The roads

2»

Comments

• gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Pinno wrote:
    Sorry Gimp, have to contradict you.

I used Michelin's for years. I used to buy Pro 3's but they are soft and wear quickly although they are good in all conditions. People think that slicks are less grippy in the wet but they are not. I swapped to Conti GP4000's (25mm) which roll great but I quickly had sidewall problems. The roads around here are 3rd world (SW Scotland).
    Last autumn, I bought a pair of Vittoria Open Pave CG's - 27mm's (still available from Evans and Wiggle despite the fact that apparently, they are being phased out @ approx £26). I have had no punctures, no grip problems and they roll really well to the extent that you could race on them.
    They are paired up with the 28mm Vittoria latex inner tubes. I have only used latex inner tubes since the Etap Cal carpet tack year. Only because after puncture No 3, I managed to flag a sympathetic passer by who very kindly gave me an inner tube which was latex and it felt different immediately. I doubt if I had hit another carpet tack, it would have survived btw.

You're not contradicting me. If you read my first post you'll see that I suggest you ride whatever is good for roads and conditions in your area. For you that's Vittoria's and for me it's Conti's. Everyone's happy :D

What I definitely don't subscribe to is the 'Vittoria every time for all bikes/conditions,full stop!' statement. Substitute Conti/Michelin/Schwalbe for Vittoria, it's still meaningless in the real world.