Trek Domane SLR vs Gensis Datum, Vs Giant Defy SL Pro 0, Vs Kinesis GF Ti

hsiaolc
hsiaolc Posts: 492
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Which one will the above mentioned frame set will you choose without taking into account of money?

If none of the above then name the bike that is on your wish list?

Comments

• indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Trek Domane. I'd like to give that upfront ISO a go and the adjustable rear.

If on looks alone then Kinesis GF Ti - has same/similar geometry to the T2 which I have and get on well with, plus I'd like to find out whether a Titanium made frame is really that comfortable.
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Trek Domane SLR etap
    http://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes ... 77090-2017

But as that's way over my budget then the Kinesis GF ti disc with Di2 and decent wheels.
  • Domane, to replace the Domane I already have
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Trek and Giant have lifetime warranty on their frames, not sure about other two.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Domane, to replace the Domane I already have

+1.... Although, I'm not at all unhappy with the one I have now!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    ... to do what? They seem a range of trendy bikes but rather different in purpose

I find all these long headtube bikes some kind of compromise that might or might not work for you... in theory is the only bike that you need, but typically they are purchased by folks who already have a collection of bikes, hence they are "do it all" which become "good for nothing", as they are not as good as a road bike, not as good as a mountain bike or even just a cyclocross and effectively destined to the trendy "gravel", which is virtually inexistent... however, if you are looking for the one and only do-it-all, that's the one
    left the forum March 2023
  • hsiaolc
    ... to do what? They seem a range of trendy bikes but rather different in purpose

I find all these long headtube bikes some kind of compromise that might or might not work for you... in theory is the only bike that you need, but typically they are purchased by folks who already have a collection of bikes, hence they are "do it all" which become "good for nothing", as they are not as good as a road bike, not as good as a mountain bike or even just a cyclocross and effectively destined to the trendy "gravel", which is virtually inexistent... however, if you are looking for the one and only do-it-all, that's the one

I have road bikes and mountain bikes. I am looking for do it all bikes. I don't race so I don't really believe I need anything racy. Want maximum comfort but not willing to ride a full sus to commute with.

Thats the one? which one?
  • hsiaolc
    Elfed wrote:
    Trek and Giant have lifetime warranty on their frames, not sure about other two.

Genesis has lifetime guarantee too.

I don't normally stick with a bike that long but I am a sucker for lifetime warranty.
  • ugo.santalucia
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Elfed wrote:

Genesis has lifetime guarantee too.

I don't normally stick with a bike that long but I am a sucker for lifetime warranty.

For what it's worth... when my genesis fork broke they didn't have a replacement, so I got a 100 pounds voucher instead... that should buy me a carbon fork for disc... yeah, right... :roll:
  • ugo.santalucia
    hsiaolc wrote:

I have road bikes and mountain bikes. I am looking for do it all bikes. I don't race so I don't really believe I need anything racy. Want maximum comfort but not willing to ride a full sus to commute with.

If you have race bikes and MTBikes, I really don't understand why you want a do-it-all bike. It's like having a Mercedes S class and a Defender, but somehow feeling the need for a Discovery, for those trips that might involve 200 miles of motorway but the last half a mile on a gravel road.

I would not know which one to recommend, I have never ridden any of them... would probably go for the Planet X Bish Bash Bosh myself
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The kenesis is my choice as it is more like a road bike than the others. Given the datum got discontinued almost straight after release finding one would be hard and getting s replacement if you need to difficult. There will be a new model in 2017 but it is likely that it will sell out quickly and then no more available till 2018.

Nothing wrong with long headtubes. Many of the road bikes i have going back to the ninties have long headtubes (200mm) but since i am tall i need it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    hsiaolc wrote:

N+1!!!!!!!!! At the budget for all of these admittedly great bikes, perhaps a do it all bike (aka the Defender) and some sort of hot hatch? I'd echo Ugo's suggestion of a Bish Bash, or CX+ as it might be called. Then something nice for the road frequently travelled.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Try the Domane....I have a 6 series and it's the best bike I've ever had. More relaxed than a pure racer (helps my lower back), amazingly comfortable, but yet still very, very fast - so you don't have to compromise on anything.

The new SLR appears to offer even more comfort, with the ability to adjust to make it as stiff as an edmonda if required....sounds like the perfect bike to me!
  • bendertherobot
    I do love the idea of that front suspension thing mind.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Which one will the above mentioned frame set will you choose without taking into account of money?

Didn't you send your Kinesis back?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    The kenesis is my choice as it is more like a road bike than the others. Given the datum got discontinued almost straight after release finding one would be hard and getting s replacement if you need to difficult. There will be a new model in 2017 but it is likely that it will sell out quickly and then no more available till 2018.

Nothing wrong with long headtubes. Many of the road bikes i have going back to the ninties have long headtubes (200mm) but since i am tall i need it.

The Datum was discontinued???
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I think he means the 2016 production run sold out and no more will be made until the 2017 model. One of the problems of having to rely on someone else's production facilities...
  • bendertherobot
    I'm glad someone asked! How many did they sell? I really like the look of that bike.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    How ever many they sold, I would imagine Genesis will be slightly increasing their order for next year... ;)
  • hsiaolc
    MrB123 wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:

Didn't you send your Kinesis back?

