- @ddraver
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    ddraver wrote:
    20 to go, Gilbert dropped....

kwiatkowski too! plan B for SKY
  • inseine
    OGE are very impressive in the classics.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    People seem very excited about this race or is everyone busy discussing Boaty McBoatface's victory in the polls.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Wellens doesn't have enough.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Gasparotto.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    TOLD YA
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Somebody picked Gasparotto no?

Well I really should have listened to myself and gone shopping first but that last 4k were quite entertaining...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,172
    I hope you put some on at 150-1 Rick
  • inseine
    Brilliant. Handed it to the bunch.
  • inseine
    Beautiful, after their recent difficulties.
  • rick_chasey

Nah he was 20-1 for Amstel.

151 - 1 for Liege.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Canny win that by Gasparotto. Great for Wanty too.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,172

Nah he was 20-1 for Amstel.

151 - 1 for Liege.

Better than nowt, that will be a fair bit shorter now
  • rick_chasey
    I'd have a check - as he was going up the Cauberg final time I managed to squeeze in at 151-1
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Decent finish there.

Big ride from Albasini, shame Matthews couldn't use that setup.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    early season classics providing epic entertainment again. just Ardennes week to go and I can get some work done
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Sky Sports on Twitter reporting that Felline fractured his skull.
    Cripes.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    For me, Orica get rides of the day for Alba and Hayman, though Gerrans was a disappointment - a highish finish though never anywhere near the pointy end.

Fingers crossed for Felline, and a nice win for the Wanty team to dedicate to Demoitie.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Sterling work from quite a few, agree that Albasini and Hayman were excellent but Gasparotto takes the cake. he looked calm, composed and the finale was perfect for him. The tinkoff guy with him did too much work....
  • rick_chasey
    It is curious how such hilly difficult races still end up in (reduced) bunch sprints.

You'd think flatter races in Belgium would be less selective but it's the reverse. Certainly completing something like Amstel Gold as an amateur is much more taxing than completing the Flanders route.

You wonder if it's because the finale is such that going from the Cauberg is so effective all other options would require a rider on ridiculous form - and if that rider does have that form why would he risk that when his superior form would take him clear on the Cauberg anyway.

Is the solution a different finale? Keep the relentless frequency of the hills but leave a less selective hill or a flatter run in? Perhaps even after a descent?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    It's the riders that make the race

No disrespect to Gasparotto but the lack of chasing yesterday in the final kilometre was ridiculous. Some riders basically turned around becasue they were so unwilling to put their nose ahead to early. That was compounded by a pretty slow race overall (until Hayman and Albassini woke up), and further by 2 of the favourites (Gilbert & Kwiatowski) dropping out.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Won 150 quid off the tip on here yesterday. Cheers lads!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • rick_chasey
    Welcome
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    I think the problem with the Parcours right now is that the two toughest hills (Keutenberg & Eyserbosweg) are too far out too have an impact. Put one of these in the last 10-15k loop and you'd have a chance for breaks to go away and have enough at the bottom of the Cauberg to stay away.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    ddraver wrote:
    It's the riders that make the race

No disrespect to Gasparotto but the lack of chasing yesterday in the final kilometre was ridiculous. Some riders basically turned around becasue they were so unwilling to put their nose ahead to early. That was compounded by a pretty slow race overall (until Hayman and Albassini woke up), and further by 2 of the favourites (Gilbert & Kwiatowski) dropping out.

that's what got me. Colbrelli who's good but not that good took the sprint. that to me says a fair bit about the finale. its too predictable, all you have to do is sit in and jump at the crest of the hill, and keep working with your accomplices. if you have the TT engine and a tailwind the chase group may as well give up. this is kind of what happened, the front 2 shared the work, and the rest didn't want to pull Matthews/ Gerrans to the line.

interesting ahead of Fleche to see who is going to be on peak form. perhaps one of the new guard, or is it J-rod again?
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    It is curious how such hilly difficult races still end up in (reduced) bunch sprints.

You'd think flatter races in Belgium would be less selective but it's the reverse. Certainly completing something like Amstel Gold as an amateur is much more taxing than completing the Flanders route.

You wonder if it's because the finale is such that going from the Cauberg is so effective all other options would require a rider on ridiculous form - and if that rider does have that form why would he risk that when his superior form would take him clear on the Cauberg anyway.

Is the solution a different finale? Keep the relentless frequency of the hills but leave a less selective hill or a flatter run in? Perhaps even after a descent?

But now in so many races there are less long ranged attacks. The first 200km are nearly at tempo and then all kicks off in the last 2 hours. They are shorter climbs so a lot more people can get up them I think. Weight is becoming less important as you can power up them if you are fresh after the 'easier' first part of the race.

I thought all the big team's cocked it up yesterday. Lotto NL had so many numbers, they could have made it harder sooner for example.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Alreet Markwb79 :)

After the long range escape in Roubaix last week the race was always going to be tempo and controlled with a bigger group contesting the finish.

Would be nice to have some days like this back more often... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ6-ybCTJ4M
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    how about finishing down the cauberg with a finish 100yards from the sharp right turn at the bottom :)