Monument Top 5

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,535
    :roll: we all know the Worlds has replaced Lombardy as the 5th monument as it's a race riders actually prepare for rather than treat as an afterthought.

1. Roubaix
    2. Flanders
    3. MSR

4. Worlds
    5. LBL

Basement: Lombardy :twisted:

Always thought you were a Flanders fan over PR?

For me it's

Roubaix
    Flanders

The other three vary but are all a long way behind. Used to love LBL but most recent editions have been poor, Lombardy is a great course with often very good racing but just suffers from end of term syndrome. MSR was always my least favourite but has grown on me recently and offers the chance for a wide variety of rider to win.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pross wrote:
    offers the chance for a wide variety of rider to win.

Not sure about that. I can only see 6 riders who could win it.

From a reduced bunch sprint
    Gaviria
    Matthews
    Bouhanni
    Kristoff

From anything else
    GVA
    Cancellara

And yes, I have remembered Sagan. He won't win it in either scenario.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Flanders
    Roubaix
    Lombardy
    MSR
    World's.

I don't really enjoy the climbing classics bar Lombardy for some reason. Also flanders over roubaix as I put Roubaix on such a pedestal it's always a let down.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Flanders has had more shit winners than any other of the monuments.

Roubaix is an anachronism, a throwback to the (shit) past. Rick claims Lombardy suffers from no one targeting it, but only a tiny handful of the top riders in the world have a chance of winning Roubaix.

Liege has been dull since the finish moved to Ans, proving that by making the finish hard you remove the spectacle from the race. ASO should move the finish back to the centre of Liege, which would make it a tactically more nuanced race.

Lombardy is the most beautiful race in the world. MSR is, as someone else, a slow burning thriller, which can be won by sprinters, puncheurs and even, although rarely these days, by GT contenders.

So my ranking would be;

Lombardy
    MSR
    Flanders
    Roubaix
    Liege
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Sure only a handful of riders target Roubaix (rather like Lombardy) but they do define their season around success or failure in the Flanders Roubaix combo. Entire teams will be dedicated to riding all the semi classics in the build up, Omloop, E3, gent wevelgem, de panne etc. For a group of riders those races are IT.

Riders up for Liege will certainly define the first half of their season for it. They will also have certain teams focused on it.

Rarely, if ever, do you see a rider define a major part of their season by Lombardy. It's an after thought, like I said.

It's a fine race but you can't get excited about it if the riders don't.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Sure only a handful of riders target Roubaix (rather like Lombardy) but they do define their season around success or failure in the Flanders Roubaix combo. Entire teams will be dedicated to riding all the semi classics in the build up, Omloop, E3, gent wevelgem, de panne etc. For a group of riders those races are IT.

Riders up for Liege will certainly define the first half of their season for it. They will also have certain teams focused on it.

Rarely, if ever, do you see a rider define a major part of their season by Lombardy. It's an after thought, like I said.

It's a fine race but you can't get excited about it if the riders don't.

Canc, Stybar, and a few others, although ITT Worlds and Olympics for Fabian. Sep may as well hang up his shoes for the year after PR.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    andyp wrote:
    Rick claims Lombardy suffers from no one targeting it, but only a tiny handful of the top riders in the world have a chance of winning Roubaix.

Bit like the Tour then ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Joelsim wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Gaviria
    Matthews
    Bouhanni
    Kristoff

From anything else
    GVA
    Cancellara

In the last few years we've seen a wide diversity of riders get on the podium. From Nibali to Cavendish via Gerrans and Cancellara.
    No other classic has had a Tour winner and a Green jersey winner (two in fact) on it's podium.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Gaviria
    Matthews
    Bouhanni
    Kristoff

From anything else
    GVA
    Cancellara

In the last few years we've seen a wide diversity of riders get on the podium. From Nibali to Cavendish via Gerrans and Cancellara.
    No other classic has had a Tour winner and a Green jersey winner (two in fact) on it's podium.

Didn't Merckx win all of them? Thus meaning they all have.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    RichN95 wrote:

Didn't Merckx win all of them? Thus meaning they all have.
    "In the last few years"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful part of the world. Seriously considered having my honeymoon there. I've been to the Church.

It's decent racing too. Decent winners list etc.

But it's hard to take it seriously when so few riders base their season around it. It's the Vuelta of the classics. The last chance saloon for those who can still be arsed.

Depends how you judge a race - personally as it isn't targeted then, there has been over recent years, more unpredictability over who might win - makes the racing a little more exciting IMO. The parcours tends to lend it itself to aggressive racing unlike MSR where not much happens until the Cipressa. And as you say it is beautiful - if I am going to sit and watch something for 3 hours, it is great to marvel at the scenery when the racing lulls.
  • rick_chasey
    mr_poll wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful part of the world. Seriously considered having my honeymoon there. I've been to the Church.

It's decent racing too. Decent winners list etc.

But it's hard to take it seriously when so few riders base their season around it. It's the Vuelta of the classics. The last chance saloon for those who can still be arsed.

Depends how you judge a race - personally as it isn't targeted then, there has been over recent years, more unpredictability over who might win - makes the racing a little more exciting IMO.

Should try watching some cat 4 racing then ;)
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    :roll: we all know the Worlds has replaced Lombardy as the 5th monument as it's a race riders actually prepare for rather than treat as an afterthought.

If we're counting the Worlds as a monument then in terms of prestige it's surely second only to Roubaix?

I also agree with what a few people have said about Lombardy's position in the season. It's a good race and great parcours but it generally has an end of term feel to it.

My subjective opinion:

Flanders
    Roubaix
    MSR
    Lombardy
    Liege
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232
    I'm with Hinault - Paris Roubaix is a novelty/circus act: it's a celebration of the bleak.
    It's a great race but the idea of it being top dog gets way too much credence.
    Probably the greatest cycling nation of the last 30 years has had pretty much 1 rider show up for P-R in the last decade - Flecha.
  • rick_chasey
    Not that great is it then?

Then again, it's a nation that can't eat dinner at reasonable times and has no big one day classics *shrugs*
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    1 PR
    2 MSR
    3 Flanders
    4 Lombardi
    5 LBL

That's my order although does vary often
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Flanders with the muur top without P-R trumps it
    Worlds
    LBL
    MSR

as a whole, last 50 or so k of MSR is awesome but 200-250 k before it is no fun to watch. I also like Amstel and Strade Bianche, i think in in 20 years or so SB will be huge