Direct drive turbo trainers

webboo
webboo Posts: 6,087
As I am currently recovering from a ruptured Achilles' tendon I am expecting that I will be using the turbo trainer at first. I have a really old fan/fly one, which has seen a lot of use over the years to the extent the roller has a groove about half an inch deep in it.
Would I be wasting my money buying a fancy direct drive turbo one rather than sticking with the old one and putting up with the noise.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    That would be entirely up to you.
  • webboo
    Ah I never thought of that. :?:
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I changed to a direct drive one last year, an Elite Muin. It is much quiter than the old one, and it holds the bike more securely. The change in resistance as you increase the speed feels much more road like than the old one did too. So I'm glad a swapped.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Webboo wrote:
    Ah I never thought of that. :?:

Well, if noise is an issue for you, then change. If it isn't, and the current turbo remains useful and functional, then keep it. That's why I said it's entirely up to you.
  • Webboo wrote:
    Would I be wasting my money buying a fancy direct drive turbo one rather than sticking with the old one and putting up with the noise.

They aren't all silent. The Tacx Neo pretty much is, but the Wahoo Kickr is certainly not.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Only you can answer whether you'd be wasting your money. The products wouldn't exist and be selling well if others didn't thibnk they were a good idea. I personally love mine, had my kickr for three winters now and it gets l to of use.
  • webboo
    If I was bothered about wasting money I would have given up cycling years ago :D
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I would buy a direct drive trainer if I was in the market for one. I would also buy a quiet one next time. I have a Lemond Revolution which is seriously noisy.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Webboo wrote:
    If I was bothered about wasting money I would have given up cycling years ago :D

Turbo doesn't need to be more unpleasant than it already is. If the noise is bothering you, then go for it with the new one. You'll proably use it more, so won't be wasted dosh.
  • Alex99
    FatTed wrote:
    I would buy a direct drive trainer if I was in the market for one. I would also buy a quiet one next time. I have a Lemond Revolution which is seriously noisy.

The Lemond is a fan job, isn't it?
  • webboo
    I ordered one yesterday, an elite muin. It will at least give something to look forward to rather how look I can put off my next visit to the fridge.
  • Alex99
    Webboo wrote:
    I ordered one yesterday, an elite muin. It will at least give something to look forward to rather how look I can put off my next visit to the fridge.

Can't you sweet talk her (or him) and get it indoors? You'll use it more.
  • webboo
    I usually have a room in the house which has my weights in and my bike on the turbo, however due to having the house on the market. I had to let she who must be obeyed turn it back in to,a lounge. So all my training stuff is in the garage along side the climbing wall.
    Once I'm allowed to walk again it's all back in the house, which was part of the reason for a quieter turbo trainer.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Alex99 wrote:
    FatTed wrote:

The Lemond is a fan job, isn't it?

It is
  • Alex99
    Webboo wrote:
    I usually have a room in the house which has my weights in and my bike on the turbo, however due to having the house on the market. I had to let she who must be obeyed turn it back in to,a lounge. So all my training stuff is in the garage along side the climbing wall.
    Once I'm allowed to walk again it's all back in the house, which was part of the reason for a quieter turbo trainer.

Climbing wall too! Good man.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The Neo is bloody good too, although for the price you would expect no less.