Over reaching pain - how long ?

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
Long short story, but been having 'chronic' neck ache and C5 vertebrae issues on and off since I got back on the bike last year after not riding in 2014. Always been in between sizes and always preferred the bigger bike, usually 'race' geo, which may have caused over reaching issues, given that I am now currently hiring / loaning / demoing a smaller bike which feels shorter and not pulling the neck into the shoulders.

However, a question I ask is how long does the pain take to go away or is the damage done ? The hope is that the shorter reach and relaxed position will help ebb the pain away along with what I am doing off the bike. Has anyone had long term neck or shoulder issues ? If yes, can it be managed away or is it something I have to live with ?

I am now on a Medium TCR and its fine though stiffer than a nuns underpants so thinking about a plush budget bike like a Synapse over the coming weeks / months.

Nice one, thanks for any input.

Pete.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am confused.
    So are you saying (now admitting) that your bike was too big for you?

Why did you prefer it that way once, but not now?
    Most people are 'in between' sizes, and its normally best to go smaller IMO/IME.

Over reaching is the biggest no no in road bikes IMO.
    I would have thought that a non overly aggressive bike that fits you would sort the problem.

Hope you do, and it does :wink:
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Carbonator wrote:
    I am confused.
    So are you saying (now admitting) that your bike was too big for you?

Why did you prefer it that way once, but not now?
    Most people are 'in between' sizes, and its normally best to go smaller IMO/IME.

Over reaching is the biggest no no in road bikes IMO.
    I would have thought that a non overly aggressive bike that fits you would sort the problem.

Hope you do, and it does :wink:

Yes, I think so. I came off BG fitted Tarmac 56cm bikes which worked well, but having been either a 54cm or a 56cm, I plumped for the 56cm at the behest of the fitter. I always tried or try to align my fit to that criteria and have done, but suddenly age and time off the bike have caught up and I feel that rather than throwing money at a race bike, an relaxed geo is the way forward. I am 45 years old next time around and whilst still willing - I have ridden 115 miles this week since Tuesday, the body is starting to feel it so I need to confess to myself and face up to change and fit needs. Being frank, coming off of Dartmoor last year on an otherworldly stiff propel had me in tears last year....