Planet X EC 130, anyone got one?

13»

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    There are no options offered for crank etc it comes with 50/34 - 11/32 and 172.5 cranks, not such a great bargain if you want shorter cranks or different cassette IMO, although they may be willing to change things if you ask.The SRAM Force option is on sale at £1499 and has always been at that price with options available when I asked in store a while back.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Random question but are the graphics on them just stuck on or are they lacquered over like other bikes?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Random question but are the graphics on them just stuck on or are they lacquered over like other bikes?
    They are usually lacquered over, well the PX bike I have is. The decals on the matt black Canyon I have are also not just stuck on.
  • mcrine
    mcrine Posts: 22
    I was lucky enough to get this bike at £1300 with Sram force. I actually really liked the bike . However it came with the wrong chainrings and the bottom bracket had a problem. Was messed about trying to get this changed , eventually got the bike back after 3 weeks and the bike was damaged. So sent back again and after waiting 3 weeks to get the bike back I phoned to be told " oh wee didn't know why the bike was in the warehouse we'll order in the parts". To get to this point was over 100 emails back and forth and too many phone calls to count. Each time getting fobbed off and passed from pillar to post . In the end I managed to get a refund . I would say if you live nearby the warehouse get this bike as you can deal face to face as it is good for the money . However planet x are the worst company I have ever had to deal with Out of the 17 weeks I owned the bike planet x had it for 7 of those weeks and counting .
  • So now they are doing this on build it yer sen for £987 with Ultegra, its very tempting!

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBUBRRULT/ ... cial-build)
  • Balb0wa wrote:
    So now they are doing this on build it yer sen for £987 with Ultegra, its very tempting!

Very tempting. Seen a fella go past with one a few times now and it looks stunning in the road. He has one or two other bikes one being a Ceverlo Aero of some sort but he's on the planet X a lot. Or was over summer.

Trouble is the sub £1k deal is not only build yourself wich is fine IMO but it's a lower spec. NOT the bike in the pic with fulcrum sport wheels
  • Yes i noticed the wheels were different, id change them, maybe put zondas on , had them before on my pro carbon.

What bothers me about build it yourself is the headset and fork cutting, the rest i can do.

Maybe local bike shop will do it.
    Balb0wa wrote:
    So now they are doing this on build it yer sen for £987 with Ultegra, its very tempting!

Very tempting. Seen a fella go past with one a few times now and it looks stunning in the road. He has one or two other bikes one being a Ceverlo Aero of some sort but he's on the planet X a lot. Or was over summer.

Trouble is the sub £1k deal is not only build yourself wich is fine IMO but it's a lower spec. NOT the bike in the pic with fulcrum sport wheels
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    It really wouldn't be hard to find a bunch of product recall links and issues for nearly every brand out there but nice collection.

I don't own a PX btw.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Balb0wa wrote:
    Yes i noticed the wheels were different, id change them, maybe put zondas on , had them before on my pro carbon.

What bothers me about build it yourself is the headset and fork cutting, the rest i can do.

Maybe local bike shop will do it.

I wouldn't let that put you off, I tackled both of them, with no prior experience, on two Scott CR1 frames.

Headset was fitted with a £7 headset press from ebay, and I splashed out something like £10 on a fork cutter guide, and £7 on a carbon saw. You have a fair amount of leeway at the top of the fork, so you can make practice cuts, before going for the final cut.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    It really wouldn't be hard to find a bunch of product recall links and issues for nearly every brand out there but nice collection.

I don't own a PX btw.

I've owned two. One Was one of the nicest handling bikes I've owned, and I regretted selling it for a Spesh Tarmac, the other I sold after one ride, it was awful.

For a company the size of Planet X, they have had a LOT of quality control issues. As I said, there are a lot of qualities to purchasing one, but QC leaves a lot to be desired.
  • I've got one. Bought the frame, fork and seat post before Christmas and built it up myself. I've done 500k on it so far and I've no issues. I have to say I really like it. For the price I payed (610 pounds for the frame) I think I got a great deal. I see peoples point in this thread that the resale value will not be as high as branded frames but I love this bike and have no plans on selling it and don't think I ever will.
  • I got one , it's a reet good byke ! By eck , I don't even work at thee Planet X shop