the thing’s hollow -- it goes on forever -- and -- oh my god -- it’s full of wednesday!

2»

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Well you would buy Shimano :roll:
    Oh yes, Mr Campagnolo snob. Did you have a pop at MF a little while ago for abbreviating it to Campy? Probably preferring Campag. It would seem Campy is what they recognise as an abbreviation.

Yeah, what he said. Big up Veronese. Word to the Italian massif.

Absolutely spiffing day so far but tonight at work involves writing a 5 page risk assessment on a forthcoming exercise:

Risk: trip hazards
    How to resolve risk: tell them not to trip over

Risk: people getting shot
    How to resolve risk: tell them not to shoot each other

You get the gist

Re the fast/feast debate: natural weight of 71 kg at 6'1, currently 79 kg due to weights but the second I stop weights within 4 days of eating normally I'll be back at 72 with no effort involved.

Cut out the pies, chips, week day beers and pork scratching sand the weight will come off. Life will be incredibly boring, but you'll be skinny.....

Ciao

Right, I'm off to drink some coffee.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Is this an actual war or an exercise? If it's an exercise can't you just tell them not to use live rounds or use spud guns or something? I do believe actual wars are dangerous and there's not a tremendous amount that can be done about it. Not just in the "motorsport can be dangerous" sense.
  • Matthewfalle
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Is this an actual war or an exercise? If it's an exercise can't you just tell them not to use live rounds or use spud guns or something? I do believe actual wars are dangerous and there's not a tremendous amount that can be done about it. Not just in the "motorsport can be dangerous" sense.

Trust me, this lot could injure each each using splurge guns. I once had an officer break an ankle falling down a gopher hole chasing a gopher.

Live firing job unfortunately. I am tempted to take a tank to hide in.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Trust me, this lot could injure each each using splurge guns. I once had an officer break an ankle falling down a gopher hole chasing a gopher.

Live firing job unfortunately. I am tempted to take a tank to hide in.
    I think that sounds sensible. Vaguely recall a story about a large combined exercise with the Yanks that was cancelled at the last minute as they flew a couple of helicopters into each other. :roll:
  • Matthewfalle
    I had to get another dude casevac'd out because he cut the top of all his fingers off cutting some duck tape off that held his spare boots together as a pair.

And they give these people the vote, pens and the opportunity to breed................

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    you gave them a knife... next time let him bleed out
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Taken from this mornings ride... https://www.strava.com/activities/524420994

Speed 24.7km/h 63.0km/h
    Heart Rate 154bpm 176bpm
    Cadence 81 217
    Calories 929
    Temperature 3℃
    Elapsed Time 1:26:35

I've tested my max HR to 191bpm, so Z3 (endurance) is, according to BR between 143 and 156bpm, my average was 154 so towards the top end but there or therabouts.

So far today I have eaten the following:-

A bowl of bran flakes (post ride)
    A bowl of salad from Asda which also contained a slice of ham and an egg along with 200g's of cooked chicken again from asda, washed down with water and a snack pot of grapes.
    Dinner will be a grilled chicken, about 60g (uncooked) of wholemeal rice and steamed brocolie.

Tea consumption so far has hit 5 cups as I've been out on the road (see asda salad).

Apologies if this is all too serious for this forum. [f*ck them - tell them to sod orf to mumsnet.]

TLDR:- HD wears XL.

Long and boring PM sent.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Flâneur
    so what is the best way to crash your HR back down between intervals?
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    Flâneur wrote:

In short, by being super fit. However:

Try and practice this: sit comfortably in an upright position. Try and slow your breathing rate down to 3 breaths per minute.
    Initially, try 15 per minute and then work towards 14, 13, 12 etc. The heart rate will come down with it. It will teach you to breath very deeply thereby utilising as much of the lung as possible. It's amazing how much clarity you can achieve when doing this (after the dizzy stage). You can do it whilst driving or at the office. Initially, forget about he heart rate but be aware of the breathing rate and the heart rate reduction.
    When you can consciously reduce the heart rate through breathing correctly, then transfer the 'art' to between the intervals. Obviously you won't be counting the breaths or be able to achieve 36 bpm but you will have the ability to control it a bit better.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:

Try and practice this: sit comfortably in an upright position. Try and slow your breathing rate down to 3 breaths per minute.
    Initially, try 15 per minute and then work towards 14, 13, 12 etc. The heart rate will come down with it. It will teach you to breath very deeply thereby utilising as much of the lung as possible. It's amazing how much clarity you can achieve when doing this (after the dizzy stage). You can do it whilst driving or at the office. Initially, forget about he heart rate but be aware of the breathing rate and the heart rate reduction.
    When you can consciously reduce the heart rate through breathing correctly, then transfer the 'art' to between the intervals. Obviously you won't be counting the breaths or be able to achieve 36 bpm but you will have the ability to control it a bit better.

