Training doldrums, sickness or psychosis?

Kryton57
Kryton57 Posts: 95
Whilst floundering of the back of a mediocre paced club rub yesterday, I had a bit of a chat with a fellow member who is inside the medical profession.

For background, I've been riding mtb socially for 20 years, picked up road biking 4 years ago for additional fitness in MTB racing - still the social kind - started serious short course & 24hr MTB racing for real in eastern & London series, and in the last 3 years have used periodised Friel principal/Trainer road plans. I have a busy IT sales Job and 2 kids - I'm 44.

Now, last year went well, top third finisher in MTB regional A's, top 10 in Regional C's. However though I can have good performances where I feel strong and finish about where I expect but then rock up to a easy 28kmph average club ride and can't keep up. Not always but sometimes. I?'m not doing many miles a week - 2x turbo sessions and 100k club road or an MTB race at the weekend.

Why do I have these embarrassing periods of non-performance?

My Dr friend thinks I'm a serial overtrainer with little thought of resting as I worry on such limited hours (6-7) a week I won't retain / build fitness. My view is that I don't see I'm riding enough to have abused my body, plus everyone in the club Peleton in front of me is in a similar boat or rides more than I do (commute for examples or is able to ride more).

I'd welcome some views & opinions.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Kryton57 wrote:

Why do I have these embarrassing periods of non-performance?

Because you think it's clever to belittle mental health issues.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    ^^
    no idea what he's on about. I'm assuming the title. Which you wrote as meaning "is it in my head". Yeah maybe.

But your 6-7 hrs a week, do you ever mix up what you do? A plateau is as good as going backwards, and if you are doing the same training week after week, and your body is nice and used to it now, you're not really challenging it. To get more fitness you need to challenge your body and keep challenging it with new stuff. So do some new stuff on the turbo, find some weeks where you can do more riding, mix it up, etc.
  • Kryton57
    What I meant was "a constant desire to perform well with a refusal to believe anything other than continual training will take me forward", eg training junkie, gym bunny etc.

Something different could be worth a try - but the TR plans are different to each other, so you mean completely different to interval training - perhaps circuits up the nearest decent hill, varied lunch time rides to replace the turbo?
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    More volume when you can would be my prescription at the moment -- can you add in extra time to your commute, can you get a couple of hours early morning on the weekend along with your longer ride? Or something outside at lunch. Possibly difficult with a demanding job and family, but a training camp for a few days or even a "home training camp" will do wonders for a plateau, just 4-5 days of 4-5hrs a day riding is enough.

Failing that, if you can only manage the turbo on weekdays, can you add some more time to your sessions?
  • Do you take some time off each year between seasons i.e. a transition period of a couple of weeks to a month? Could be you're just worn out mentally and physically. That said, your weekly training schedule sounds pretty light. Could be the quality of your training is crap and you're doing junk miles. For me the Sunday group ride is essentially an extended recovery ride / burn off some calories ride. My real training takes place on the Tuesday to Saturday prior and I follow the Trainerroad high volume plans.

Are your turbo / trainer rides done with power?
  • webboo
    And what I meant would you post. Training doldrums, sickness and cancer. If not why use such emotional health related terminology.
  • Kryton57
    Webboo - I apologise if I've caused you offense, but in reference to my title here's a summary from Wikipedia which explains the intent of how I used it "Psychosis refers to an abnormal condition of the mind described as involving a " loss of contact with reality".

It wasn't intended to be offensive or meant in any other way.

Nigel - thanks. Yes, I use power meters and fwiw the TR low volume plans with extra rides during summer time periods. I also have August as my rest month as this is when the family holiday also occurs, so there's not a lot of riding done then. As it turns out I woke up yesterday with a sore throat and today the same and a bit washed out so that explains Saturday's issue. Guess I won't be riding the sportive today!
  • Webboo wrote:
    And what I meant would you post. Training doldrums, sickness and cancer. If not why use such emotional health related terminology.

As someone who suffers from a chronic illness and has been treated for clinical depression as a result of this, you really need to realise when a figure of speech is being used and not an insult.

Or, if you prefer, dry your eyes and man up.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • webboo
    :roll:
  • Webboo wrote:
    :roll:

As a sufferer of Blepharospasm I find your post extremely offensive. I've been trolling the internet all day trying to find something to offend me and your post really hits the spot.
    Thanks Webboo. Much obliged :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul