Training Analysis

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
I am wanting to take my training a bit more seriously this year,and log and analysize it. What is everyone using? I have signed up to Training Peeks but to get access to most detail you need to upgrade. Is it worth it unles you are racing.( which I don't). I have a garmin but their Connect site seems pretty crap. Any recomendations appreciatred

Comments

• twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I use Sporttracks http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks

With a few plugins it can do pretty much anything Training Peaks can.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Brian1 wrote:
    I am wanting to take my training a bit more seriously this year,and log and analysize it. What is everyone using? I have signed up to Training Peeks but to get access to most detail you need to upgrade. Is it worth it unles you are racing.( which I don't). I have a garmin but their Connect site seems pretty crap. Any recomendations appreciatred

You say you are not racing - so what is the purpose of your training?
  • Brian1
    Brian1 Posts: 595
    Hi two thanks for the link.I will look at that. Imposter I am wanting to drop spme weight and increase distance/endurance and I suppose I thought that being able to look at the numbers might help motivate me.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    What kind of data do you want to analyse? Sport Tracks is a nice logbook but I prefer WKO (£££) and Golden Cheetah (free) for analysis -- but only worthwhile if you have a powermeter.

Strava Premium is actually not too bad depending what you want to do with your data. If you do all your riding on the road and you do the same routes/loops repeatedly then you can get quite a bit out of a Premium membership. Cheap to try too, only a handful of quid a month.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'd just use Strava or Garmin Connect for now. With Garmin connect you can actually enter your weight and get a graph etc. Be aware that if you are a member of british cycling you can get a nice discount on Training Peaks. Also, you can get a free trial of Training Peaks, I think it's 7 days, you could use it and see how you get on.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd go for trainerroad. Its all on a turbo so that's a bit mehhh - but it is the most time efficient way of doing things.

You repeat sessions and you can see week on week the improvements in fitness.

It's a bit harder to monitor on road and therefore a bit harder to keep motivated. Wind and traffic etc get in the way.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    For what you want I'd just use the free trainingpeaks.
    One thing you could do is use the 7 day free premium then populate your calendar with one of the free training plans based on your ATP. (That will be explained when you do it)
    It all remains when the premium lapses.
    It links in well with MyFitnessPal app for monitoring nutrition and weight although I think that may be premium only.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Training Peaks Premium is awesome. Whether it's worth the (not-insignificant) cash outlay is only a decision that you can make.

If you're curious you can sign up for a month and see what you think; if you do, make a point of learning about as many of the features as you can because it can take a while. If you're embarking on a structured training plan then it's a very good platform.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    If you're willing to learn it, Golden Cheetah is by far the best analysis/training logger out there. It's also free.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3