Joining the Van Looy, Merckx and De Vlaeminck club

13»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,121

RichN95. said:

Lombardia and LBL often change their routes and finishes, so who knows what the future holds. Van der Poel has shown he can finish top ten in both it's possible. I think he may need Pogacar and Evenepoel to be absent though.

His Lombardi top 10 shouldn’t really count as it was the rona one and he was miles off the pace.
    I'd go as far to say that 2020 was by far his best chance to win Lombardy, given the quality of the field.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,765
    Tbh I think the limiting factor for Pog is that he can fry bigger fish than PR.

Can’t really see him wanting to give up all those hilly classics AND stage races for a race that’s a mechanical lottery half the time anyway.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,886
    edited April 2023

Can’t really see him wanting to give up all those hilly classics AND stage races for a race that’s a mechanical lottery half the time anyway.

He is going for the set imo
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158

It may be target for later in his career if he gets bored of winning other races.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

It may be target for later in his career if he gets bored of winning other races.
    Needs to win the tour more often to do that.

Which has his two weaknesses - altitude and heat
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,663
    I think MSR is the hardest to target for Pogacar. Hasn't been a repeat winner for a while, which shows it can be a bit more random.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,121
    I think he's won the monuments he's going to win. He might add more editions, especially of Liege and Lombardy, but I can't see him ever winning Roubaix or Sanremo.

The former is a race that doesn't suit his physiology and the latter isn't hard enough for him to get rid of everyone else, which is arguably the only way he can win it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,944
    You'd think Pog would prioritise a Giro over PR? No?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Yup
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,663
    andyp said:

I think he's won the monuments he's going to win. He might add more editions, especially of Liege and Lombardy, but I can't see him ever winning Roubaix or Sanremo.

The former is a race that doesn't suit his physiology and the latter isn't hard enough for him to get rid of everyone else, which is arguably the only way he can win it.

Did you think that Gilbert would win P-R? I certainly didn't and posted as much on this thread.

I don't see any downsides (other than crashing) if Pogacar tries it. History shows riding the Giro (Contador and Froome) is not great for winning the tour.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338

andyp said:

Did you think that Gilbert would win P-R? I certainly didn't and posted as much on this thread.

I don't see any downsides (other than crashing) if Pogacar tries it. History shows riding the Giro (Contador and Froome) is not great for winning the tour.
    I was absolutely certain Gilbert would never win Roubaix.
    I think Sanremo is well within possibility for Pog, though tactically difficult. He'd need a bit of luck, but if he can get over the top of the Poggio alone then it's game on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey

andyp said:

I think Sanremo is well within possibility for Pog, though tactically difficult. He'd need a bit of luck, but if he can get over the top of the Poggio alone then it's game on.
    MMm I think it's team effort to make it as hard as possible up the Turchino and then up all the CAppos and the Cipressa.

If anyone has it in them to make a move stick from the Cipressa it's Pog.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,908

andyp said:

I'm not sure history is much use with the way the current crop are riding. You'd think though that Pogacar will want to win the Giro/Tour double at some point, precisely because it's so rare. Maybe he's waiting for there to be a favourable Worlds course and go for the Triple Crown.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338

andyp said:

MMm I think it's team effort to make it as hard as possible up the Turchino and then up all the CAppos and the Cipressa.

If anyone has it in them to make a move stick from the Cipressa it's Pog.
    Or MvdP.

Honestly, I don't think anyone will make anything stick from there, much as we might dream
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format