What's cooler than a Gabba 2?

chicken_leg
chicken_leg Posts: 36
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Beautiful day today. Was probably 6 or 7 degrees C when I left the house this morning and 14 when I got home at lunchtime. Had a great ride but was really hot in my Castelli Gabba 2 long sleeve with a short sleeve baselayer underneath.

Can anyone suggest a long sleeve jersey to get me through the spring. I figure I need something cool enough to be able to layer over the top if the temp drops mid ride. Maybe a jersey/gilet combo

Cheers
G

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Castelli Alpha Jersey or Sportful light norain top

or get a fawesome if rain protection on the arms not important
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    +1 for Sportful Light NoRain Jersey. Or get the Sportful Light No-Rain Top and wear it over a light-ish LS jersey. My go to in the current weather is a LS merino base, a LS Rapha club jersey and the Sportful "top". Means you can take the "top" off (it - just - fits in a jersey pocket) when it warms up, but you have three layers to start with. If it's 8-10 to styart with I'll go with LS base and Sportful jersey.

Links - because it's sufficiently confusing that I ended up with the top by mistake, thinking I was buying a second jersey (glad that happened, in the end):

Jersey (has pockets): http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clot ... 56448.html

"Top" (in quotes 'cos it's really a jacket): http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/spor ... ket-259779

New hot-pack jacket (may have replaced the "top" - don't have one of these): http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clot ... 56382.html
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Try the Castelli Perfetto Light. Its basically the Gabba but for warmer temperatures.
    Paired with some nanoflex arm warmers it would be perfect for what you are looking for.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Castelli Trasparente.

Pretty much the same fit and style as the Gabba but works from best from around 10 degrees to 16 degrees and windproof front (not sleeves). Was my go-to jersey for most of the Autumn.

Can often pick them up for around £70 if you look around.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    This is what they invented the castelli fawsome gillet for y'know. It's made from gabba material and is surprisingly warm.

About this time of year I switch from wearing winter jackets over my jersey to putting the gillet on with my summer kit and arm/leg armers. Sometimes if its a still a little chilly in the morning I have an extra lightweight windproof jacket which I always carry in my pocket and that goes on until it's warmed up a bit.

I think the Fawsome gillet is probably the bit of kit that gets most usage in my entire wardrobe. It's great, it just squashes into a jersey pocket when you get too hot as well.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Castelly Gabba is perfect for spring. Long sleeve was the wrong choice.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    In the absence of dampness, why are people still wearing Gabba's?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I'd only ever wear the gabba if it was raining or predicted to rain to be honest, I don't rate it's breathability that much in the temperature range you mentioned.

I don't get the 'long sleeve being the wrong choice' comment either - you're still gonna be pretty hot in a short sleeve (what I have).

I'd just try a few non rain jerseys on in a shop to see how they feel to be honest...maybe add gilet and arm warmers if you go short sleeve? The fact that the gabba is more of a rain jersey is the problem I think (I know plenty of people use it on cold rides too)
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278

1. I don't know where you ride but in Yorkshire 3 or even 4 seasons in a 2 hour ride is not uncommon. Just cos it's sunny now doesn't mean it's not going to absolutely piss it down, especially once you're in the hills.

2. Gabba is windproof and last year was the one of the windiest years on record.

3. There's no better alternative at this time of year.
  • bendertherobot
    jrich wrote:

1. I don't know where you ride but in Yorkshire 3 or even 4 seasons in a 2 hour ride is not uncommon. Just cos it's sunny now doesn't mean it's not going to absolutely wee-wee it down, especially once you're in the hills.

2. Gabba is windproof and last year was the one of the windiest years on record.

3. There's no better alternative at this time of year.

There are plenty of options. Alpha for a start, which will outdo the Gabba in wet conditions in my experience and just be a nicer thing to wear. It's as windproof. The Trasparente is a better option. I have a Mossa for the damp, but I'd never have dreamt of putting it on yesterday. So this isn't Gabba bashing.

But, the thing is, check the weather. I saw loads of people in Gabba's yesterday. I was out testing short sleeve jerseys. It was a bit fresh but ok. There were no clouds within visible distance and, according to rain today, no rain within about 200 miles. Whilst weather can catch you out it wasn't going to happen yesterday.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    I've got a Gore Oxygen Windstopper jersey which is pretty versatile and perfect for spring days when paired with arm warmers.

