3-3.5k budget

Briggo
Briggo Posts: 3,537
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Time to upgrade the Canyon nerve Al+, its a good bike climbs well despite its 150mm travel but I fancy something new.

Riding, well I live in 'oodersfield so plenty of gnarly stuff on the doorstep or peaks and so on close by and often do the Lakes/Wales. However I am a light rider at 11 stone so I always think I can easily get away with less.

I'd rather get carbon as I love it, got a carbon HT.

On the radar -

Whyte T130 C RS

http://whyte.bike/gb/t-130-c-rs/

Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 1

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant ... oCpRDw_wcB

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp

http://mobile.wheelies.co.uk/specialize ... ke/p79156/

Santa Cruz Bronson 2 R AM

http://www.bike-treks.co.uk/1072331/pro ... oCfKzw_wcB

The Bronson sounds awesome but not sure about spending all that dollar for a sektor fork.

Value wise the Trance seems to win by some way.

I had a Stumpy FSR 2010 model before and loved it, which had 130mm and seemed sufficient which leads me on to the Whyte.

I'm just a lost and confused bunny in headlights, what are folks views.

Comments

• Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    I really like the Trance too and it seems well equipt for its price point :)

Out of curiosity, would you not consider another Canyon?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Whyte, all day long. The RS Carbon is incredible value, lifetime warranty on the bearings and though I've yet to ride one they're meant to be immensely good fun.

In typical plug what you ride style, don't discount the Mondraker Foxy either. By far and away the fastest and most capable bike I've ever owned.
  • The Rookie
    The Slide is cheaper than the Whyte by about a 1/3 and certainly not worse specced, all be it that it is 2x11.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Test ride some of the bikes you like. I'd be putting the ibis mojo 3 on the list as well.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The Rookie wrote:

Glad someone else suggested that, I'm turning into a bit of a radon fan boy but they are such great value and well specified. Shame sterling is plummeting....
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How about a Transition Scout? Only short travel rear suspension but extremely capable. Long low and slack geometry means it rides like a much bigger enduro bike but is more fun more of the time and more efficient for epic xc rides. Amazing over jumps as well, it just flies.
    http://www.kbcycleshop.com/bikes/transi ... -bike-2016
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Slide is cheaper than the Whyte by about a 1/3 and certainly not worse specced, all be it that it is 2x11.

Still wouldn't have one, in the same way I wouldn't have a Canyon, YT etc. There is no way I'd consider parting with that kind of cash and have to send it off to Germany if something went wrong. My experiences of those brands is average at best and I've heard some real horror stories with warranty. As far as I'm concerned you can't put a price on good manufacturer/shop back up, it can be hard enough getting something sorted in the UK, let alone in mainland Europe!
  • Briggo
    Tend to agree with Lawman, I want the LBS involved for that dosh.
  • Then look at Rose Bikes, best of both worlds. Uncle Jimbo and Granite Chief in that budget. Killer spec. Spec configurator.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • rockmonkeysc
    Then look at Rose Bikes, best of both worlds. Uncle Jimbo and Granite Chief in that budget. Killer spec. Spec configurator.

German value and UK backup.
    Why can't ze germans make their cars decent value?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I bought a mark 1 budget level Bronson with fox evolution forks and shock - it was ok with the crappy forks - better when I spent more to get a pike and monarch plus - I'd be nosing around the Scout or 5010 type bike if I lived in the UK and had that money to spend.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    Then look at Rose Bikes, best of both worlds. Uncle Jimbo and Granite Chief in that budget. Killer spec. Spec configurator.

They can, just buy them in Germany!
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Bird Aeris for something different?

Otherwise some deals to be had on v1 Bronson and 5010 now.

Scout or 5010 v2 for shorter travel options. If you wait till April then alloy versions of the Bronson and 5010 may be released.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:

They can, just buy them in Germany!

Maybe Mercedes and BMW need to do direct sales.
    VW and Audi can keep selling their over priced, boring cars as they are.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Porsche aside I would say all the German manufacturers have lost touch and declined in quality.

Be hard pushed to beat the likes of Kia for quality and value at the moment.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    Porsche aside I would say all the German manufacturers have lost touch and declined in quality.

Be hard pushed to beat the likes of Kia for quality and value at the moment.

I agree. I had two, quite modern VW Passats and they were the least reliable cars I have had. Every I took them for repair the mechanic would say "common fault, see it a lot on these"
    My Mondeo was much better built and absolutely reliable. If my Jaguar is half as reliable I will be extremely surprised.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Could if you shop around for parts and offers build a nice transition scout for that budget.

I see someone has mentioned rose bikes granite chief, I did remember someone posting on here a while back they had demo bikes now in the uk.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Rose have had UK demo bikes for four or five years. Their UK agent used to be MBUK's technical editor, he's very handy with the spanners and pretty handy on a bike.
    The Scout is a brilliant trail bike. Best I have ever ridden. I had a blast on Triscombe's downhill trails today. Not many trail bikes work that we'll on steep, rocky and gnarly downhill trails.
  • Briggo
    Noticed in the most recent WMB the Slide doesnt get an overly great review.
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    Whyte carbon all the way. I've just bought the t130 cracking bike.
  • They do through a uk rep called Fin whose based Bath way. I need to get a demo for both granite chief and Uncle Jimbo.

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    The rose uncle jimbo with the rock shock monarch debonair pedals like shite, a close friend bought one and tested it, if you can spec it with a fox shock,
    will do that when I find the chance to remove the fox x float from a friends orbea rallon and see how it behaves, most probably saturday. I will give some feedback when done
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Interesting about the RS shock. limited to that bike is it? I've not heard that about that particular shock before - certainly when up against the Fox but any feedback most welcome.

What I'm keen to find out is whether the bigger bike is fairly close in competency, as an all-dayer, to the granite chief?

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    U.J Other than being a deg. slacker on the HA and 10mm more travel than the granite chief, the rest mesurements are identicle, and GC is a bit lighter
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    Interesting about the RS shock. limited to that bike is it? I've not heard that about that particular shock before - certainly when up against the Fox but any feedback most welcome.
    /quote]

I've ridden the bike with a Fox shock and it pedals fine. I've owned two Rockshox Monarch Debonair shocks and although they aren't my favourite (Cane Creek for me) I can't see any reason why it wouldn't pedal as well as with the Fox shock. Reviews also don't mention pedal problems with either shock. Check out reviews on Pinkbike, Enduro magazine and Factory Jackson website.
    Contact them and ask for a demo. Maybe it's a bit sensitive to set up. I know the Rose UK agent used to set up Katy Curd's Rose race bikes so he must be able to set one up right if they do demos.
  • Ta, will do. The granite chief doesn't get the debonair anyway, I think it's just the Jimbo. I want to demo both bikes and plan to stick with RS over Fox front and back unless there's a reason not to at the back.

• rockmonkeysc
    I rode with a mate today whose just got a Granite Chief. Definitely no problems with pedalling. He left me behind on the climbs.
  • That with the Rock Shox or Fox shock?