the thing’s hollow -- it goes on forever -- and -- oh my god -- it’s full of wednesday!

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,556
edited March 2016 in The bottom bracket
brekkie, gym, office, do some testing in the lab for customer who can't do it themselves, must try not to mock their test plan
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    : Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
    : Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
    : Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
    : I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,028
    True fact, everyone knows someone called Dave. Even a futuristic super computer.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Is 'pod bay doors' a euphemism?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Morning folks,
    I know a few Daves, one of them is more commonly known as Walker Walker Walker! That's in the crudder sense of walking. Had to drive in again today so I can get back to take the girl in to school for some of the last day of term. Hopefully will pedal back later. Busy as hell at work with lots of people ordering stuff desperate to have it before Easter. I will be in need of a beer later, good thing it's Wednesday.
    Onward and upward...
  • homers_double
    Last night consisted on grilled chicken, wholemeal rice and steamed brocolie. Followed by a fasted 35km ride this morning.

Onwards and (hopefully) inwards.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    You can blame the black plinth for interfering with anything and everything. Problem is, those magical powers have been exhausted and we are devolving. If you don't believe me, come to Scotland.

This is just procrastination. However, I did get an email from my sister and I did put her in her place and the self empowerment is liberating. The downside is that it is probably only temporary and she will arm her self with a large bucket of very runny sh1t and throw it towards a fan of unknown size.
    Had a funny* dream about a certain MILF who's a paramedic and then who was at the nursery this morning but certain MILF. Very spooky moment. I think she would have slapped me if she knew what had gone on in my head not long previously.

*figure of speech.

Another coffee methinks.

WTF are these 'fasting' rides all about?

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    There's a lad on my office who insists no one calls him Dave, very much David.
    As a result you can guess what I call him! I always call him tw@t
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    NapoleonD wrote:

Rodney?
  • seanoconn
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You can tell a lot about a person that doesn't like having their name shortened, namely that they''re a tw@t.
  • seanoconn
    There's a guy at work that calls me Si, I haven't got a problem with that and it's been a while so I haven't the heart to tell him my name isn't Simon.
  • homers_double
    Pinno wrote:

I'm about 96kg so if I run on empty it burns fuel other that porridge/chips/beer etc.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • seanoconn
    Pinno wrote:

I'm about 96kg so if I run on empty it burns fuel other that porridge/chips/beer etc.
    Are you very tall?
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Neanderthals are bigger boned than Neolithians. Have you factored this in? What's it like riding on empty, must be hell?
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    riding empty is fine, I've never wanted to leave bed until the last minute so have forever skipped breakfast on the morning ride. Easy until you go past the 50/60 mile mark. post 60 miles recovery can be a mess.

Empty = the booze from whatever time the drinking stopped the night before
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    Neanderthal's are well known for the arms reaching well below the knee in their (semi) upright position. Of the majority of locals, the hands drag on the ground though I suspect that this is pre-Neanderthal or perhaps even evolution in action.
    The point is, where would HD get a 95 cm stem? Does he have to go all over with the Veet?
  • homers_double
    I make no (big) bones about the fact I'm a bit chunky, why do you think I took up road cycling in the first place?

The important fact is, I'm trying.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Pinno wrote:

That's what I call a northern breakfast. :shock:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    I make no (big) bones about the fact I'm a bit chunky, why do you think I took up road cycling in the first place?

I have no issue with that. It was simply the idea of running on empty and it provided me with some Neolithian poetic license. My reserves are scant and my under active Thyroid coupled with a fast metabolism means I have to eat often. If I went on a fasted ride over 10 miles, i'd be suicidal such is the effect that bonking would have on me.
    I did chuck my bike in a hedge during a road race once but that's another story.

I am however, up to 71.9 kg's. 5 kg's above my 'normal' weight all because of the disastrously windy and wet winter and bloody hell does it make a difference on the hilly bits.
  • veronese68

You'd think the clue in your user name would help. And whilst I'd like to commend you for trying this is the BB, so, yes you are very trying. Were this in CC I'd be calling you fatty as well but roadies are more easily upset so I won't say that here.
  • seanoconn
    Pinno wrote:

I have no issue with that. It was simply the idea of running on empty and it provided me with some Neolithian poetic license. My reserves are scant and my under active Thyroid coupled with a fast metabolism means I have to eat often. If I went on a fasted ride over 10 miles, i'd be suicidal such is the effect that bonking would have on me.

I did chuck my bike in a hedge during a road race once but that's another story.

