Which App To Use With Wattbike

silverbugle
silverbugle Posts: 21
I use a Wattbike about twice a week, usually for LT or VO2 max type interval sessions. I have got a choice of connecting to the Wattbike monitor either on ANT+ with a Garmin Edge 520 or Bluetooth with the Wattbike Power App on my phone.

If I use the Edge, I will be able to review my ride data with Garmin Connect, if I use my phone I will be able to review my ride data on the Wattbike Power Hub. As far as I can tell there is no crossover between the two.

All my other cycling and running data is on Garmin Connect.

In the ideal world I would like to be looking at all my sessions in one place, but I wonder if the Wattbike app is easier to use to get the best out of the Wattbike data, or is the Garmin Connect good enough.

Has anyone use either of these methods of interacting with the Wattbike and what do you think of the relative ease of using the data on each system.

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I have a wattbike profile setup on my garmin edge 1000 (or rather used to, until the last firmware update :-/ . I use that to collect the data as I have my zones set properly on my garmin.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    I use my Edge 520 with the wattbike (with a dedicated wattbike profile), from which I ping the data from Garmin Connect (awful) to Strava (a little more helpful) to training peaks (well worth the premium subscription, and where all of my "real" data is kept). But the only thing I particularly care about are watts, HR, time, pseudo-speed & distance (admittedly not really valid, but I like stationary "miles" to count toward my cumulative totals), and cadence. I see no difference between the WB head unit and my garmin for any of these metrics (ie, there is no transmission lag/dropouts). The extra WB stuff that doesn't get transmitted comes down mainly to the peanut (the power distribution profile); I understand current reasoned opinion is that this is utter hogwash.

That said, I've lost a bit of faith in the wattbike ... latest issue loads of very anomalous wattage readings and my gym can't be arsed to sort it out and don't know enough about wattbikes to explain the problem properly to the engineers. Happily this has coincided with better weather so I'm more likely to ride outside.
  • ravenvrider
    ravenvrider Posts: 198
    I used to record on my Garmin 500 and upload to strava and training peaks but also put a usb in and record direct off the wattbike but found using the wattbike software a bit well old school so just used strava.