The front is windstopper softshell so gives a bit of wind and water protection but the back is much the same as a normal jersey so it doesn't get too hot.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Beautiful day today. Was probably 6 or 7 degrees C when I left the house this morning and 14 when I got home at lunchtime. Had a great ride but was really hot in my Castelli Gabba 2 long sleeve with a short sleeve baselayer underneath.

Can anyone suggest a long sleeve jersey to get me through the spring. I figure I need something cool enough to be able to layer over the top if the temp drops mid ride. Maybe a jersey/gilet combo

Cheers
    G

Spring time is always good to have a 'roubaix' type long sleeve jersey in the wardrobe. Warm but very breathable. Pair it with a lightweight windproof gilet in case the mornings are a little chilly
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I used my Castelli Velocissimo team long sleeve (thermoflex?) jersey, paired with the matching Velocissimo team gilet on Saturday and was nice and comfy all the way round. I like the fact the two items share the same colourway so match really well! I also really rate the Sportful No Rain Light Top - very thin and stretchy but surprisingly cosy and breathable. Evans were doing them at £55 a week or so ago...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

Because it's a good wind stopper when it's 5-6 degrees in the morning?

I was also on the Gabba yesterday (100 Km 1700 mt of climbing) ... a bit warm on the climbs after 11 AM, but just opened the zip and had no issues.

British have a fear of sweating, which almost matches the fear of freezing Mediterranean folks have... bit of balance needed
    left the forum March 2023
  • bendertherobot

Because it's a good wind stopper when it's 5-6 degrees in the morning?

I was also on the Gabba yesterday (100 Km 1700 mt of climbing) ... a bit warm on the climbs after 11 AM, but just opened the zip and had no issues.

British have a fear of sweating, which almost matches the fear of freezing Mediterranean folks have... bit of balance needed

Other windstoppers are available. Hundreds of them. Many of which are at least the equal of the Gabba and a lot of which are much better at coping with diurnal temperatures. It's almost as if there are no other choices ;)

The question the OP posed is probably not the right one. The question should be what's more versatile or what's better at breathing. And the truth is that quite a lot is. The Gabba is not the answer to all life's ills. If you own one, great. Use it and be aware that it can be a compromise.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I think the Gabba covers a good enough range of temperatures and weather to cope with 60-70% of the typical British conditions over the year. In Italy I would never buy one... too hot for spring/summer, too cold for most winter days... probably good in November and March
    left the forum March 2023
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Wore my Gabba over a short sleeve baselayer plus arm warmers yesterday for an 80 mile sportive. It was 1 degree when we set out and foggy but 12 degrees and sunny by the time we finished. I was a little chilly to start even with a rain jacket over the Gabba but I never got too hot having taken off the jacket when the sun came out. I would conclude that the Gabba is for more than just wet weather and is a pretty versatile garment due to it's wind proof qualities. I didn't feel cold descending in the early part of the ride and didn't feel too hot at the end either.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    PTestTeam wrote:

Spring time is always good to have a 'roubaix' type long sleeve jersey in the wardrobe. Warm but very breathable. Pair it with a lightweight windproof gilet in case the mornings are a little chilly

I would go along with this. I have had good results with the DHB Aeron Roubaix jersey at 8degC and higher. The Alpha Jersey would also be good bet and for 12degC and higher something like the Assos Intermediate Jersey or similar.

PS 14degC? Lucky buggers! according to my Garmin, it was just 2 degC average for my 100 km ride in the Swiss Jura yesterday.
  • bendertherobot
    robbo2011 wrote:
    PTestTeam wrote:

I would go along with this. I have had good results with the DHB Aeron Roubaix jersey at 8degC and higher. The Alpha Jersey would also be good bet and for 12degC and higher something like the Assos Intermediate Jersey or similar.

PS 14degC? Lucky buggers! according to my Garmin, it was just 2 degC average for my 100 km ride in the Swiss Jura yesterday.

Have to say that the Intermediate S7 remains one of the best things ever made. I really should own one again. So versatile. The only issue is that you can buy 4 pieces of kit to do the one job it does. I love that thing. Hmm. Goes on hunt.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Shout out for the Rapha ProTeam softshell base layer (or whatever they call it). Keeps you warm and the rain off your body but being thin and short sleeved does nt get too hot. Then wear any sort of long sleeve jersey over the top to keep the wind off your arms. It appears they did nt sell to well (bender!! ;) ) so they are often nicely reduced
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Gabba Convertible?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Camcycle1974
    robbo2011 wrote:
    PTestTeam wrote:

Have to say that the Intermediate S7 remains one of the best things ever made. I really should own one again. So versatile. The only issue is that you can buy 4 pieces of kit to do the one job it does. I love that thing. Hmm. Goes on hunt.

