Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Newbie's First MTB

muttley_109muttley_109 Posts: 177
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all,

I've wandered over here from the road bike section with an itch to go mountain biking. I've never had the urge to go mountain biking before, the closest I got was messing around on some trails on a CX bike. Great fun but as soon as it got rocky my eyes got shaken around so much I couldn't see and steep stuff in the drops is not fun or comfortable!
However I received an email about the new Alpkit/Sonder Transmitter which for some reason made me want to go offroading.
https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/bikes/son ... r-gx1-1x11

Given my lack of MTB knowledge and experience I've had read through some thread here and on other forums which has now got me completely unsure what I want to buy.

Living in South Wales i'm surrounded by trail centres as well as the Brecon beacons. Now I've read that for the trail centres most people would use a short travel full suspension bike like a Giant Trance which would cost more than the alpkit/sonder for a decent spec.

Would I be better off going straight for a full suspension bike or would the alpkit transmitter be a decent option for the local trails? I don't want to go overkill for my lack of skills but at the same time I don't want to get something that I'm going to find hard going then want to upgrade.

Buying roadbikes is so much easier than this!

Thanks

Ben
Cannondale CAAD 10
Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
Bird Zero TR