Defy 0 or Defy Advance 2 or CAAD12

2»

Comments

• banditvic wrote:
    Here's a far better idea, book yourself a Holiday to Gran Canaria. Hire a CAAD 12 from Freemotion, have a great week cycling then buy a second hand one off of them for 899 Euros. That's what I just did, they fit new chain, cassette, bar tape and tyres and take all the protective tape off, couldn't see a mark on mine except for the Chainset where the chain goes. They also take your hire cost off of the purchase price, so the smart idea is to hire a Hi Mod for the week. Just a thought. :D

Sounds a great idea ! Unfortunately all holidays are now booked up so will be pursuing conventional procurement options ;-)
  • thepeginator
    thepeginator Posts: 147
    ^ it's going to very much depend on how much bar drop the OP likes, if he likes a lot of drop a smaller frame will make sense with a longer stem to adjust for the reduced top tube length. If he prefers less bar drop then a medium frame with a shorter stem might make more sense.

OP. what length stem do you use? is it angled down or up? and how many mm's of spacers do you use under the stem on your current medium defy?

Stem is 100mm and points slightly upwards and I have all spacers in place (25mm). I don't like hanging over the bars which is probably why the Defy medium is comfortable (I have saddle set low so at a similar height to handle bars.
    If you're running a positive stem angle AND 25mm of spacers on a Defy which is a more relaxed geometry I'd say a CAAD is the wrong frame for you. A CAAD is a proper racing thoroughbred at heart, same as the supersix which the pros use, it's low and it's aggressive. It sounds like you'd be better looking at a Synapse, which would have a geometry far more naturally suited to your position.
  • ^ it's going to very much depend on how much bar drop the OP likes, if he likes a lot of drop a smaller frame will make sense with a longer stem to adjust for the reduced top tube length. If he prefers less bar drop then a medium frame with a shorter stem might make more sense.

OP. what length stem do you use? is it angled down or up? and how many mm's of spacers do you use under the stem on your current medium defy?

Stem is 100mm and points slightly upwards and I have all spacers in place (25mm). I don't like hanging over the bars which is probably why the Defy medium is comfortable (I have saddle set low so at a similar height to handle bars.
    If you're running a positive stem angle AND 25mm of spacers on a Defy which is a more relaxed geometry I'd say a CAAD is the wrong frame for you. A CAAD is a proper racing thoroughbred at heart, same as the supersix which the pros use, it's low and it's aggressive. It sounds like you'd be better looking at a Synapse, which would have a geometry far more naturally suited to your position.

You may well be right in that the synapse may be a better fit for me (coming from a Defy 1) - I have a 52cm CAAD 12 Ultegra coming into my LBS to try out for size - should this not be suitable, which Synapse would be a good equivalent buy (in terms of spec) - I guess the Carbon synapse 105 ? Anybody got any views about this bike ?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Sat on a 54 CAAD 12 on Friday and is definitely too big (seat post was right down and could not reach the floor and was clearly over reaching re the handlebars)

If you are mentioning not being able to touch the floor with your feet I am a little bit concerned that you aren't going about this the right way. The relevant saddle height is with respect to the pedals not the floor - if you can touch the floor the saddle is likely too low. Perhaps getting a bike fit as part of the purchasing process would be a good idea - most decent shops will discount the cost of a fitting from the bike price - assuming you do buy one of course :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • thepeginator
    ^ Also agree with what Svetty says here. If you clearly feel like you're over reaching then that's another matter but as stated, if you can touch the floor when sat in the saddle then it's highly likely your saddle is way too low.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If you don't get on with the 52cm Caad12 geometry, then a 54cm Synapse is a close match to your Defy 1 medium.

Defy Med.
    Stack 56.7cm
    Reach 37.7cm

Synapse 54cm
    Stack 57.0cm
    Reach 37.8cm
  • ^ Also agree with what Svetty says here. If you clearly feel like you're over reaching then that's another matter but as stated, if you can touch the floor when sat in the saddle then it's highly likely your saddle is way too low.
    Have often wondered if saddle a bit too low but have set it based on the "heel to pedal" method and when I do pedal, if my saddle were much higher I feel that my knee would lock out (currently a slight kink at knee when at full pedal extension) - also, as my bike is also my commuter (lots of city centre stopping in traffic/at lights) I have been happy to have the ability to touch ground with feet (albeit just my tip toes) when having to stop quickly.
    Re the CAAD 12 54, I couldn't even touch floor with tips of toes with a very low set saddle and was definitely over-reaching to the bars - so will be a 52 CAAD or a 54 Synapse (based on the measurements provided by the poster above - thanks)
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    knightlore. you are in a prime position to get a bike fit. it is worthwhile. even micro adjustments make a huge difference.

