Endura fs260 pro/fs260 pro sl bibs

Camcycle1974
Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Done a search which didn't yield any info on the merits of the new FS260 Pro SL bibs over and above the regular FS260 Pro. Has anyone used both and is able to comment on whether the upgrade is worth it? Only £30 difference but it would be nice to know. Any other bibs to consider around the £100 mark?

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Done a search which didn't yield any info on the merits of the new FS260 Pro SL bibs over and above the regular FS260 Pro. Has anyone used both and is able to comment on whether the upgrade is worth it? Only £30 difference but it would be nice to know. Any other bibs to consider around the £100 mark?

Better quality of pad, more longevity in the comfort north of 60 miles, better compression and a choice of pads to suit saddle width - also available in a longer leg length. Not yet read a bad review of the SL's and seem great VFM compared to the Rapha and Assos alternatives. Castelli another option maybe ?
  • Done a search which didn't yield any info on the merits of the new FS260 Pro SL bibs over and above the regular FS260 Pro. Has anyone used both and is able to comment on whether the upgrade is worth it? Only £30 difference but it would be nice to know. Any other bibs to consider around the £100 mark?

Better quality of pad, more longevity in the comfort north of 60 miles, better compression and a choice of pads to suit saddle width - also available in a longer leg length. Not yet read a bad review of the SL's and seem great VFM compared to the Rapha and Assos alternatives. Castelli another option maybe ?

Thanks Pete. They do sound a bit of an upgrade to be honest. Looking for a more long distance type short. Ride mainly 40-50 mile rides but longer on occasion and have found my current shorts lacking in that area. The custom aspect is nice except it gives more choice. Not always a good thing! Would have to go and get them fitted for the complete experience.

The other main contender is the Castelli endurance short which has the better pad and is similar money. I guess it comes down to fit and brand preference. Have a Gabba 2 jersey so maybe the Castellis would be the best option.
  • bristolpete
    I tend to see it like this -

Altura > Endura / Sportful > Castelli > Assos / Rapha, dependant on budget, withstanding lesser known brands.

I aim to get a pair of the Pro SL at the end of March, just waiting for the weather to change and update 2/3 seasons of kit. Having done my research they seem to be the ones awaiting my dosh....
  • I tend to see it like this -

Altura > Endura / Sportful > Castelli > Assos / Rapha, dependant on budget, withstanding lesser known brands.

I aim to get a pair of the Pro SL at the end of March, just waiting for the weather to change and update 2/3 seasons of kit. Having done my research they seem to be the ones awaiting my dosh....

I may well be joining you. Just read a review of the Endurance which says that despite the name they are only comfortable up to about 60 miles and that the pad is a bit thin. The difference being that the SL is Endura's top range (except for Equipe? whereas the Endurance are mid range Castelli. I will try both through Evans but a bit difficult to tell without riding them. Sizing may decide it for me. Tried a Castelli Nano pair and they were fine in large. Endura probably more medium.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    ..... Ride mainly 40-50 mile rides but longer on occasion and have found my current shorts lacking in that area....
    There's your issue - your butt is accustomed to 40-50 mile rides and so gets a bit uncomfortable after that. Ride longer more often and you'd likely be fine. Oh and make sure you ride out of the saddle every few miles to let the pressure off :D

Seriously, the Assos S7 Cento shorts are the best I've ever tried by a margin and I've tried a lot of shorts over the years - not cheap but the comfort is priceless
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    ..... Ride mainly 40-50 mile rides but longer on occasion and have found my current shorts lacking in that area....
    There's your issue - your butt is accustomed to 40-50 mile rides and so gets a bit uncomfortable after that. Ride longer more often and you'd likely be fine. Oh and make sure you ride out of the saddle every few miles to let the pressure off :D

Seriously, the Assos S7 Cento shorts are the best I've ever tried by a margin and I've tried a lot of shorts over the years - not cheap but the comfort is priceless

