Insurance value after being knocked off by car

2»

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    apreading wrote:
    On another note - how the hell did you guys cope with all the time off the bike while waiting/in rehabilitation - its doing my head in!!!
    n+1
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I know - I am already planning to replace the bike with two - one for commuting and a nicer one for best. And all the extra time is spent browsing bike bits, cycling holidays etc... Its gonna cost me alot but might actually get me clearance for one more bike from the missus!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You need to make sure you give the missus at least a third of your pay out, then she won't mind what you buy.
  • apreading
    dont worry - I am sure she already has ideas...
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    apreading wrote:
    On another note - how the hell did you guys cope with all the time off the bike while waiting/in rehabilitation - its doing my head in!!!
    I spent my time getting fat and grumpy. By the time my money came in, my wife was so keen to get me back on the bike, she didn't mind me blowing the cash on a new spangly toy...
  • apreading
    Current JC guidelines place fractured clavicle at £4,290 to £10,230 so you should do ok. You'll be looking at a lot more than the entry there after it's all factored in. Frankly, given the level of damages for PSLA, I doubt they'd flinch at the correct valuation for your bike. Impossible to value overall without seeing your medical report but you're right that it's a good reason to stick with your solicitor.

To follow up the rest of the advice, get your LBS to write what they feel is correct ;)

Just had a 'pre-medical offer to settle my injuries claim' of £2K, was advised by my solicitor to reject it. Based on what you said here, I did a fair bit of reading round the web and I am inclined to agree! Slightly surprised they made such a low offer when they know a personal injury lawyer is already involved. As an individual I would have understood them thinking to fob me off as if I didnt know better but would anyone with a lawyer involved ever accept such an offer...?
  • apreading
    Just by way of an update:

Still waiting for an independant medical assessment so the personal injury/medical bills/loss of earnings/travel expenses cant be sorted yet.

But have had an interim offer for the bike/clothing/helmet etc damage and they didnt quibble the full price for the bike but they did deduct 25% for wear and tear on the clothes. This is a bit annoying because although the clothes were 2 years old, the jacket had only been worn half a dozen times at most and not yet needed a wash even(!) and the rest was all 'as new' apart from the gloves which werent bad but obviously have been well used. I am not unhappy though because overall the offer aint bad and better than my solicitor was suggesting!

Have also gained 20 pounds (lbs) over the 3 months since, but am at least out on a bike now and starting to work on losing those! Still having physio though and significant loss to range of movement at the moment and every 10 miles or so I have to stop for a few minutes to stretch my triceps and mobilise the shoulder. Although its a bit stop/start, at least I am now riding!
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    This utterly sucks. I hope you recover as swiftly as possible and get a fair outcome.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    apreading wrote:
    Current JC guidelines place fractured clavicle at £4,290 to £10,230 so you should do ok. You'll be looking at a lot more than the entry there after it's all factored in. Frankly, given the level of damages for PSLA, I doubt they'd flinch at the correct valuation for your bike. Impossible to value overall without seeing your medical report but you're right that it's a good reason to stick with your solicitor.

To follow up the rest of the advice, get your LBS to write what they feel is correct ;)

Just had a 'pre-medical offer to settle my injuries claim' of £2K, was advised by my solicitor to reject it. Based on what you said here, I did a fair bit of reading round the web and I am inclined to agree! Slightly surprised they made such a low offer when they know a personal injury lawyer is already involved. As an individual I would have understood them thinking to fob me off as if I didnt know better but would anyone with a lawyer involved ever accept such an offer...?

Missed this. Yeah, amazing what they think they can get away with!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.