shoe insoles - help!

janesy
janesy Posts: 148
Please bear with me, terminology may not be correct.
I have problems with my left foot and minor niggles with my right.

My left knee dives inwards and I believe this stems from my feet. Arch collapsing? all the pressure is on the sesamoid bones (inside 1st metatarsal)image2_363x615.jpg This makes it hard to cycle for more than an hour.

My history of foot correction.

2014 - 2015 - Specialized blue insoles with 1 varus wedge under the cleat. (as done many bike fitters) - painful numb feet. Tried Green but felt like I was standing on a rock.

2015 - G8 Performance's Pro Series 2620 Insoles - the arch is spongy and compresses. pointless arch support?

2016 Bont Vapour S, Shoes fit- healwedge on both feet and SoleStar Kontrol insoles with 2x varus cleat wedge. problem 90% resolved. these were a gamble at £90 but am pretty happy with them. just feel there is more comfort to be had...

Easy tempo rides are perfect but as soon as I race. Time trialing for an hour at 335 watts it gets pretty painful by the end.
10mile pace makes me want to chop my feet off. 350+ ouch.
So, I guess I need more arch support to stop my feet rolling inwards as I feel there is isnt any support at the front of the arch.

I THINK need more arch support? Which insoles are favored?

Any ideas on Icebug slim insoles?
I've stumbled on http://biketestreviews.com/the-best-cyc ... e-part-ii/

edit - for my work shoes and trainers I have Sof sole medium arch, these are comfy when walking, however I dont get on with them cycling, this may be because they don't have a metatarsal pad.

PLEASE HELP! :-)
Ritchey Road Logic - Focus Izalco Chrono Max 1.0 TT

Comments

• hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Best insoles are custom made by a competent podiatrist following a full assessment of the problem. That what I've got. Along with strengthening and other exercises my feet are pain free and can get away with cheap off-the-peg ones. The cost of pain free cycling and running was not cheap (insoles plus 3 consultations) but less than what I paid for my Adamo Prologue saddle on my TT bike (it keeps another contact point comfy when aero)
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Hdow wrote:
    Best insoles are custom made by a competent podiatrist following a full assessment of the problem. That what I've got. Along with strengthening and other exercises my feet are pain free and can get away with cheap off-the-peg ones. The cost of pain free cycling and running was not cheap (insoles plus 3 consultations) but less than what I paid for my Adamo Prologue saddle on my TT bike (it keeps another contact point comfy when aero)

+1
    You may be able to get orthotics on the NHS.

Don't underestimate calf stretches and stretching in general.
  • janesy
    Thanks, i thought it would be custom. Any ideas of where to go? I'm in the Bath area.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I had also sorts of issues with my feet and went to see CycleFit in London (though there is also one in Manchester). They've expensive but have been absolutely great, one of the best purchases I've ever made for the bike. I've been injury free for ~3 years since I got them. The fitter said they were some of highest arched insoles he had seen/made so possibly understandable why off the shelf products never cut it for me.
  • janesy
    God old post.

I've been using Solestar insoles with no foot correction for the past year. solved all issues with feet and knees.
    Never felt better .

http://www.solestar.de/en/
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    kingrollo wrote:
    You can. I've just been for a moulding of my feet this morning. Now waiting for them to be made and a fitting appointment.
    The whole process, GP, physio, consultants, has taken about 5 months though.
  • kingrollo
    I wear orthotics in my shoes all time.for cycling I get by with a pair of custom footbeds made by adrian timmis - I got mine as part of a bike fit - but I think he does them standalone for around £80.
    Might be worth a shot.
  • kingrollo
    oxoman wrote:
    Plus one for Ade Timmins, sadly he,s shutting up shop and I believe concentrating on bikefit only. Led to believe he will be working from his home or going mobile. He's having a closing down sale this wkend.

Thats a blow - but I think his bikefitting service will do very well
  • alh14
    alh14 Posts: 62
    Slightly off topic but did you buy your Bont's locally, as looking for a local Bont dealer (Bristol) to try some on.
  • OfficerDigby
    OfficerDigby Posts: 110
    Andy9964 wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    You can. I've just been for a moulding of my feet this morning. Now waiting for them to be made and a fitting appointment.

I'm not sure the NHS fitted orthotics are necessarily suited to cycling, every standing activity yes. Cycling I'm not sure never felt great with them. PTTD issue still seems to come and go.

However, obviously if its just an arch collapsing issue a moulded arch arch support should do that job. In order to get a NHS fitting you obviously have to blag the issue being a detriment to more standard activity e.g. walking etc, or successfully argue the interference to your sporty lifestyle is having a major impact - health problems down to the line etc YMMV!
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    I have Orthaheel in all footwear an these in bike shoes http://www.sportsdirect.com/scholl-orth ... gIjuPD_BwE Not sure how custom insoles can be made to fit a foot that is the wrong shape, and mirror image one for the other foot may not help, as that may be bent as well. NHS insoles I was initially given were 100% silicone, and were rubbish, went in the bin and have used Orthaheel ever since.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Andy9964 wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

I'm not sure the NHS fitted orthotics are necessarily suited to cycling, every standing activity yes. Cycling I'm not sure never felt great with them. PTTD issue still seems to come and go.

However, obviously if its just an arch collapsing issue a moulded arch arch support should do that job. In order to get a NHS fitting you obviously have to blag the issue being a detriment to more standard activity e.g. walking etc, or successfully argue the interference to your sporty lifestyle is having a major impact - health problems down to the line etc YMMV!

You may be correct. My knee problems have been diagnosed as coming from fallen arches.
    My knee pain is at it's worst going down stairs, or getting into a kneeling position. Pretty much a controlled descent situation.
    Cycling doesn't seem to bother me much at all unless I do more miles than usual
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    alh14 wrote:
    Slightly off topic but did you buy your Bont's locally, as looking for a local Bont dealer (Bristol) to try some on.

Saddleback in Yate (N Bristol) used to be the UK importer for Bont, but since they switched to Sidi they wanted an exclusive deal, ZyroFisher are now the importer.

I don't think you'll find many shops that stock Bont.

The online size guide is pretty good, go with an online retailer and order 2 sizes and return the size that doesn't fit?
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • If you for custom insoels make sure its through the NHS as there are lots of fake podiatrists out there that will fit you with cusomt insoels that just support your foot in the position that caused your problems. I actually prefer off the shelf insoles.. they are cheaper and you need to keep on swapping them anyway otherwise they get worn out after awhile and the support is lost. I uses these ones and they are the best http://shoewawa.com/product/footreviver-arch-support-insoles/