Power, training and advice please

graemevet
graemevet Posts: 61
Hi, please be gentle with me!

I'm new to cycling - I started seriously about 18-24 months ago. I built a good base last year and completed London to Paris last summer over 4 days averaging 18km/h. Then I didn't go on the bike for 4 months...

I'm getting back into it again this spring and want to build up to club runs and hillier rides. Long term aim is LEJOG in 2017. Want to be able to cruise at 25km/h avg over rolling terrain for 2-3 hrs. I'm 34, have a resting HR of 65 and a max of 186. I've just completed my first FTP test and have a figure of 109 (67kgs so 1.62w/kg). I'm carrying 5kg of success ballast compared to last summer when I was at my fittest! During the test my HR topped out at 179 but was above 165 for the full 20 mins. In hind sight I could probably have gone a little harder. This was all measured via my Garmin / HR strap and a shiny new Stages powermeter (overkill but nice to have).

So, in terms of power and fitness, where am I starting from. What sort of training should I be doing and what sort of gains do you think its possible to make over the next 6 months?

Thanks,

Graeme

Comments