now how can I bring light to the savages...
  • Few pints last night, so a gentle shake down run on the new Planet X today .
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    rather hungover this morning, went to sushisamba, an evening of much bolly, port, cocktails, and just a trace of food

considered hill repeats, went up to highgate, but after the first one decided i was in no fit state and headed back to do a few laps around regent's park before settling down outside the cafe for espresso and a lovely jamón serrano and cheese toasted croissant, yum
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    58 miles with no cafe stop. WTF is that all about?

Just sat chilling but totally goosed as the pace was rather quick this morning with a back drop of missed rides and unridden miles for the last few weeks. Thinking of the soon to be ordered curry, couple of beers and a night in with my better half..

Have a great bank holiday fellow degenerates, losers and two wheel enthusiasts.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Bit of turbo this morning, off into Birmingham to meet the Mrs, look at bike bits (she isn't aware of this yet) might try and see if I can have a go on a bike with sram on Steve's recommendation. Then pub later. So not bad really.
    Somebody taking my advice on road bike stuff is a bit of a first :D

CB, let me know what you think, be interested to know. I just cant see why two levers are needed when one will do...

Spent 5 hours driving North through Bank Holiday traffic then doing a load of shopping and other stuff. Now watching the Arsenal game on SKY (don't worry Pinno - no spoilers :wink: )
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Evening folks,
    Tired after a day of doing stuff and fixing stuff, or at least trying to. One of the poxy igniter thingy on the cooker is broken. Tried to swap them around but of course the broken one is a different size to the others. Smeg cookers are exactly as the name implies, smeg.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Somebody taking my advice on road bike stuff is a bit of a first :D

CB, let me know what you think, be interested to know. I just cant see why two levers are needed when one will do...

Spent 5 hours driving North through Bank Holiday traffic then doing a load of shopping and other stuff. Now watching the Arsenal game on SKY (don't worry Pinno - no spoilers :wink: )

i like it actually, definitely considering it. looks good too.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666
    CB did you try Rival or Force?

Not cheap but lighter than Shimano equivalent I think. Main thing is whether you like the way it works.

(PS yay, none of this Campag shyte :P)

I found a roadie bike I like but they don't do it in SRAM flavour any more so may defer for now. Ho hum.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:

(PS yay, none of this Campag shyte :P) 1

I found a roadie bike I like but they don't do it in SRAM flavour any more so may defer for now. 2

1. That confirms you are a crudder/Philistine if it hadn't been confirmed already.
    2. They don't do it in Sram flavour anymore 'cos it's shyte.
  • Stevo_666
    No sh1t Sherlock :)

I googled the phrase 'Campag Snob' out of interest and got a lot of search results :wink:
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I googled the phrase 'Campag Snob' out of interest and got a lot of search results :wink:

Style is temporary, quality is permanent.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Quality might be, but not so sure about poor old Campy :wink:
    http://road.cc/content/news/141525-campagnolo-strike-threat-1-5-jobs-cut-vicenza-hq
    Stock up while you still can...
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Quality might be, but not so sure about poor old Campy :wink:
    http://road.cc/content/news/141525-campagnolo-strike-threat-1-5-jobs-cut-vicenza-hq
    Stock up while you still can...

Unfortunately, that's the way of the world. A lot of stuff is produced in Taiwan - FSA for example but FSA is actually very good quality. Pinarello's are made in the far east - sacrilege some might say. However:

[On SRAM] "The company grew organically and through acquisitions to become one of the largest high-end cycling component brands in the world, selling under the brands SRAM, Avid, RockShox, Truvativ, Quarq, and Zipp. Their components are manufactured primarily in-house, in factories located in Portugal, Taiwan, China, and the U.S., and distributed and sold as Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) equipment and aftermarket components in high-end markets globally."

I like the oxymoron - "... in-house, in factories located in Portugal, Taiwan, China, and the U.S."

All the R & D on the West where there is the network of expertise but production where it is cheap. Common business model.
  • Stevo_666
    In that link of mine it says Campy are decamping production to Romania to stay competitive. Sounds like moving to Romania might be a bad idea as some of the Campy snobs might not want to something that says 'made in Romania' on it :)

But apart from being made in Italy for now and looking a bit tarty, why buy it over Shimano or SRAM?
  • veronese68
    I like the made in Italy bit, but I wouldn't buy a new bike without discs so Campy wouldn't even get a look in if I was in the market.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I like the made in Italy bit, but I wouldn't buy a new bike without discs so Campy wouldn't even get a look in if I was in the market.
    So they don't do MTB groupsets and they don't do disc brakes? They're going the same way as Marzocchi...buy now while they're still around.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    But apart from being made in Italy for now and looking a bit tarty, why buy it over Shimano or SRAM?

