Spinal Fracture - Recovery Time

fossyant
fossyant Posts: 2,549
I was hit by a right turning car back at the end of November 2015 as I was commuting to work on the bike.

Spent 6 1/2 weeks in hospital with an unstable fracture - snapped and crushed the L1 straight through, with a chunk pressing on the spinal canal, T12 fractured and 4 broken ribs (9,10,11,12). We didn't operate as there was a risk I'd not walk again, so opted for bed rest flat on back. The surgery would have fused a number of vertebrae together resulting in loss of height and flexibility.

I've been out since 8th Jan with a TLSO spinal brace but have another 5 weeks in a brace. Xray last week showed healing to the L1 but it's a wedge shape (rather than a square) and the front is half the height of the back of the vertebrae. The disk between the two is also permanently damaged.

The brace has to be used until I get a CT Scan to confirm healing.

Has anyone else had something similar. I'm not allowed to do any exercise at present, although I've got my first physio session tomorrow with the NHS.

I can walk for about 15 minutes before my back gets painful and I need to rest, so that lets me walk to a local cafe, or the pub !!! :lol: I have a Turbo at the ready and a gym membership.

I've been signed off another 10 weeks, so it will be around 6 months off work.

Leigh Day have agreed a case manager with the other party's insurers, so I should get private physio on top of the NHS stuff. They will look into a Personal Trainer to work with the physio to get me fit again.

One thing it does make you realise is how much mobility you lose (6 weeks flat on back in hospital) and how important it is - let's say I won't let myself get like my mother in law.

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    So you've kept your determination and sense of humour, at least as an enabler not to end up like your mother in law ;-) heal well and quickly.

I can't offer a similar experience but rest and not over doing it will mean you get back sooner. Best wishes on your recovery.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Seems like you've made all the right choices so far. Keep at it - and all the very best mate.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Don't think mine was as bad as yours - fractured t11, I'm racing again now, took me 3years to really get back into it but a lot of that was confidence. I'm 5 years in now and doing my first triathlons this year.
    I still get stiffness/aching and have a big hump on my back in the TT position but it's manageable.
    BUT!! Doing triathlon has meant learning to swim and doing swim training. Wish I'd done this years ago as it's made a big difference.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Physio said I can use the turbo, light gym work and go swimming. Wasted no time and popped to the pool and did 20 lengths. That's enough today - stopped before my back got sore. The grannies were lapping me. :shock:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    fossyant wrote:
    Physio said I can use the turbo, light gym work and go swimming. Wasted no time and popped to the pool and did 20 lengths. That's enough today - stopped before my back got sore. The grannies were lapping me. :shock:

Good work :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach