Bib Shorts Review

james4480
james4480 Posts: 7
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, just wanted to see some other peoples opinions on there favourite and most highly rated bib shorts.

What bib shorts do you most highly recommend for price, comfort, fit etc.?

I am currently on endura FS260-Pro Bibshort II and rate them very well. Both comfortable and reasonably priced!

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    My best pair are currently some Santini Edge. 85 quid on Prendas. They are meant to have their pro level pad and the quality is certainly high.

My only complaint is that the bib is very high at the front so necessitates partial undressing when it comes to "natural breaks".
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Very partial to the DHB aeron range.
  • Fenix wrote:
    Very partial to the DHB aeron range.

It does look awesome
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    The shorts which worked best for me on comfort and fit were the Assos T Fi.13_s5 Bib Shorts. They may still be available as old stock but the s5 series was replaced a while back by the s7 which I don't rate as highly.

Peter
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    The DHB Aeron range has just been updated. The old Aeron redone and a new Aeron Speed introduced.

I'm getting both pairs for review, at least one this week, probably the Aeron not the speed. I'll tell you how good they are shortly.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,876
    My personal faves are some Rapha Lightweight bibs - now first of all these are the first ones I ever ordered, and I would not pay full RRP, but I bagged them for £81 each - still a lot, but if you are in the saddle for 5-6 hours, I think it can be justified.

Other favourites are La Passione classic bibs, approx £60 each I bought them for, and also some Etxeondo Orhi ones, approx £70 each I bought those for.

I used to like Mavic and Santini, but have realised latterly they do not fit me as well as the above, all to do with personal shape of course.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    My favourites are the La Passione's which Daniel B mentions.

I notice that the new DHB Aeron Speed has a higher end Cytech chamois than the LPs, which themselves have an excellent chamois. I'd be quite interested to try the DHBs if I were looking now.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • daniel_b
    The DHB Aeron range has just been updated. The old Aeron redone and a new Aeron Speed introduced.

I'm getting both pairs for review, at least one this week, probably the Aeron not the speed. I'll tell you how good they are shortly.

As per Englanders post, I too would be mostly interested in the review of the Aeron Speed when you lay your hands on them.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bendertherobot
    Won't be long. Parcel should be here on Monday, I think I'm getting the Aeron and Aeron jersey (and socks), then the Aeron Speed, and Speed jersey next. Though they may all be in there together.

I've had a pair of Aerons for years. The original weren't sexy but they worked and the pad was good. It looks like the update is substantial and the pictures make them look very very good indeed.

The ONLY problem is the weather. I mean, it's going to be quite hard to be definitive on the jerseys. Shorts a lot easier.
  • My "collection" includes:

A few pairs of DHB.....great value for money with good form/function.
    Rapha Classic bibs.....great all round, but expensive. Love the pad, fit, soft touch and style.
    Castelli Nanoflex.......perfect winter bib. I think I paid around £70/80 and they are perfect for colder conditions.

I've bought a jacket from Gore and from what I've seen their bibs look good too.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Had 2 pairs of Etxeondo Dicolors that have been nice.
    My Assos 3/4s are superb (green pad variant).
    Considering RedWhite for my next pair as LaPasiione seem to have a long inside leg for my short proprtions which rules them out.
    Thought about the new Rapha Cores or Assos Neo Pros but are both £100 so the RedWhites have 15% off at AlwaysRiding so are a great deal at the moment.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Won't be long. Parcel should be here on Monday, I think I'm getting the Aeron and Aeron jersey (and socks), then the Aeron Speed, and Speed jersey next. Though they may all be in there together.

I've had a pair of Aerons for years. The original weren't sexy but they worked and the pad was good. It looks like the update is substantial and the pictures make them look very very good indeed.

The ONLY problem is the weather. I mean, it's going to be quite hard to be definitive on the jerseys. Shorts a lot easier.

A jersey is a jersey. the main thing is the quality, the fit and design of pockets etc. That can all be assessed off the bike, IMO.
  • bendertherobot
    It can. But I think it's worth talking about some element of wicking etc. Some can be a little warmer than others. Though I'd imagine these will be fine in all but the most dubai of conditions.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    robbo2011 wrote:

A jersey is a jersey. the main thing is the quality, the fit and design of pockets etc. That can all be assessed off the bike, IMO.

How can the fit of a jersey be assessed off the bike?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    MrB123 wrote:
    My best pair are currently some Santini Edge. 85 quid on Prendas. They are meant to have their pro level pad and the quality is certainly high.

My only complaint is that the bib is very high at the front so necessitates partial undressing when it comes to "natural breaks".

Yepp, exactly mirrors my thoughts on the Santini Edge: really lovely quality feel to them and an excellent pad...it's just that blinking high front that stops me wearing them on longer rides, preferring the Castelli FAR/BP shorts instead because they have all the plus points but have a low cut front which is perfect when stood by the side of a hedge!
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    MrB123 wrote:

Those Edge shorts, is the hem around the braces sewn on or bonded? And what about the pad sewn in or bonded?
  • bendertherobot
    PTestTeam wrote:
    robbo2011 wrote:

Indeed. I can assess some rather lovely bibtights I've received today. And some gloves. Ones with a very long wrist and nice fleecy lining ;)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    earth wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

Those Edge shorts, is the hem around the braces sewn on or bonded? And what about the pad sewn in or bonded?

The braces hem and pad in mine are sewn, not bonded (as I said when you asked me the same question in a thread last year!)
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    MrB123 wrote:
    earth wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

The braces hem and pad in mine are sewn, not bonded (as I said when you asked me the same question in a thread last year!)

:lol: Still haven't got round to buying some new ones. But I've decided now at least.

EDIT - I lost the key to my wallet.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    PTestTeam wrote:
    robbo2011 wrote:

Oh, come on. It is really easy to see how a summer jersey fits without getting on a bike. All you need to do is to crouch over and hold your arms out in a more or less cycling position, Assos man style, to see how it is going to fit. You guys are over thinking it. it is a summer jersey, not a highly technical pair of bibs or a jacket.

Edit, here ya go. Just don't do it in public ;)

bb2a46d083a0cb0d5ffe06638794fed8.jpg
  • bendertherobot
    I love Assos man. I reckon I could take him mind. All the gear and all that......
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Assos T.equipe_s7 have probably been my best clothing purchase, alongside well fitting shoes and my castelli alpha jersey. I was reluctant to spend so much (even with them being on sale) but if I tore them I'd buy another pair without question. FWIW the others I've worn are the really cheap DHB ones which were my first pair, DHB Aeron and Castelli Aero Race.
    My only minor gripe would be that they could be a bit tighter around my legs, I'm slim but had to get XL as I'm 6'4 and they ride up a little. On the plus side, I don't have tan lines showing when I wear shorts in every day life. I appreciate that could be a big negative for people who like to show off that kind of thing though...
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    PTestTeam wrote:
    robbo2011 wrote:

Indeed. I can assess some rather lovely bibtights I've received today. And some gloves. Ones with a very long wrist and nice fleecy lining ;)

Nice
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Another vote for the Assos Equipe S7's here
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    I tried on the S7 equipe. Very nice pair of bibs but the front was a little low. Went for some S5 Milie. They are really nice. A lot better than my Fs260 pros.
    D
  • daniel_b
    I have tried both Assos S5's and S7's and didn't get on with either, cut wise in one, and pad shape in the other (I forget which way around now) - obviously down to personal shape, so not knocking the product, the quality of the fabric was easily apparent.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Daniel B wrote:
    I have tried both Assos S5's and S7's and didn't get on with either, cut wise in one, and pad shape in the other (I forget which way around now) - obviously down to personal shape, so not knocking the product, the quality of the fabric was easily apparent.

The S7's definitely felt a bit different at first, coming from Castelli Aero Race. I find the kuku penthouse or whatever they call it to hold your junk forward instead of jammed to the side makes a lot of difference in comfort. It does look a bit like a big nappy though.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    27 cold miles in the new FS260 Pro SL from Endura. Very pleased and loving the performance fit and shape. Pad excellent, needs a fair old dollop of chamois cream but cool bibs for sure as not nappy like in anyway.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    What are people opinions on the Castelli endurance x2 and the free aero race? Are the aero worth the extra £30?

The last few rides i have done were in BBB bibs, the pad is quite thin and soft, they are almost 2 years old and between the 2 pairs of them i have i have done approx 4000 miles in them.

I have used a different bike this week with a different saddle and now have an additional 5 small sores!

It could well be just the bike, done two rides of 12-13 miles but i am at my wits end with damn sores so thinking about buying a decent pair in the morning as we are supposed to be doing a decent ride tomorrow, but i will use the other bike.

Up until this last 2 weeks i have been wearing DHB ASV roubaix tights and only had the one sore.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • bendertherobot
    Fudgey wrote:
    What are people opinions on the Castelli endurance x2 and the free aero race? Are the aero worth the extra £30?

The last few rides i have done were in BBB bibs, the pad is quite thin and soft, they are almost 2 years old and between the 2 pairs of them i have i have done approx 4000 miles in them.

I have used a different bike this week with a different saddle and now have an additional 5 small sores!

It could well be just the bike, done two rides of 12-13 miles but i am at my wits end with damn sores so thinking about buying a decent pair in the morning as we are supposed to be doing a decent ride tomorrow, but i will use the other bike.

Up until this last 2 weeks i have been wearing DHB ASV roubaix tights and only had the one sore.

Possibly/probably not. Both share the excellent X2 pad so it's about aesthetics and a few other bits. The endurance look nice. But I'd be looking at your saddle first, sounds like that's the thing that's causing your issues. And if it causes sores it may also cause damage to shorts so before you invest get that sorted.