Compatibility for one. If you already have Campag on one bike, why buy Shimano or SRAM? I have always demoted my old groupset and wheels to the Winter bike when it's getting on a little or I just fancy some new bits.
    In terms of wear and tear, Campag is far superior. I rode Shimano before I could afford Campag.
    If you want proof, have a look on fleabay - second hand Campag really holds it's price - whatever age, whereas Shimano doesn't.
    It's a roadie thing. It's an argument that has raged for decades, so you won't understand.

When you weigh 67kg's, you don't need discs. They pro's have hurtled down the mountains for donkey's on rim brakes with only a few miss-haps, so why the farq do you need disc brakes unless you're too chunky to ride a bike [ :D ] and you live in Blighty?.
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2016
    How many of us lot weigh 67kg? :) Ask any mountain biker, rim brakes are shyte.

Campy is very small compared to Shimano and SRAM for a reason :wink:
  • pinno
    Quality not quantity.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Quality not quantity.
    I hear a lot of Campy snobs say that. Ever heard of purchase justification :wink:
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Quality not quantity.
    I hear a lot of Campy snobs say that. Ever heard of purchase justification :wink:

Have you ridden 24+ years on Campag?

Being reasonably good with fettling and having fitted, maintained and serviced a lot of bikes [unlike some] with Shimano and Campag, you see the difference. two friends with Campag furnished bikes come back once in a blue moon for a chain whereas the others...

One guy has a Ridgeback* with Ultegra on it. He commutes about 9 miles per day. Not a lot and recently (well, November) I replaced the front mech, rear mech, gear cables, chain, cassette and both sets of wheel bearings. It was an inch more economical than getting a whole new gruppo. The SPD's, the chainset.BB and the wonky brake calipers will be next.
    I fitted a DA groupset to another friends Look 361 frameset. So silky smooth from the off but slowly but surely, fettling problems and wear. Supposed pre-stretched cables that stretched and so the indexing needed constant tinkering. He's done 2 (summer) seasons on it - IRO 9,000 miles, replaced 4 chains, an inner chainring, 2 cassettes (just two weeks ago was the last TBF) and it's ready for the bin.
    The gear levers are loose, especially when shifting between the 14, 15 and 16 tooth sprockets - obviously the most used.
    Shimano wears out and Campag wears in.

*Ridgeback are a bit naughty - the brake calipers and the triple Chainset aren't Ultegra. Sold as 'Shimano throughout', yeah okay...
  • veronese68
    Pinno wrote:
    They pro's have hurtled down the mountains for donkey's on rim brakes...
    That argument always makes me laugh. I'm not delusional, I know I'm not a pro why would I give a flying fig what the pros do? I ride in the real world where lots of unpredictable things happen because people are idiots, so I want good brakes whatever the weather. The fact that the best brakes aren't chewing up my wheel rim is an added bonus, never mind that I don't have to adjust them as they wear. One of the criticisms of disc brakes for pros was there would be riders with different levels of braking in the pack which could cause accidents. I don't ride in a pack so it doesn't bother me, oh and hang on that means they are criticising disc brakes for being better. How can having better brakes that don't wear your rims and don't need adjusting for wear be a bad thing? Oh, unless you think you're about to be called up for the Tour de France. :lol:
  • pinno
    My argument about rim brakes vs discs was that at 50mph plus going down the side of the Galibier with rim brakes with hardly a fatality and I am not riding in the Alps...
    You commute through the big smoke with potholes, cabbies and more tw@ts than you can shake a stick at. Horses for courses.
    '
  • pinno
    Those who have never ridden Campag say it's not for them...
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Those who have never ridden Campag say it's not for them...
    I'll give them a pop as soon as they make stuff for mountain bikes. And disc brakes. :)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Campag did make MTB stuff at one time, about 2006-2008 I think. I presume they decided their core clientele was not really interested so shelved it.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    do you chaps want to have the full argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Campag did make MTB stuff at one time, about 2006-2008 I think. I presume they decided their core clientele was not really interested so shelved it.
    You mean they sold sweet FA? :)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    You mean they sold sweet FA? :)

I would guess that had something to do with it, although doesn't mean it was a bad product. I think they were only ever targeted at the hybrid/touring bike market rather than proper MTB stuff anyway. It's a bit like Italian made MTB's though - Wilier, Pinarello, Bianchi and even Colnago all make them, but they don't exactly sell loads...

I did have some sets of the Campag flat bar 10 spd road Brifters, Chorus level carbon lever things which were just beautiful for the road triple groups.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS