The roads

gedme
gedme Posts: 68
edited April 2016 in Road beginners

What's everybody's choice of tyres? Looking to buy just wanted to know what everyone using or they think are good.                

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You're going to buy what everyone is using ? That's a lot of tyres.
  • gedme
    Fenix wrote:
    You're going to buy what everyone is using ? That's a lot of tyres.
    No just wondering what's best.... I'm quite new to road cycling so just thought would ask. But thanks for your very funny answer.
  • fenix
    Conti GP4000s for performance. 25mm if you can.

If you're looking for bombproof then something like Schwalbe Marathons - but they are heavy.

(maybe have tyres in your title if that's the question you're asking ?)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Fenix wrote:

If you're looking for bombproof then something like Schwalbe Marathons - but they are heavy.

Marathons are very heavy for a road bike. If you want decent puncture protection, but not too heavy, I'd go for Continental Gatorskins.
  • gedme
    Fenix wrote:

Thank you was looking at conti 4000s today. Yeah will remember next time.
  • gedme
    Fenix wrote:

Marathons are very heavy for a road bike. If you want decent puncture protection, but not too heavy, I'd go for Continental Gatorskins.
    Yeah looks like conti 4000s again thanks for all your help.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i'd say for all round performance grip and puncture resistance go for vittoria rubino pro far more comfortable and grippy than any conti tyre and can usually be had for £10-15 on amazon, merlincycles etc
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gedme
    itboffin wrote:
    i'd say for all round performance grip and puncture resistance go for vittoria rubino pro far more comfortable and grippy than any conti tyre and can usually be had for £10-15 on amazon, merlincycles etc
    Hi thanks I will have a look and let you know.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    itboffin wrote:

I'll second these - just bought another pair after the last ones gave such good service.
  • gedme
    SME wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'll second these - just bought another pair after the last ones gave such good service.
    Thanks that's great to know.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    I'll third them - fantastic tyres, especially for the money. Great ride, great puncture resistance, decent wear rate and roll well. They are my commuting tyre of choice.
    Only weak spot is wet weather grip which is poor but a lot better than Gatorskins.
  • gedme
    super_davo wrote:
    I'll third them - fantastic tyres, especially for the money. Great ride, great puncture resistance, decent wear rate and roll well. They are my commuting tyre of choice.
    Only weak spot is wet weather grip which is poor but a lot better than Gatorskins.
    Yeah looked at them will give them a go... summer now so won't be much rain lol aye right. Thanks again.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    gedme wrote:
    super_davo wrote:
    Yeah looked at them will give them a go... summer now so won't be much rain lol aye right. Thanks again.

Happy with Rubino Pro's too. Fairly quick, good all rounder. Great value.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    super_davo wrote:

I've mentioned in a previous post that I think tyre choice is dependant on what works in your area.

Personally I wouldn't go near another Vittoria tyre as where I live they just shred and puncture far too quickly. Conti's however are brilliant.

OP - Where do you live ? What do people who ride in your area swear by? Buy those.
  • gedme
    Gimpl wrote:
    super_davo wrote:

I've mentioned in a previous post that I think tyre choice is dependant on what works in your area.

Personally I wouldn't go near another Vittoria tyre as where I live they just shred and puncture far too quickly. Conti's however are brilliant.

OP - Where do you live ? What do people who ride in your area swear by? Buy those.
    Live in Dundee must admit to having few punctures of late. And not sure depending on where people live unless roads are repaired quicker in other parts of the UK! But yeah thinking on it want strong set as it's the roads that have caused my punctures... looking at conti now. Thank you.
  • Alex99
    gedme wrote:
    Gimpl wrote:
    super_davo wrote:

Live in Dundee must admit to having few punctures of late. And not sure depending on where people live unless roads are repaired quicker in other parts of the UK! But yeah thinking on it want strong set as it's the roads that have caused my punctures... looking at conti now. Thank you.

Bear in mind that when some people say a tyre is puncture ressistant, often that is relative, for a race tyre. The GP4000s is primarily a race tyre. It also depends on what sort of punctures you are getting. Damaged roads, maybe pinches so a wider tyre is more important special 'bands' in the casing.
  • fenix
    I'm sticking up for the GP4000s here - I use them all the time on the summer bike and they've been brilliant. Pretty much all my pals use them too and we definitely get a lot less flats than we used to.

I remember one ride with 5 flats between three of us. Now it would be extremely rare to get even one.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    25mm Schwalbe One's on MY commuter/training bike. Cheap, and better grip and durability over Conti GP4000.
    25mm Veloflex Corsa with latex tubes on best bike. Much nicer ride compared to Schwalbe/Conti, but not as durable.
  • ManiaMuse
    ManiaMuse Posts: 89
    Depends what you want from your tyres. There is always a compromise between grip, rolling resistance, ride quality, durability/puncture protection, wet weather performance, weight and price with tyres. There is no such thing as a perfect tyre which does all of those things well.

Have Gatorskins on my commuting bikes. They last forever and never puncture. However the ride isn't great and they have terrible grip when the roads are wet.