Done plenty of 100+ rides in the past but had time off last year due to injury so gradually upping the mileage. Doing a 70 on Sunday so a decent pad would come in handy. I have had a look at Assos and like the look of the Cento Uno S5. Not sure about the floating pad in the S7 range, otherwise the Tneo Pro's would also be a possibility. No experience of Assos, they seem to polarise opinion, some saying there's nothing better, others saying they're awful and not worth the money.
  • Anyone tried the Merlin Elite bibs? My extensive research unearthed these https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-wea ... 8605.html# and they look very good indeed.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    I bought the Pro first and found them to be more comfortable than my Castelli Free Aero, and when (castelli) they wore out (terrible quality), I bought the SL as replacements. Really comfy, lycra is great but they still dont beat Rapha for long day in saddle!
  • antlaff wrote:
    I bought the Pro first and found them to be more comfortable than my Castelli Free Aero, and when (castelli) they wore out (terrible quality), I bought the SL as replacements. Really comfy, lycra is great but they still dont beat Rapha for long day in saddle!

Rapha Classics or Pro?
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    antlaff wrote:

Rapha Classics or Pro?

Classics.....but bought proteam winter shorts recently. Exceptional fit but haven't used over 70 miles as yet.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Any other bibs to consider around the £100 mark?

Do your butt a favour:
    http://www.lapassione.cc/collections/ro ... 1211249109

Great product and service, I have 2 pairs. For me they are extremely comfortable. Do a search, there is a long thread about them.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    So in order to determine pad width for the Endura shorts is it just a case of measuring one's saddle or is it better/necessary to somehow measure sit bone widths?
  • Andcp wrote:
    Any other bibs to consider around the £100 mark?

Do your butt a favour:
    http://www.lapassione.cc/collections/ro ... 1211249109

Great product and service, I have 2 pairs. For me they are extremely comfortable. Do a search, there is a long thread about them.

I read that as part of my research. Things that put me off about Passione. Ordering from Italy is probably fine but returns or any issues will be hard to sort. £82 currently which is more than people were buying them for in the thread. Also some people mentioning durability issues although that was a minority.

I have ordered a pair of the new Merlin Elite bibs for £44.99 currently. Should get them tomorrow or Monday so I'll report back. I have managed so far on a pair of Altura Progels for rides in excess of 100 miles and one 150 mile day so I expect most things to be more comfortable compared to what I have. If the Merlin ones turn out to be only short distance shorts then I'll most likely get a pair of the Endura fs260 pros. Not one bad review from 45 of the Merlins so I hope they are good!
  • bristolpete
    New Rapha core bibs look good VFM, but they sizes are usual Rapha assumption on leg length / size.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I've the Pro SL in the narrow pad width as I ride an Arione, no comparison with the fs260pro, different class altogether.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    MrB123 wrote:
    So in order to determine pad width for the Endura shorts is it just a case of measuring one's saddle or is it better/necessary to somehow measure sit bone widths?

There's a chart on Endura's website or on the short's packaging naming all the popular saddles/pad width.
  • Cheers Elfed. I'll have a look into the Pro Sl's if and when Evans get their act together and get some in.
  • bristolpete
    So, after logging 100 winter miles last week, I decided that new bibs were essential now as my bottom was a bit fragile given I only have Specialized race bibs and minimal padding and looking pretty tired kit wise. Ordered the SL's this morning in 'normal leg / medium pad' which are due on Wednesday. Will update as and when. if they become my go to bibs I suspect I will end up with three pairs as the Italian stuff simply makes no sense fit wise and the Rapha stuff too long in the leg and Assos needs more material at the stomach / core area in my humble opinion.
  • Please let me know how they are when you get them. The spendthrift in me decided to go for the cheaper Merlin option which came today and are waiting at home. Will report back when I get to try them.
  • bristolpete
    Please let me know how they are when you get them. The spendthrift in me decided to go for the cheaper Merlin option which came today and are waiting at home. Will report back when I get to try them.

Will do. Maiden voyage Thursday all being well. 16 mile commute so I will put em to work straight away.
  • Camcycle1974
    First impression of the Merlin bibs is excellent. High quality lycra, double stitched seams and the pad looks excellent. Cytech Elastic Interface so it's high quality. M fit me fine so they also fit true to size unlike Castelli et al.Riding Thursday so we'll see if they live up to it on the bike.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cheers Elfed. I'll have a look into the Pro Sl's if and when Evans get their act together and get some in.