Giant Store do powerfit, and many stores do otherwise. Research and find one with a great fitting reputation.

Approach a store that has most of the options you are looking at and say that you want a full fit before purchase, and ask them what deal they can do ...

Eg.

Assuming you are looking at ~£2000 bikes.

Bikefits are ~£100. As them for a deal

Ask them to do a bike fit on you on your old bike. This will let you know how 'right' you are, and what kind of bike will fit you. Eg. You are quite Low/Long fitted to a Defy -> CAAD a possibility maybe. Defy is a Good Fit -> Synapse a possibility. You need more height(stack) and less reach than your Defy offers -> Domane.

They will be able to set your Defy up - and tell you what your new bike options are.

If they have something ~£2000 you like, they can set that bike up to match your measurements and then you say .... well i would want 10% off for cash so how about 7.5% + make the bike fit free?

A bike fit now is ideal - as it is insurance against making an expensive mistake (either unworkable - or having a badly handling pointy up short stem with tiny reach bars). Also when getting a bike fit, if you are an awkward shape/size - it can often mean.... new stem, new bars, new seatpost ..... so getting all this replaced as stock new by a shop (where they swap it out for free/large discount and they keep the old stuff) trying to make a big ticket sale is the cheapest way to go about it.....

some of the smaller shops ... with staff that have been doing PROPER bike fits for years might be better than a fancy computer fit. but i imagine the computer fits (retul / powerfit) are fine too.

Knightlore - what region are you located?
  • knightlore. you are in a prime position to get a bike fit. it is worthwhile. even micro adjustments make a huge difference.

Giant Store do powerfit, and many stores do otherwise. Research and find one with a great fitting reputation.

Approach a store that has most of the options you are looking at and say that you want a full fit before purchase, and ask them what deal they can do ...

Eg.

Assuming you are looking at ~£2000 bikes.

Bikefits are ~£100. As them for a deal

Ask them to do a bike fit on you on your old bike. This will let you know how 'right' you are, and what kind of bike will fit you. Eg. You are quite Low/Long fitted to a Defy -> CAAD a possibility maybe. Defy is a Good Fit -> Synapse a possibility. You need more height(stack) and less reach than your Defy offers -> Domane.

They will be able to set your Defy up - and tell you what your new bike options are.

If they have something ~£2000 you like, they can set that bike up to match your measurements and then you say .... well i would want 10% off for cash so how about 7.5% + make the bike fit free?

A bike fit now is ideal - as it is insurance against making an expensive mistake (either unworkable - or having a badly handling pointy up short stem with tiny reach bars). Also when getting a bike fit, if you are an awkward shape/size - it can often mean.... new stem, new bars, new seatpost ..... so getting all this replaced as stock new by a shop (where they swap it out for free/large discount and they keep the old stuff) trying to make a big ticket sale is the cheapest way to go about it.....

some of the smaller shops ... with staff that have been doing PROPER bike fits for years might be better than a fancy computer fit. but i imagine the computer fits (retul / powerfit) are fine too.

Knightlore - what region are you located?[/quote

Thanks Gaffer slow - great advice - I am based in Birmingham and work in city centre - I am going to look at the CAAD 12 Ultegra at "on your bike" who are based in the city centre. I understand from their website that they offer a full bike fit service and so will perhaps go down the route you propose in respect of being correclty fitted to my existing bike and then go from there ....
  • thepeginator
    ^ definitely worth getting all your bike fits from the same place i.e. if you're planning to buy a bike from a particular shop, probably worth getting them to fit you're old one first as they will then be able to recommend a model based on the fit and then fitting the new bike to you will be a doddle.
  • gaffer_slow
    On Your Bike looks a great option, as they have CAADs/Supersix, Synapse and Domane.

Sure they are not wonderfully exotic but one of those three will fit you well,
    and be a great value and huge upgrade over your Alloy Defy.

I suspect you will be best on a Synapse or Domane.
    Even someone who is reasonably supple/flexible can struggle with race geometry.

Let us know how it goes ...
  • On Your Bike looks a great option, as they have CAADs/Supersix, Synapse and Domane.

Sure they are not wonderfully exotic but one of those three will fit you well,
    and be a great value and huge upgrade over your Alloy Defy.