Only other tyres I have used were Vittoria Saffiros which were lighter and grippier but fell to pieces in no time at all and punctured all the time. On the balance of things I would rather tyres which never punctured when mostly using my bike for commuting, but if you are racing or looking for performance then you might have other priorities.
  • Alex99
    ManiaMuse wrote:
    Depends what you want from your tyres. There is always a compromise between grip, rolling resistance, ride quality, durability/puncture protection, wet weather performance, weight and price with tyres. There is no such thing as a perfect tyre which does all of those things well.

Have Gatorskins on my commuting bikes. They last forever and never puncture. However the ride isn't great and they have terrible grip when the roads are wet.

Only other tyres I have used were Vittoria Saffiros which were lighter and grippier but fell to pieces in no time at all and punctured all the time. On the balance of things I would rather tyres which never punctured when mostly using my bike for commuting, but if you are racing or looking for performance then you might have other priorities.

Never puncture + wet weather grip + durabilty = Durano plus (if you don't mind the weight and less than sprightly ride)
  • gedme
    Alex99 wrote:
    gedme wrote:
    Gimpl wrote:
    super_davo wrote:

Bear in mind that when some people say a tyre is puncture ressistant, often that is relative, for a race tyre. The GP4000s is primarily a race tyre. It also depends on what sort of punctures you are getting. Damaged roads, maybe pinches so a wider tyre is more important special 'bands' in the casing.
    Been road punctures used to cycle to Arbroath and back 26 miles if only had couple of hours but after this winter rain its Bern awful 4 punctures so decided not to cycle there anymore. Was on 50miles last Friday and was great roads were ok and probably paid bit more attention as well. Will look at GP4000s am doing couple of events so want good tyres. Thank you.
  • gedme
    Fenix wrote:
    I'm sticking up for the GP4000s here - I use them all the time on the summer bike and they've been brilliant. Pretty much all my pals use them too and we definitely get a lot less flats than we used to.

I remember one ride with 5 flats between three of us. Now it would be extremely rare to get even one.
    Thanks that's a big help think I know what to go for.
  • gedme
    Ste_S wrote:
    25mm Schwalbe One's on MY commuter/training bike. Cheap, and better grip and durability over Conti GP4000.
    25mm Veloflex Corsa with latex tubes on best bike. Much nicer ride compared to Schwalbe/Conti, but not as durable.
    Cheers for comment never thought be hard decision to make.
  • gedme
    ManiaMuse wrote:

Yeah if only there was such a tyre. I use bike for most but have started doing events like etapecaladonia and pedal for Scotland big belter not in a race with anyone apart from myself just try to better time every time I'm out. Thanks for help though and it has been a big help.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    I throw in Continental Grand Prix GT Road Bike Tyres. Same Black Chilli compound as 4000s II's but with more rubber on sidewalls for better puncture protection.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• gedme
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    I throw in Continental Grand Prix GT Road Bike Tyres. Same Black Chilli compound as 4000s II's but with more rubber on sidewalls for better puncture protection.
    Thanks lot of choice.
  • Vittoria every time for all bikes/conditions,full stop! Have a look at the link;
    http://www.vittoria.com/tires/road-tire/
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Vittoria every time for all bikes/conditions,full stop! Have a look at the link;
    http://www.vittoria.com/tires/road-tire/

Did you read my post! Never again on my bike.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Sorry Gimp, have to contradict you.

I used Michelin's for years. I used to buy Pro 3's but they are soft and wear quickly although they are good in all conditions. People think that slicks are less grippy in the wet but they are not. I swapped to Conti GP4000's (25mm) which roll great but I quickly had sidewall problems. The roads around here are 3rd world (SW Scotland).
    Last autumn, I bought a pair of Vittoria Open Pave CG's - 27mm's (still available from Evans and Wiggle despite the fact that apparently, they are being phased out @ approx £26). I have had no punctures, no grip problems and they roll really well to the extent that you could race on them.
    They are paired up with the 28mm Vittoria latex inner tubes. I have only used latex inner tubes since the Etap Cal carpet tack year. Only because after puncture No 3, I managed to flag a sympathetic passer by who very kindly gave me an inner tube which was latex and it felt different immediately. I doubt if I had hit another carpet tack, it would have survived btw.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • gedme
    Pinno wrote:
    Sorry Gimp, have to contradict you.

I used Michelin's for years. I used to buy Pro 3's but they are soft and wear quickly although they are good in all conditions. People think that slicks are less grippy in the wet but they are not. I swapped to Conti GP4000's (25mm) which roll great but I quickly had sidewall problems. The roads around here are 3rd world (SW Scotland).
    Last autumn, I bought a pair of Vittoria Open Pave CG's - 27mm's (still available from Evans and Wiggle despite the fact that apparently, they are being phased out @ approx £26). I have had no punctures, no grip problems and they roll really well to the extent that you could race on them.
    They are paired up with the 28mm Vittoria latex inner tubes. I have only used latex inner tubes since the Etap Cal carpet tack year. Only because after puncture No 3, I managed to flag a sympathetic passer by who very kindly gave me an inner tube which was latex and it felt different immediately. I doubt if I had hit another carpet tack, it would have survived btw.
    Well that's such good reply. Am doing etapecaladonia this may am not racing or completing with anyone apart from myself...... your reply has been most helpful thank you.... Yeah agree roads are shocking.