Can you elaborate on why the Intermediate s7 jacket is so good? They have one on the Assos outlet shop in my size
  • bendertherobot
    It's just very usable. The windstopper front is very light but hugely effective. The arms are ultra comfortable and feel like nothing. Despite that they offer good warmth in fresh weather and, partnered with a base layer, work well even in cold temps. The cuffs are nice, the pockets work. The neck is well sized. It's a combination of things. It is expensive though, and you can get clothing that can do the same sort of stuff for cheaper. The Gore Xenon Jacket (not the full on one) is quite a similar product overall.

I used to be an Assos fanboy. Loved their Mille shorts but don't like the S7 stuff. A personal thing. The Bonka is great but well overpriced. But I really do rate the S7 Intermediate and also the tk.607 bib knickers. They're gone as well now..........
  • Camcycle1974
    It's just very usable. The windstopper front is very light but hugely effective. The arms are ultra comfortable and feel like nothing. Despite that they offer good warmth in fresh weather and, partnered with a base layer, work well even in cold temps. The cuffs are nice, the pockets work. The neck is well sized. It's a combination of things. It is expensive though, and you can get clothing that can do the same sort of stuff for cheaper. The Gore Xenon Jacket (not the full on one) is quite a similar product overall.

I used to be an Assos fanboy. Loved their Mille shorts but don't like the S7 stuff. A personal thing. The Bonka is great but well overpriced. But I really do rate the S7 Intermediate and also the tk.607 bib knickers. They're gone as well now..........

Thanks. It does seem an odd business model to discontinue stuff that works and people like to replace with items that split opinion. Have looked at S7 bibs etc but it would be a real gamble, I don't see the benefit of the semi-detached pad. I have jackets of course but most are too warm for use in anything bar winter. The Gabba with arm warmers will suffice for spring/autumn use I suppose. Even with discount the S7 intermediate jacket is £160, not exactly cheap! Reviews of the DHB stuff look promising, keep them coming :mrgreen:
  • bendertherobot

Thanks. It does seem an odd business model to discontinue stuff that works and people like to replace with items that split opinion. Have looked at S7 bibs etc but it would be a real gamble, I don't see the benefit of the semi-detached pad. I have jackets of course but most are too warm for use in anything bar winter. The Gabba with arm warmers will suffice for spring/autumn use I suppose. Even with discount the S7 intermediate jacket is £160, not exactly cheap! Reviews of the DHB stuff look promising, keep them coming :mrgreen:

Yeah. £160 is a lot. It's why I don't have it. I found it hard to justify owning one when you could have lots of other kit. So, as good as it is........

More DHB reviews coming. Some which Wiggle provided, others which they didn't, including, a bit later on, some women's kit reviews. Written by me with feedback from her indoors! (The stuff I bought her for Xmas)
  • Camcycle1974

Yeah. £160 is a lot. It's why I don't have it. I found it hard to justify owning one when you could have lots of other kit. So, as good as it is........

More DHB reviews coming. Some which Wiggle provided, others which they didn't, including, a bit later on, some women's kit reviews. Written by me with feedback from her indoors! (The stuff I bought her for Xmas)

I agree with your more is less philosophy. Wiggle are good for that as individual bits of kit don't break the bank unlike Assos, Rapha etc. As us cyclist are kit geeks it makes sense to have as many items as one can justify (or not in my case!)
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    robbo2011 wrote:
    PTestTeam wrote:

How does DHB sizing come up?

I'm a 40" chest so right on the med / lrg sizes according to their chart.

I really need a new spring autumn jersey, was thinking the Castelli Trasparente also fits the bill well too.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • bendertherobot
    40 should be a large. It will be a nice race fit. I'm 41 and have the XL.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    40 should be a large. It will be a nice race fit. I'm 41 and have the XL.
    8)

Cheers.

Just seen the windslam too, may be more what I'm after.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Camcycle1974
    Matt_N wrote:
    robbo2011 wrote:
    PTestTeam wrote:

How does DHB sizing come up?

I'm a 40" chest so right on the med / lrg sizes according to their chart.

I really need a new spring autumn jersey, was thinking the Castelli Trasparente also fits the bill well too.

39" chest and 32" waist at 5ft 10" here and I tend to take M in everything including DHB. My Gabba is M and is snug but that's how it should be. If you have any extra front timber I would possibly go up a size.