I suspect you will be best on a Synapse or Domane.
    Even someone who is reasonably supple/flexible can struggle with race geometry.

Let us know how it goes ...

Ok so went for proper bike fit on Saturday morning - have been correctly fitted to my existing Defy 1 and then fitted to a 52 CAAD 12. Should be picking the new bike up later this week.
    Am now correctly fitted to both bikes and will keep the Defy 1 as my wet weather/winter bike. Thanks for all the advice.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    What did they do to fit you to the two different geometries?
  • gaffer_slow
    Glad to hear you had a good experience.

Will be interested to see pics of the M Defy and the 52 CAAD and how they compare when set up for your fit, and will be interested to hear how differently they ride.

i would love a CAAD 12 Ultegra. They look (and i imagine ride) great.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    What did they do to fit you to the two different geometries?

Lots of measuring and adjusting of saddle/cleats/handlebar position.

Turns out I had a flipped stem on the Defy 1 (pointing downwards) so my position on that bike was more aggressive than it might have been (although I was comfortable with it) - this meant that my switch to the more aggressive geometry of the CAAD was not quite the huge leap that it otherwise would have been. With the CAAD stem swapped out for one slightly longer and having that stem pointing upwards resulted in an almost identical fit.

The true test will be when I have put some decent miles on the CAAD but I was happy enough with the fit of the bike from the outcome of the fitting session.
  • Glad to hear you had a good experience.

Will be interested to see pics of the M Defy and the 52 CAAD and how they compare when set up for your fit, and will be interested to hear how differently they ride.

i would love a CAAD 12 Ultegra. They look (and i imagine ride) great.

Will post some thoughts re the difference in the ride between the 2 bikes once I have done some decent mileage on the CAAD - will also post some pics.
  • Have had CAAD 12 Ultegra for a week now and it is awesome ! So quick to accelerate and soaks up the shocking Birmingham roads - was a bit worried about moving from a 50/34 to a 52/36 but that has not been a problem so far (if anything has made me ride more correctly in the middle of the cassette) - was worried about spending so much on a bike (£900 on a Defy 1 being the previous most I have paid) but so far I feel the bike is well worth the outlay.

I am struggling to post some pics of my post bike fit set up on both Defy 1 (now the wet weather/winter bike) and CAAD 12 as per the earlier discussion re geometry etc....
  • thepeginator
    ^ Do you feel the fit was worth it? In my experience it's well worth the outlay, although I got mine at a reduced rate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a good one though.
  • ^ Do you feel the fit was worth it? In my experience it's well worth the outlay, although I got mine at a reduced rate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a good one though.

Yes the fit was well worth it - got one included as part of the deal re buying the new bike. They fitted me correctly to the Giant and then fitted me to the CAAD (so I am now correctly fitted to my best bike and wet weather/winter bike). Took nearly 2 hours of jumping on and off the bikes on Turbo trainer whilst measurements taken/bikes adjusted etc. I never realised how much precision was involved in a bike fit...! Gave me peace of mind that the outlay on the CAAD was not going to be on the wrong type/size of bike. The proof of that has been in the riding - have done 100 miles on it already and is fantastic ride - accelerates so well on the flat and climbs really well (despite the crankset being 52/36 as oppposed to 50/34.
  • thepeginator
    Sounds like you got a good fit! If you did 100 miles and were comfy and enjoyed it than that's the proof! I've only come to realise reecently just how important it is.
  • Knobrider
    Knobrider Posts: 23
    Hi
    I'm currently riding a defy 1 aluxx 2016 and I hesitated with caad12 which has a completely different geometry. Although I am quite happy and satisfied with the defy, I am now thinking for swaping for a caad12. Main reason why I did not get it in the first place is that my back is a bit stiff. Would you recommend it to me anyway ?
    Rob
  • Knobrider wrote:
    Hi
    I'm currently riding a defy 1 aluxx 2016 and I hesitated with caad12 which has a completely different geometry. Although I am quite happy and satisfied with the defy, I am now thinking for swaping for a caad12. Main reason why I did not get it in the first place is that my back is a bit stiff. Would you recommend it to me anyway ?
    Rob

You would need to try one out - it turned out that my Defy was set at a slightly more aggressive geometry than it might have been because my stem was inverted. That said, I don't feel in an overly aggressive position on the CAAD12 (saddle is quite low and have all spacers in place re stem/headtube) so handlebars are at same (ish) height as my saddle.