Trek Domane SLR vs Gensis Datum, Vs Giant Defy SL Pro 0, Vs Kinesis GF Ti

2»

Comments

• pigeontoes
    pigeontoes Posts: 73
    I got a Kona Roadhouse 3 months ago as a do-it-all bike - really pleased with it. Happily using it for commuting (15 miles each way with panniers) and long weekend rides including potholed country lanes and bridleways. I'm actually quicker than on my previous pure road bike, probably because I'm more comfortable in the slightly more upright position.

It is slightly on the heavy side but can't say I've noticed it even on steep hills.
  • alanO
    alanO Posts: 13
    Hi Rando,

AFAIK the geometry hasn't changed, I made the switch on advise from the bike shop and after a fitting session on both a 58 and a 60. The 58 just felt more comfortable.

I hope you enjoy your test ride :-)

HTH
    alanO
  • flintlock
    flintlock Posts: 105
    Any pics of the SLR?

Cheers
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    alanO wrote:
    As requested I did a little testing last night, Domane 7 SLR vs the Domane 2.3.

My 2.3 is 3 years old and standard apart from Fulcrum racing 3 wheels shod with Conti GP 4000II tyres it is a 60 frame and I have always found it an excellent bike.

The SLR I have is an SLR 7, 58 frame size, with rim brakes and DI2 gears. The SLR comes with Paradigm Comp TLR wheels and 700 X 28 Bontrager R3 tyres.
    In order to make the test about the frame I swapped the Fulcrum 3’s from my 2.3 onto the SLR, to eliminate any potential extra cushioning that the wider rims and tyres might give.
    I rode a loop I know well it is about 10 miles long and covers some pretty bumpy country roads. I did the loop on the 2.3 first as a baseline.

Then I changed the cassette and put the Fulcrum 3’s on the SLR. I rode the SLR around the loop with the rear ISO speed set to its most compliant setting (slider at the bottom).

WOW !! :D:D:D The difference between the SLR and the 2.3.

The SLR is a fair bit lighter than the 2.3 (nearly 2kgs I think). The SLR felt very smooth especially under my bottom.
    The steering is quick and direct, without being too twitchy, the whole bike seemed balanced from front to back. I couldn’t detect and “looseness” in the steering at all. The 2.3 can/does feel like the front end is a little harsh whist the back end is a lot smoother. This wasn’t apparent on the SLR, I think that ISO speed on the front in combination with the new bars really does help to smooth things out. This may also be due to the carbon frame of the SLR vs the ally frame of the 2.3.

Part of the route is a fairly small but steep climb, on the 2.3 when sitting and pedalling hard you can feel the seat moving slightly, the SLR does the same, it doesn’t seem any more or less than the 2.3. I am not a power monster (6ft4’ and 85kgs) when standing up, putting in a lot of effort both the SLR and the 2.3 are stiff I couldn’t detect any flex in the frame, steering or wheel set. The next run (it was getting late by this time) I put the adjustable rear ISO speed to its stiffest setting (slider at the top). You can immediately tell the difference, you can feel the stiffness on your bottom and you feel the little bumps and undulations on the road that weren’t obvious on previous rides. It really does make a difference.

Since I haven’t ridden any other road bikes other than my 2.3 I can’t say if this is as stiff as say a Madone or an Emonda, my impression was that I could feel more of the road than I would on the 2.3 and on the previous run.I ran out of time to test with the Bontrager wheels and 28c tyres. I’ll save that for another day.

Hope you find this useful.
    alanO

Useful?
    I have just one word.... Jealous!!!

Glad you're enjoying your 'new toy'. And what lovely weather for test rides.

Steve
  • alanO
    alanO Posts: 13
    Hi all,
    Pics as requested.

Yes I know I feel dirty putting mountain bike pedals on it :oops: but they work for me.. Steerer will get trimmed when I am certain the drop on the bars suits me.

IMG_0332_zpsfbkst6n0.jpg

Rear adjustable ISO speedIMG_0333_zpso5utfm85.jpg

Front ISO speed lives under the cover on the head tube
    IMG_0336_zpsdsgnapzz.jpg

The paint is a matt finish, the base colour is white with little metallic flecks through it and doesn't show up quite as white in the flesh, as it does in my pics.

I live in the Scottish Borders Steve, weather hasn't been that great up here, hopefully it will be nice this weekend for a good ride out.
  • flintlock
    flintlock Posts: 105
    Looks really good, thanks for the pics.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Thank you AlanO. Seems like an excellent toy to play around with. Thank you for the pictures as well.