100 mile training plan

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
Planning a 100 mile charity ride this August and need a training plan. Been off the bike for 6 months, weights gone on so starting a fresh.
The route is on hard roads no big climbs but rolling roads

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Get the weight off - makes a big difference
    then do a couple of short/faster rides a week and a longer one. Slowly up the distance on the longer one.
    If you can do spin class/turbo sessions do that too.

100 miles of road cycling is very achievable with a bit of effort.

Make sure you stretch properly after each ride
    e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgEbH31FbWs
  • _HENDO_
    _HENDO_ Posts: 93
    If it's for charity slow and steady is best option.
    For professional MTB & BMX coaching, training & guiding!
    www.pedaltoprogression.com
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    If you've got until August then no big deal, since it's a charity ride then pacing wise it doesn't really matter. By far the most important thing is just spending a lot of time riding your bike, since you're going to be spending 7-8 hours in the saddle, working up to doing regular 5-6 hour rides will be the best thing, as well as just being comfortable on the bike.

Losing weight is good advice too, plenty of time to get that done before August too.
  • deanflyer
    deanflyer Posts: 52
    Dont go off too fast, take your normal speed and knock a couple of mph off it. Do this for a 2-3 hours and if you feel good, try upping the speed a bit. Also eat and drink regularly. This is what I find hard as I never feel particularly hungry when I ride.
  • SteveR8
    SteveR8 Posts: 1
    To be honest some of the best training plans i have seen are on the charity website where they have a selection of options based on the event date. Look at the website for british heart foundation or Macmillan both have week by week plans. 8)
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    hard and fast to start with, the further you go while you have energy the quicker you get it done.... is the worst advice I could give to you.

I did 101 miles on Bank Holiday Friday and had the wind behind be for the first 30 of these, I thought I was Chris Froome. Turns out I'm not and the rest of the ride with side winds and head wind killed me.
    Charity rides are never that fast you feel out of your comfort zone, although you need to prep by getting in some big rides don't under estimate the benefit of a short sharp training ride. We all have different ways of training etc but having done my fair share I get plenty out of a 15/20 miler giving it some beans as I do a 75/100 miler.

good luck though.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What distance can you do now ? Its easier to add distance cycling than running - so if you can do 20 already - even if you added a measly 5 miles a week onto the long weekly ride - you'd be up to 100 in July.
    So do that and do faster or harder short rides or spin classes midweek.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Jens Voight training plan from fitbit

I have no idea if good or bad but his facebook page threw up a link and i thought of this thread

https://blog.fitbit.com/century-ride-series-part-2-daily-training-plan/
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Jay_Forme wrote:
    hard and fast to start with, the further you go while you have energy the quicker you get it done.... is the worst advice I could give to you.

haha good one :). Yeah; all the best advice I've heard for long rides is that the first half should always be at an easy pace, well within yourself, it should feel like you're going too easy, if after half way you're still feeling good then you can press on.
  • My 100-miler is at the end of June. I went out in the bike this Tuesday, 6.5 miles each way, for the first time in nine months (I was off the bike due to a serious injury that is about as healed as it's going to get). Despite turbo trainers and static bikes over the winter, those 13 miles were HARD.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    Managed 66.8 miles last week with a 22 mile, 13 mile and 31 mile ride, so far this week managed a 32 mile ride. But is this to far to soon?? Looking to get a 40 mile ride in next couple of days
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    rob39 wrote:
    Managed 66.8 miles last week with a 22 mile, 13 mile and 31 mile ride, so far this week managed a 32 mile ride. But is this to far to soon?? Looking to get a 40 mile ride in next couple of days

No, wouldn't say so. The body recovers pretty well from cycling generally. If you're feeling ok then keep at it.

It is said that if you can do 100 miles in a week then you can do a 100 mile ride so you're probably not too far off if you keep going the way you are.

I did my first century of this year having previously only done 60 in one go in 2016 but I had managed to get 100 mile weeks in a few times beforehand.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Keep trying to add on 20 miles at a time imo.

when i first got a road bike i went from struggling to work and back 10 miles each way to then doing 20 in one go, then 30, then 44 and following week knocked out 85 miles. that day i was on form and could have done 100 i reckon but a lad we were with hit the wall around 50 so we stopped.

this year i have been putting in a fair bit of milage for me, my biggest ride of 77miles two weeks ago saw me on my arse from 40 as the others i was with went off too hard for me and i really struggled to finish.
    The bank holiday Monday this week, i went away with the family to the coast and took my bike. cycled 102 miles home into a brutal 19+ mph headwind the whole way, south to north and tried to keep it to 15mph.
    i got to 70 miles and started struggling but kept going - will power is the main thing here, if you believe you will fail - you will.
    done it in 7h2m at an average 14.5mph with 5800odd ft of climbing, which is not fast by any means but it was my first century ride and i was happy with that!
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    target going 80 miles fairly hard. I do one 80 miler every week, give or take and some are very hard others less so. 3-4 weeks to go add 10 -20 miles on.

on the day use a means to help you from blowing up (HR zones or power if available) and eat properly and drink properly. make sure you have the right gearing for the course (spinning is winning). before Liege 2014 my longest ride was 120 miles and liege is 173. I just made it round. never again....