Endura fs260 pro/fs260 pro sl bibs

2»

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Carbonator wrote:
    Mediums are a bit small for me I think. Large ones coming in tomorrow (narrow pad, standard leg, large size).
    Size guide had me at a medium size I think, but I suspected I would be large.

They seem very nice. Look/feel a lot sexier than standard pro's.
    Have a little pocket at the back where shoulder straps meet.

Leg was plenty long enough for me (6'1") so have ruled out long leg at least.

Pad does not look anything special. The Standard pro pad (dimpled red one) seems much more substantial, and similar to my Assos pad.
    This one seems more like a sewn in bit of foam by comparison.

I will definitely keep the size that fits best and try them out though.

Oh, they come in a nice magnetic flap box.
    All padded shorts/tights should come like that lol.

Evans guy was probably just miffed that he had to do a bit of work rather than just scan it.

Sorry, are you saying the Pro SL bibs padding is shonky compared to the cheaper option ? That makes no sense. Mine are due to arrive today, so will take a look. I was hoping for a top quality pad, given its the 700 moniker on the website. I agree with the Assos pads being superb, just wish they had more material at the core.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Pete, I was looking at a pair of Assos F1 Mille S5's in a shop the other day. The Merlin Elite pad is very similar. Quite thick and a a good size. I too would be surprised if the pad in the Endura Pro SL's was inferior to the regular pro but I guess you will soon find out.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The pad is probably fantastic to use and I was not suggesting it was inferior to the standard pro's.
    I have not even sat on a saddle with them yet as waiting for larger size bibs.

It just does not look as technical as the standard pros, and my Assos (which I love) look like a meatier version of those.

Am not sure how you tell how good a pad is by looking at it (other than the really cr4p foam ones).
    Hopefully its super comfy on long rides without being overly bulky.
    The pad feels quality and there would be no point in it being super thick, especially in the narrow variant.
  • Camcycle1974
    Carbonator wrote:
    The pad is probably fantastic to use and I was not suggesting it was inferior to the standard pro's.
    I have not even sat on a saddle with them yet as waiting for larger size bibs.

It just does not look as technical as the standard pros, and my Assos (which I love) look like a meatier version of those.

Am not sure how you tell how good a pad is by looking at it (other than the really cr4p foam ones).
    Hopefully its super comfy on long rides without being overly bulky.
    The pad feels quality and there would be no point in it being super thick, especially in the narrow variant.

Good points. Must suspend judgement until I have actually ridden in them. They do look superior to anything else I have.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Large ones are a much better fit on me than medium, and also seem a better fit than my large standard FS260 Pro's.
    The general quality seems a big step up between the two.

I only had a quick comparison re the pads. My SL's are narrow fit so they are obviously going to be slimmer that the non SL's.
    The pad feels a whole lot more fitted though, and not so 'nappy like'.
    Its not as thick or at all textured, so looking forward to seeing how they perform.

If they are at least as comfortable as the old pad then they are a lovely bib short and well worth the extra over the standard Pro's (which were already a good buy IMO) IMO.
  • bristolpete
    Mine did not arrive today, so likely arrive tomorrow all being well !
  • bristolpete
    Mine did not arrive today, so likely arrive tomorrow all being well !

They arrived. Very impressed with the feel and look, fit a *little snug* :oops: :lol: but thats winter timber and the Xl would be too big and lack support. Liking the gripper and the compression feel on and similar to my old and loved Giordana body clone bibs which were superb back in 10/11. Like the rear of the bibs, the strap and the key pocket.

But, not a massive Assos style pad, so assuming the less is more policy and the smooth chamois should reduce movement and friction. As a 'bib' short impressed, maiden voyage heading home, 15 miler so will comment then.
  • bristolpete
    OK, so first ride thoughts. Very god fit and feel, tighter than my old bibs and more compression which I like. I am probably between sizes but back on the single speed commute so by the end of the month ideal. Steven and the twins sat well in the right place and the pad was good. Deffo a less is more pad and zero stitching etc so no rubbing or friction. They perched well upon my Specialized Power saddle too which is nice and the medium pad matched my bottom and saddle well in fact, best fit to a power saddle I have ridden yet. My days of doing 100 milers are long over at the minute and I would question them at that distance, but up-to 60 miles in Devon I think they will stand up well with good chamois cream.
  • Camcycle1974
    Sounds like they are a good fit, albeit a performance fit. I am a medium in everything (even Castelli fits true to size on me for some reason). I could maybe have gone small on the Merlin bibs, they are not loose but not too tight either so I would guess a medium in the fs260 pro sl's would fit me fine. I was looking at them for a long ride option but maybe they are not ideally suited to that? The Merlin pad is generous and reminded me of the S5 Assos Mille one. Maybe they will be ideal for longer rides. Will soon find out as I am doing a 120 mile sportive next month.
  • bristolpete
    Sounds like they are a good fit, albeit a performance fit. I am a medium in everything (even Castelli fits true to size on me for some reason). I could maybe have gone small on the Merlin bibs, they are not loose but not too tight either so I would guess a medium in the fs260 pro sl's would fit me fine. I was looking at them for a long ride option but maybe they are not ideally suited to that? The Merlin pad is generous and reminded me of the S5 Assos Mille one. Maybe they will be ideal for longer rides. Will soon find out as I am doing a 120 mile sportive next month.

Yeah, there is a massive paradox occurring with the pad, which is the one thing I question. Love the fit and feel, but my eyes cannot deceive me on so much that I was expecting more from the pad looks wise. But, all things being equal, I have an odd suspicion that they will stand up well if the pro / movistar feedback is correct. 60 miles across Dartmoor more than enough here. As a seasoned rodie I think yes, the Assos are the better long mileage option at the minute and I too will buy a pair of the Merlin bibs.
  • Camcycle1974
    Thanks for the feed back. I think the Merlins could be a good option for a cheap, all round short. If they are as comfortable as they look I'll get another pair. Did a flat 40 mile ride in under 2 hours earlier, I very much doubt I could do that around your way. The enemy here is the wind which thankfully was not strong today.
  • bristolpete
    Given I wore them for only one voyage last night, I rode in them again today and really like them. Very athletic cut, enhancing form and tone in the legs and very happy with them and they suit my power saddle a treat. To my mind, they are a carbon copy of my old Giordana Bodyclone shorts but with better straps.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=giord ... 66&bih=633

Looking forward to some decent miles and getting the pins out once the sun comes around. Going to get a second set for sure at the end of the month I think as needed though putting the Merlin elite bibs on my birthday list as one to show, one to go, one in the wash.
  • bristolpete
    update on these. Grippers are falling apart after two months. Endura text has all but gone on the outside of the leg. Rubbish life span for £100 bibs. Assos last three years !
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    disapointing
  • bristolpete
    disapointing

Yep. First and last purchase on these. Shame as the overall short is good, but shocked at the lifespan and contemplating emailing Endura, but that's not my usual modus operandi. They wont last the summer gripper wise.