Or you could get your act together and just order them in :wink:
    I would not expect Evans to necessarily start stocking them in stores. You could have a long wait.

I ordered mine yesterday (and will probably be in today).
    I was originally a bit put off by feeling I would not know which width to get, but then realized you probably just match it to your saddle width.

I quite like the normal pros for most rides and was originally going to get another pair of Assos for best/long rides, but with the improved pads, hopefully better fitting semi custom pad, smoother seams and Cold Black fabric, these just had to be tried first IMO.
  • bristolpete
    First impression of the Merlin bibs is excellent. High quality lycra, double stitched seams and the pad looks excellent. Cytech Elastic Interface so it's high quality. M fit me fine so they also fit true to size unlike Castelli et al.Riding Thursday so we'll see if they live up to it on the bike.

That is good to hear. I spend a little bit with Merlin each year, so be happy to be a mobile billboard on the bike :mrgreen: And the colours match my Evo :roll: :shock: :mrgreen:
  • Camcycle1974
    Logos are very subtle, certainly less shouty than Castelli gear. With a jersey on top all you see is plain black lycra.
  • Camcycle1974
    Carbonator wrote:
    Cheers Elfed. I'll have a look into the Pro Sl's if and when Evans get their act together and get some in.

I would not expect Evans to necessarily start stocking them in stores. You could have a long wait.

I was originally a bit put off by feeling I would not know which width to get, but then realized you probably just match it to your saddle width.

I quite like the normal pros for most rides and was originally going to get another pair of Assos for best/long rides, but with the improved pads, hopefully better fitting semi custom pad, smoother seams and Cold Black fabric, these just had to be tried first IMO.

I could indeed as I did with the Gabba I have just bought from them. I don't think they enjoyed price matching it much as they were already discounted in Evans. Ordered and received a pair of the Merlin Elite bibs for now. Hopefully my a**e is now covered for a while as the quality seems excellent and better than the normal pros I did look at in the shop.
  • bristolpete
    Logos are very subtle, certainly less shouty than Castelli gear. With a jersey on top all you see is plain black lycra.

Ah cool, I think they also do a team kit with logo on the quads...
  • Camcycle1974

Ah cool, I think they also do a team kit with logo on the quads...

Yes, the team stuff is a bit OTT.
  • Anonymous
    Carbonator wrote:

I could indeed as I did with the Gabba I have just bought from them. I don't think they enjoyed price matching it much as they were already discounted in Evans. Ordered and received a pair of the Merlin Elite bibs for now. Hopefully my a**e is now covered for a while as the quality seems excellent and better than the normal pros I did look at in the shop.

The normal pros are a bit shabby apart from the pad, but still good value.
    Its the pad you are paying for mainly.

My SL's are in so I am off to get them now :P

What did the staff say/do that made you think they were unhappy with price matching?
    IME they don't give a monkeys as long as its a legit price match.
  • Camcycle1974
    Hope they fit well, would like to know how the pad is in comparison to the FS260 pro.

He didn't do or say anything in particular, just the impression that I got. Wiggle £140, Evans £111, Probikekit £88. Bit of a range there. As you say that is their policy so they can't complain really, it gets them business they wouldn't have otherwise had.
  • Anonymous
    Mediums are a bit small for me I think. Large ones coming in tomorrow (narrow pad, standard leg, large size).
    Size guide had me at a medium size I think, but I suspected I would be large.

They seem very nice. Look/feel a lot sexier than standard pro's.
    Have a little pocket at the back where shoulder straps meet.

Leg was plenty long enough for me (6'1") so have ruled out long leg at least.

Pad does not look anything special. The Standard pro pad (dimpled red one) seems much more substantial, and similar to my Assos pad.
    This one seems more like a sewn in bit of foam by comparison.

I will definitely keep the size that fits best and try them out though.

Oh, they come in a nice magnetic flap box.
    All padded shorts/tights should come like that lol.

Evans guy was probably just miffed that he had to do a bit of work rather than just scan it.