I cancelled. I wanted to look at other options. I am glad I did.

The Domane seems really ground breaking.
  • alanO
    alanO Posts: 13
    SME wrote:

+2
    I pick up my SLR this afternoon :D

It will be replacing my 3 year old 2.3, which has served me very well indeed.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    alanO wrote:

Oooh you lucky thing!
    I wish you many happy miles - will you give us your impressions after a few rides?
    Very interested in the ability to make the bike as stiff as an Edmonda (apparently) when appropriate - its like having this best of all worlds.
  • rando
    alanO wrote:
    SME wrote:

+2

alan0 - i too would be very interested in a ride report from you on the new SLR. I currently have 2 Domane's (2.3 and a 5.2) but am extremely keen on the new version and might be tempted to upgrade !
  • alanO
    Thanks for the good wishes, this is my first (and the wife says last) very expensive bike.

I should have the SLR out this evening, so will post up my impressions of the SLR vs the 2.3. I have only been road riding for 3 years and haven't ridden any other road bikes than my 2.3 so my experience is limited.

I am sure I can't match Benders eloquence (I do enjoy his reviews) , but I will try my best.

AlanO
  • rando
    alanO wrote:
    Thanks for the good wishes, this is my first (and the wife says last) very expensive bike.

I should have the SLR out this evening, so will post up my impressions of the SLR vs the 2.3. I have only been road riding for 3 years and haven't ridden any other road bikes than my 2.3 so my experience is limited.

I am sure I can't match Benders eloquence (I do enjoy his reviews) , but I will try my best.

AlanO

Have you gone for a Disc version ?
  • alanO
    I went for Standard (rim brakes).
    I have always been happy with the performance of the rim brakes on the 2.3 didn't see a need for change just for changes sake.
    I was sold on the electronic shifters, looks much neater around the front end with less cables,E shifting seems to get rave reviews so I thought it was a worthwhile.

AlanO
  • hsiaolc
    alanO wrote:
    SME wrote:

+2

Waah lucky you. Please keep us posted with your thoughts.
  • alanO
    As requested I did a little testing last night, Domane 7 SLR vs the Domane 2.3.

My 2.3 is 3 years old and standard apart from Fulcrum racing 3 wheels shod with Conti GP 4000II tyres it is a 60 frame and I have always found it an excellent bike.

The SLR I have is an SLR 7, 58 frame size, with rim brakes and DI2 gears. The SLR comes with Paradigm Comp TLR wheels and 700 X 28 Bontrager R3 tyres.
    In order to make the test about the frame I swapped the Fulcrum 3’s from my 2.3 onto the SLR, to eliminate any potential extra cushioning that the wider rims and tyres might give.
    I rode a loop I know well it is about 10 miles long and covers some pretty bumpy country roads. I did the loop on the 2.3 first as a baseline.

Then I changed the cassette and put the Fulcrum 3’s on the SLR. I rode the SLR around the loop with the rear ISO speed set to its most compliant setting (slider at the bottom).

WOW !! :D:D:D The difference between the SLR and the 2.3.

The SLR is a fair bit lighter than the 2.3 (nearly 2kgs I think). The SLR felt very smooth especially under my bottom.
    The steering is quick and direct, without being too twitchy, the whole bike seemed balanced from front to back. I couldn’t detect and “looseness” in the steering at all. The 2.3 can/does feel like the front end is a little harsh whist the back end is a lot smoother. This wasn’t apparent on the SLR, I think that ISO speed on the front in combination with the new bars really does help to smooth things out. This may also be due to the carbon frame of the SLR vs the ally frame of the 2.3.

Part of the route is a fairly small but steep climb, on the 2.3 when sitting and pedalling hard you can feel the seat moving slightly, the SLR does the same, it doesn’t seem any more or less than the 2.3. I am not a power monster (6ft4’ and 85kgs) when standing up, putting in a lot of effort both the SLR and the 2.3 are stiff I couldn’t detect any flex in the frame, steering or wheel set. The next run (it was getting late by this time) I put the adjustable rear ISO speed to its stiffest setting (slider at the top). You can immediately tell the difference, you can feel the stiffness on your bottom and you feel the little bumps and undulations on the road that weren’t obvious on previous rides. It really does make a difference.

Since I haven’t ridden any other road bikes other than my 2.3 I can’t say if this is as stiff as say a Madone or an Emonda, my impression was that I could feel more of the road than I would on the 2.3 and on the previous run.I ran out of time to test with the Bontrager wheels and 28c tyres. I’ll save that for another day.

Hope you find this useful.
    alanO
  • bendertherobot
    Review on road.cc of the SLR http://road.cc/content/review/187715-trek-domane-slr-6

Suggests you can dial in the back end to ape the Emonda!
  • rando
    Thanks alan0 for the ride report and comparision with your 2.3 domane. I have not checked the geometry on the Domane SLR as assumed it was the same as current version but notice you have gone from a 60 to 58 frame.
    I might see if a well known bike shop can get me the SLR in for a test ride !