Newbie's First MTB

muttley_109
muttley_109 Posts: 177
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all,

I've wandered over here from the road bike section with an itch to go mountain biking. I've never had the urge to go mountain biking before, the closest I got was messing around on some trails on a CX bike. Great fun but as soon as it got rocky my eyes got shaken around so much I couldn't see and steep stuff in the drops is not fun or comfortable!
However I received an email about the new Alpkit/Sonder Transmitter which for some reason made me want to go offroading.
https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/bikes/son ... r-gx1-1x11

Given my lack of MTB knowledge and experience I've had read through some thread here and on other forums which has now got me completely unsure what I want to buy.

Living in South Wales i'm surrounded by trail centres as well as the Brecon beacons. Now I've read that for the trail centres most people would use a short travel full suspension bike like a Giant Trance which would cost more than the alpkit/sonder for a decent spec.

Would I be better off going straight for a full suspension bike or would the alpkit transmitter be a decent option for the local trails? I don't want to go overkill for my lack of skills but at the same time I don't want to get something that I'm going to find hard going then want to upgrade.

Buying roadbikes is so much easier than this!

Thanks

Ben
Cannondale CAAD 10
Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
Bird Zero TR

Comments

• bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    I would go and test some before making a decision, should be spoiled for choice where you live. You may find you prefer a HT over a full suspension and at the price point of that HT you linked to there are loads of decent options both HT and full suss out there. I wouldn't get hung up on brands like Giant either as the premium you pay for the name comes at the cost of the quality of the components.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Trance would be an excellent choice and pretty good value.
    Check out Pauls Cycles website. They have some bargain Giants.
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    Wow those are great deals! Never seen Anthems with that spec for so cheap.
  • muttley_109
    muttley_109 Posts: 177
    I'll head up to afan and BPW and see what different bikes I can hire and try out. My head is saying get a hardtail, stick to blues, learn some skills and go from there. My heart is saying spend the extra, get a full sus, dive in head first, scare myself shitless and then realise I need to learn some new skills :D
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • Thats the way muttley!

On a serious, start on 1 blue but try not to hold back then give 1 red a go just dont go all out if you dont feel comfortable!
    Personally i'd try and do the same blue and red on both a HT and full suss, that way you can gauge the difference the bike makes. then go from there......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On advantage of a hardtail (or short travel full suss) is you can scare yourself at a lower speed, that way the injuries are less severe.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're not experienced best stay off the bike park Wales red trails. They're more like black at most trail centres and can punish mistakes quite severely.
    The blacks at Afan are really easy and definitely over graded. Strangely, the red final descent on blade is a bit more pokey than the blacks.