Sounds like "J" breathing used in diving and hypno birthing - normally you only use 3/4 of the lung capacity but you can train yourself to use the full capacity whilst slowing down the breathing rate and therefore HR.

Yoga, Pilates, meditation all use the same principle.

De-stress technique: generally called taking a Condor moment.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Flâneur wrote:
    you gave them a knife... next time let him bleed out

You may joke, but yes, it was my knife and my last words before I handed it over to him were "be careful, this is my really, really sharp knife".

I kid you not - the majority of these people are very special indeed.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Evenin All,

Hope you lot have been playing nicely while I've been out. Up early to get to Cheltenham way for 9.30am to try the new uplift that opened there. And good fun it was.

Consumed today:
    Ham n cheese sarni
    Sausage roll
    Bag of crisps
    Small pack of cocktail sausages
    Banana
    Pear
    Bar of chocolate
    Two cans of Monster

I'm dead healthy me. And you need lots of energy for this downhill malarky :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:

Sounds like "J" breathing used in diving and hypno birthing - normally you only use 3/4 of the lung capacity but you can train yourself to use the full capacity whilst slowing down the breathing rate and therefore HR.

Yoga, Pilates, meditation all use the same principle.

De-stress technique: generally called taking a Condor moment.

I got the technique from a martial arts instructor. He tries to teach people how to do it during a Kata!
  • Matthewfalle
    I used to teach it to people when I helped run a dive school years ago - once you get the hang of it it's really quite nice and extends dive times loads.

What's a Kata?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    'Kata' - fight. Breathing technique is where you hold the stomach muscles constantly whilst using 3/4 of the lung and never getting out of breath. Not something I can do but it's an art. When you start to explore the effect of breathing, it's quite amazing. I used it to control pain when I was in hospital. Now I do it sub-consciously.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Evenin All,

Hope you lot have been playing nicely while I've been out. Up early to get to Cheltenham way for 9.30am to try the new uplift that opened there. And good fun it was.

Consumed today:
    Ham n cheese sarni
    Sausage roll
    Bag of crisps
    Banana
    Pear
    Bar of chocolate
    Two cans of Monster

Worth going on a visit to my sister in laws and 'nipping' out for a day then
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Evenin All,

Consumed today:
    Ham n cheese sarni
    Sausage roll
    Bag of crisps
    Banana
    Pear
    Bar of chocolate
    Two cans of Monster

I had a double pepperoni pizza and two bottles of Cobra whilst watching the first series of X Files at 10:30 last night.

Breakfast is a pint of moka pot coffee before riding to work.

My body is a temple and I worship at that temple.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    'Kata' - fight. Breathing technique is where you hold the stomach muscles constantly whilst using 3/4 of the lung and never getting out of breath. Not something I can do but it's an art. When you start to explore the effect of breathing, it's quite amazing. I used it to control pain when I was in hospital. Now I do it sub-consciously.

I didn't't know you were a martialist artist - what do you do?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Evenin All,

Consumed today:
    Ham n cheese sarni
    Sausage roll
    Bag of crisps
    Banana
    Pear
    Bar of chocolate
    Two cans of Monster

Worth going on a visit to my sister in laws and 'nipping' out for a day then
    Yep. They only have 3 runs so far, a blue, a red and a black but they are good fun and a a decent challenge. 2 more in the pipeline apparently. We will go back at some point.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Pinno wrote:

He's a black belt in origami.

If I'm getting the gist of this breathing malarkey, I have the green light to belt you and Pinno in the whatsits and you won't feel a thing? Good to know.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    Forgot to say, google flyup 417, or flyup downhill. They operate at Forest of Dean and Gawton in Devon as well.
  • Flâneur
    cheers ladies n gents n others.

Sounds like what I have to do when diving to get used to the reg and cold the moment I jump in
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

No, the gentleman concerned is one of my minions. He is extremely good for advice on stretching and breathing exercises, diet, fitness, strength training without weights etc. Fantastic knowledge on the inter-relationship of the human body. It opens up a whole new world. He had a dislodged retina after a Thai Boxing fight and so had to give up the contact side of things but is still fit as fook. If I get aches and pains from work or the bike, he's the first port of call.