I am however, up to 71.9 kg's. 5 kg's above my 'normal' weight all because of the disastrously windy and wet winter and bloody hell does it make a difference on the hilly
    bits.
    72 Kg is a bit chunky for a pigmy.
  • slowmart
    Pinno wrote:

i'd be suicidal such is the effect that bonking would have on me.

When I was a lad the term "bonking" conveyed intimate fun with females......... :shock:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

And well done for that.

I'm lucky enough to have the same build as Pinno, and like him I run on pie. I can't imagine going out unfed.

The older I get, the better I was.

• slowmart
    @ HD

You have to careful with fasted rides if you want to crystallise your efforts into measurable gains.

Its essential to determine your correct zones and then to ride in your endurance zone, cadence min 90rpm and a 90 min to 2 hours to get the best adaptation for fat burning and aerobically. Calorie intake also needs to be of sufficient quality and segmented according to carbs, protein and fat.

That last sentence was easy to write but doesn't convey the crap it took to determine those facts.

Use them wisely grasshopper.

Desmond Tutu
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    bad start to the day, knackered my rear shifter, so currently contemplating whether to upgrade/downgrade or sideways grade the replacement.

If anyone wants a left hand ultegra 6800 shifter in pretty much like new condition let me know!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pinno
    What do they say: Get a flat stomach in the kitchen and abs in the gym.

Slowmart's sophisticated approach is boiled down to calorie burn exceeding intake.
    High fibre and roughage will speed the metabolism up. The rich diet that you have often referred to will not assist. If you are serious, have a look at one of the Tri-athlete forums. I got a shed load of info on diet and training with an under active thyroid. There are pros who have under active thyroids. I did try the tri-athlete diet for about 3 weeks and got fed up of being hungry. I was a little quicker and I did have a bit more energy but also got fed up with getting up at 3am to eat Weetabix so I could get to sleep.
    More interestingly, in training for the Etape caledonia, in the 6 months leading up to it, I did not loose any weight. 2-3 weeks after the event, my metabolism took off. I was doing a fraction of the mileage, ate like a horse and lost 3-4 kg' in a matter of 2 months. So sometimes, in older MAMILS like us, accelerating one's metabolic rate takes time. I am not unique in that phenomenon.

Recently I discovered nuts (oooer missus), dried fruit and light lunches. Christ they are good for energy. I tend not to go so well in the morning whereas, if I fuel up all day and go for an afternoon/evening ride, I can motor.

TLW has his 'woodburner' going lickety split by the sounds of it and it probably doesn't matter one jot what he consumes in the way of pies and beer. I'd like to get back into that vein. In fact, if he stopped the pies and beer, he would keel over.

A 35km ride is most likely to deplete your blood Glycogen but not burn much fat. Soz mate.

So hereendethelessen.
  • pinno
    Chris Bass wrote:
    bad start to the day, knackered my rear shifter, so currently contemplating whether to upgrade/downgrade or sideways grade the replacement.

If anyone wants a left hand ultegra 6800 shifter in pretty much like new condition let me know!

Well you would buy Shimano :roll:
  • homers_double
    Taken from this mornings ride... https://www.strava.com/activities/524420994

Speed 24.7km/h 63.0km/h
    Heart Rate 154bpm 176bpm
    Cadence 81 217
    Calories 929
    Temperature 3℃
    Elapsed Time 1:26:35

I've tested my max HR to 191bpm, so Z3 (endurance) is, according to BR between 143 and 156bpm, my average was 154 so towards the top end but there or therabouts.

So far today I have eaten the following:-

A bowl of bran flakes (post ride)
    A bowl of salad from Asda which also contained a slice of ham and an egg along with 200g's of cooked chicken again from asda, washed down with water and a snack pot of grapes.
    Dinner will be a grilled chicken, about 60g (uncooked) of wholemeal rice and steamed brocolie.

Tea consumption so far has hit 5 cups as I've been out on the road (see asda salad).

Apologies if this is all too serious for this forum.

TLDR:- HD wears XL.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • homers_double
    Oh, and about 35km is all I can manage before getting in to work late around 9.15/30.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    Pinno wrote:
    Well you would buy Shimano :roll:
    Oh yes, Mr Campagnolo snob. Did you have a pop at MF a little while ago for abbreviating it to Campy? Probably preferring Campag. It would seem Campy is what they recognise as an abbreviation.
  • veronese68
    Apologies if this is all too serious for this forum.
    Are we allowed to talk about riding bikes in this section of the forum? :shock: