New Brakes or Better Pads for the Bigger Rider

2»

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    and nobody has ever answered my question.

Lies :lol::):o
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    lesfirth wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    I am a similar weight and found the cheap rim brakes bikes come with borderline dangerous.

You should try some Weinmanns with the two tone pads, on steel rims, particularly when it's raining torrentially. Those are dangerous. I have not come across any modern brakes that come close, however cheap. I use a 105 caliper on one bike and a Tektro long drop on another, they do the same thing.

We are dealing with simple friction here - the two surfaces involved will determine how effective your brakes are, so definitely get better pads first.

Some may think this is bollox but anyone with a little technical/scientific/engineering knowledge will agree with it.

So why buy DA brakes? Or Ultegra? Or Sora for that matter? When you can have a pair of Tektro suicide calipers for less than £20 a set.
    We've been here before and the simple fact is that better brakes are better. They give better modulation, better power, stop you more efficiently.
    If you want to penny pinch with rubbish brakes and better pads that's your choice but you have still got rubbish brakes.

I know we have been here many times and nobody has ever answered my question. Take DA out of it, please tell me why does an expensive dual pivot caliper works any better than a cheap dual pivot caliper?

Similar answer to why, for example, Jennifer Lawrence is better looking than Susan Boyle.

She just is.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Probably similar progression from why a cheap duel pivot works better than a single pivot ;-)

And centre pulls are better than that, and discs better still. Why are you using such mediocre, old fashioned technology?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Carbonator wrote:
    Probably similar progression from why a cheap duel pivot works better than a single pivot ;-)

And centre pulls are better than that, and discs better still. Why are you using such mediocre, old fashioned technology?

How do you know what the fcuk I am using? 8)

Not quite sure why you go from tektro loving to DA direct mount hating??
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    trailflow wrote:

I know I am an old git and my memory is not what it was. Please save me the time it will take searching and remind me who answered my question.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    lesfirth wrote:
    trailflow wrote:

I know I am an old git and my memory is not what it was. Please save me the time it will take searching and remind me who answered my question.

Les, let it go, they are all wrong are you are right ;)
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, you win, you have the best rim brakes and they did not cost you much.

My DA direct mount are no better and I wasted my money :cry:
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Semantik wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    I am a similar weight and found the cheap rim brakes bikes come with borderline dangerous.

You should try some Weinmanns with the two tone pads, on steel rims, particularly when it's raining torrentially. Those are dangerous. I have not come across any modern brakes that come close, however cheap. I use a 105 caliper on one bike and a Tektro long drop on another, they do the same thing.

We are dealing with simple friction here - the two surfaces involved will determine how effective your brakes are, so definitely get better pads first.

Some may think this is bollox but anyone with a little technical/scientific/engineering knowledge will agree with it.

So why buy DA brakes? Or Ultegra? Or Sora for that matter? When you can have a pair of Tektro suicide calipers for less than £20 a set.
    We've been here before and the simple fact is that better brakes are better. They give better modulation, better power, stop you more efficiently.
    If you want to penny pinch with rubbish brakes and better pads that's your choice but you have still got rubbish brakes.

I know we have been here many times and nobody has ever answered my question. Take DA out of it, please tell me why does an expensive dual pivot caliper works any better than a cheap dual pivot caliper?

Similar answer to why, for example, Jennifer Lawrence is better looking than Susan Boyle.

She just is.

I have no wish to slander either lady but if I wanted to get the" job done" I would much prefer to do it with Jennifer( super record) Lawrence than Susan (tektro ) Boyle. In this case it is because" I just would" .
    A super record caliper is just better looking than a tektro but I am saying they both do the job.
  • I have to agree with Simon. Good pads will improve braking whatever caliper they are attached to. Better brakes will give better modulation but ultimate stopping ability can't be much different. I must admit my practical experience is out of date; the last time I was unhappy with my brakes was with Weinmanns, I changed the pads and the difference was astounding. It seems to me that the Tektros are a world better than the Weinmanns. They may not be as good as 105s but they aren't that far behind. As I said above I am changing the pads and I'll report back.
  • Well the new pads are in now and there is a huge improvement in stopping power and feel. While I was at it I took a closer look at the brakes and to be honest I can't see anything that would make me question them. They seem to have equally robust cross section on the arms as any of the big name brands, and there isn't excessive play in the pivots. Which begs the question why does the OP say that they aren't any good, and why have so many people posted advising changing them?
  • Anonymous
    5800 and above pivot differently, but hey, I am not going to get into a debate about it.

I have very nice brakes/pads and I like them.
    If you guys rocking the Tektros are happy with them then it's all good.

Am not going to quantify how much better 5800/direct mount etc. are, but they are better.

Deal with it and move on.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    5800 and above pivot differently, but hey, I am not going to get into a debate about it.

I have very nice brakes/pads and I like them.
    If you guys rocking the Tektros are happy with them then it's all good.

Am not going to quantify how much better 5800/direct mount etc. are, but they are better.

Deal with it and move on.
    All very reasonable, but what you actually wrote was:
    Carbonator wrote:
    What utter bollox!
  • Anonymous
    Well it was.

The two things are not linked.
  • cpacey86
    cpacey86 Posts: 17
    So better late than never, I thought I would provide a quick update....

Snapped up a pair of 105 5800 Brake Calipers for £34 from Chain Reaction and fitted them yesterday, been out on a couple of cycles since, and the performance is fantastic.The stopping power seems to of dramatically improved and the responsiveness of the breaks has improved also. I understand that this could could also be achieved from new pads on my old brakes but for £34 it was a no brainer. I imagine if i was to fit Swisstop pads to my 105's the performance would be even better.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. It really helps someone like me who has only been in cycling 18 months or so.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    cpacey86 wrote:
    I imagine if i was to fit Swisstop pads to my 105's the performance would be even better.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. It really helps someone like me who has only been in cycling 18 months or so.

If you are going to swop the Shimano pads out for SwissStop try the Blue FlashPro BXP, if you are happy with the performance of the Shimano pads, wait until the pads need to be replaced, then try the SwissStops.

http://www.swissstop.com/tech/compounds/bxp/