Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

What's with all this " Custom Build " BLX

tim wandtim wand Posts: 2,945
edited April 2016 in The bottom bracket
Come on! If some bloke in a Shed in Stoke/ Bristol or Leeds hasn't hand brazed it to your specific geometry it aint custom built!

Changing your wheels , Groupset or feckin bar tape don't make your bike " Custom Built ! " Its called upgrading or buying new bits! Please Please stop this " Custom Build " BLX.

Now I m off out in my Bespoke trousers , to drink Craft Ale!!!!!!!!!

• pinnopinno Posts: 38,221
    Yeah, geez. Stick a rustic looking label on a bottle of ale and call it 'craft'. I dunno, what's the world coming to?
    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 39,586
    I count my last bike as a custom build, mainly because it was mail order from Germany and I had to screw the fecker together.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinnopinno Posts: 38,221
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I count my last bike as a custom build, mainly because it was mail order from Germany and I had to screw the fecker together.

So that's why it's always going back and forward to the LBS.
    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda

"This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 39,586
    pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

So that's why it's always going back and forward to the LBS.
    It gets used hard. A bit like the sheep :)
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 22,318 Lives Here
    Ooh, does that make my bikes more valuable? Bought the frames off the shelf and built with off the shelf bits. Scratches are definitely custom though.
    Agree, it's a load of horseshit.
  • NapoleonDNapoleonD Posts: 18,632
    Yep. Very irritating. I'm sure there was one here where all they'd done was change the tyres and bar tape.
    Twitter - @NapD
    Strava - Alex Taylor (sportstest.co.uk)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,571
    Perhaps amend the moniker "custom" to a more justifiable and understandable "chosen"?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.