Training Plan 3mths in.

Sonny_H
Sonny_H Posts: 3
First off, hello all.

Just wondered if I could get some collective advise re; training.

3 months ago I discovered road cycling and since then I’ve bought and sold 2 bikes and just completed 100 miles. I’ve well and truly got the bug.

I have no desire at the moment to compete but just want to become the best cyclist I can be. Could someone suggest a good weekly training plan to help me achieve this. I’ve read a fair amount about training in various heart rate zones or to power which I understand but wonder if this is my next step, or am I jumping the gun? Certainly in terms of money I’d rather put that toward bike no 4 than the necessary equipment.

I can train 1-2hrs per day with one 4-5hr ride on weekends.

Thanks in advance Sonny.

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Sonny, welcome to the forum.

I would not suggest following a training plan unless you need to focus your efforts towards a particular event. As you are new to cycling I would just get out on the bike as often as you can, enjoy the whole "getting better" experience to begin with. Mix up your rides, some flat, some hilly, some hard some not so hard etc. You'll then discover where you need to improve and can then focus on that. Leave the structured stuff for later!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Welcome to the site and my first response to your question would be, relax and enjoy the aspect of finding your feet and becoming more informed.

There's no great rush to start a training plan, unless you want to and there's nothing wrong with that, however you need to keep the fun aspect high on your agenda and simply by riding for pleasure will increase your fitness.

There are various routes for beginners, googling your local clubs and tagging along for a ride or two with each of them will provide a taste and flavour of what each club is about. Different clubs have differing orientations, social riding through to race heads or a blend. They'll also bring you along much more quickly in terms of knowledge and accessing the best local routes.

Alternatively/ Additionally you can try the British Cycling website for training plans and advice on every aspect of cycling.

While a bike is important you need to place a certain emphasis on your kit, good quality kit is not necessarily expensive but it does require some research and a great relationship can be built with your local bike shop in this regard.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Sonny_H
    Sonny_H Posts: 3
    Thanks for your responses. I'm kinda torn between the 2 schools of thought - enjoying the riding and wanting to get better as fast as possible. One of the most enjoyable things over the last few months is how quickly my body has adapted and I guess I'm keen to make my riding count.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    For the first year you just want to get on the bike as often as possible. Until your body adapts an intense training plan is likely to result in injury.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    frisbee wrote:
    For the first year you just want to get on the bike as often as possible. Until your body adapts an intense training plan is likely to result in injury.

100%, this is important! During your first year of cycling the very best training you can do is simply riding your bike. You can easily go from couch potato to doing 100 mile rides just by simply getting out and riding your bike on a regular basis.

If next year you want to start to get into the likes of racing and you've got the base miles under your belt, then is the time to consider serious training plans.