best tools / kit to use to train indoors for <£1k ?

TomNeilson
TomNeilson Posts: 5
As title says - i'm looking to get some tech/ kit to help me train indoors, ideally with < £1k budget.
in terms of tech at my disposal, I have a bike and a PC laptop, and i'm a droid user.

What would you guys suggest?

Thanks
Tom

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Decent turbo - you don't need bells and whistles - just one thats relatively quiet.

Subscription to Trainerroad and a USB stick.

Sorted.

Oh and a fan or two !
  • Indoor trainer like a Cycleops Fluid 2 or Kurt Kinetic, 4iiii power meter, ANT+ USB stick and a Trainerroad subscription.

The power meter is optional as you can use virtual power with Trainerroad. They have power profiles for all popular trainers. These give you approximate power output.
  • rocket1
    rocket1 Posts: 76
    Tacx smart trainer with multi player and Tacxtours .com.
    Racing against other cyclists great turbo session and certainly not boring .
    Cheers Ronnie
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Zwift and a good turbo trainer. Tacx Neo and Wahoo Kickr are both excellent. Use the change to buy a good fan from Argos.
  • Bullet1
    Bullet1 Posts: 161
    Really rate the Wahoo Kickr and fairly quiet too. Personally find TrainerRoad has more training programs workouts etc and also on the iPad/iPhone better allowing a TV/Laptop for DVDs, sport etc.

Having a trainer which measures power beneficial as you know exactly what you should be doing and simplifies by keeping in a single gear.

Fans help and if you're in the house a mat keeps the noise down to an extent and the floor free from sweat!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You can also get a smart trainer for far cheaper than that. About £360 will get you a Tacx Bushido which does everything the likes of the Kickr does, just it's wheel on rather than removing your rear wheel.
  • thanks for the replies guys - some great feedback and food for thought <hattip>
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    a power meter, and a set of rollers with resistance would be my choice - possibly Power2max with Cycleops rollers = about £950. should be good enough up to 4-5min power efforts. whatever you do I would not go with a trainer with built in power when you can have a power meter you can use for outdoor training.

Alternatively get a turbo though I prefer the rollers as for me feels closer to riding on the road and great for developing smooth pedalling. I use Kreitlers, though for above threshold I need to use the windfan resistance unit. Power2max units have been flawless for me.