Poll : EU

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited May 2016 in The cake stop
2 votes each!!

Comments

• a staggering 37.5% are definitely in or our but don't think they know what they are talking about
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    which means an even more staggering 62.5% are wrong. "in" and "out" of Europe are both such nebulous idioms as to be a real life rashomon effect.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • RideOnTime
    I didn't know that Dua Lipa was from Romania. I do now. We should stay.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I'd like to stay in europe, please, don't make me go to britain :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Being cyclists we are worried about Brexited Brits being banned from cycling on France's cols.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    team47b wrote:
    Actually that's also a good reason for a lot if us to vote "in' :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • team47b
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    team47b wrote:

I'm glad you got the full gist of my argument :D
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    team47b wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Do you get a vote in the real poll?
  • team47b
    orraloon wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Do you get a vote in the real poll?

Yep.

I can't quite get my head around my Portuguese residency status rules but I can see that my status/entitlement to 'roam' could be affected by the uk leaving the eu.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I actually voted for the 'Just about in but not convinced' option and that reflects my thinking at the moment.
    Don't get me wrong, I think the EU is a crock of shite in many ways, but we are in too deep to extricate ourselves from the mire. We have been sold a pup when the Common Market morphed into the EU.
    It has taken Cameron and the EU how long to agree very little really and bearing in mind that it takes Brussels 12 months to get to grips with imposing any trade tariff on Chinese steel, the withdrawal process would be tortuous.
    To my mind we are in an organisation that we don't really want to belong to but the withdrawal period could be worse. What a choice!!
    The concessions that 'Closer political union' won't apply to UK and that the Euro won't be foisted upon us is just enough to persuade me that the medicine would be worse than the disease.
    If we vote to remain,I would hope that other members of the EU would look at Britain's actions and realise that one size does not fit all and strive for a looser arrangement than we have now.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I actually voted for the 'Just about in but not convinced' option and that reflects my thinking at the moment.
    Don't get me wrong, I think the EU is a crock of shite in many ways, but we are in too deep to extricate ourselves from the mire. We have been sold a pup when the Common Market morphed into the EU.
    It has taken Cameron and the EU how long to agree very little really and bearing in mind that it takes Brussels 12 months to get to grips with imposing any trade tariff on Chinese steel, the withdrawal process would be tortuous.
    To my mind we are in an organisation that we don't really want to belong to but the withdrawal period could be worse. What a choice!!
    The concessions that 'Closer political union' won't apply to UK and that the Euro won't be foisted upon us is just enough to persuade me that the medicine would be worse than the disease.
    If we vote to remain,I would hope that other members of the EU would look at Britain's actions and realise that one size does not fit all and strive for a looser arrangement than we have now.

Remarkably perhaps, I agree with you on the crock of sh1te in many ways but the leave medicine being worse than the disease. Never thought the EU was a wonderful thing.

But cutting ourselves loose voluntarily from our own global trade bloc then trekking round cap in hand to the Japanese, Chinese, 'Mericuns, Indians, etc etc... What you got to offer? Eh, not a lot really. Right, trousers down... would be just bizarre. See my nose there, I'm having that off for damn sure.

Anyway, I'm off to watch some (notional) Europeans give some (notional) Englanders a bit of a lesson in the art of football. Dem bleeping Spaniards Messi, Suarez, Neymar...
  • RideOnTime
    orraloon wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Remarkably perhaps, I agree with you on the crock of sh1te in many ways but the leave medicine being worse than the disease. Never thought the EU was a wonderful thing.

But cutting ourselves loose voluntarily from our own global trade bloc then trekking round cap in hand to the Japanese, Chinese, 'Mericuns, Indians, etc etc... What you got to offer? Eh, not a lot really. Right, trousers down... would be just bizarre. See my nose there, I'm having that off for damn sure.

Anyway, I'm off to watch some (notional) Europeans give some (notional) Englanders a bit of a lesson in the art of football. Dem bleeping Spaniards Messi, Suarez, Neymar...

Yep, as I say Dua Lipa is from Romania. What more do you need. We should stay.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    gut feeling and limited knowledge is to remain in. Need to do some serious reading over the coming weeks. Essentially it is better the devil you know, pulling out could make a hell of a mess.

Yours
    Ignorant
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • RideOnTime
    Sorry bit off topic, have you seen Oisin Taylor's lawyer is Paul Daniels as if he didn't have enough on his plate...

Jeremy Clarkson has issued a formal apology to the Irish Top Gear producer he punched in a deal to settle a racial discrimination and personal injury claim against him.

Oisin Tymon launched the action against Clarkson and the BBC after the presenter gave him a bloody lip in a bust-up last March.

Clarkson reportedly flew into a rage after being told he could not order steak after a day of filming, calling Mr Tymon a "lazy, Irish ****" during the fracas at a North Yorkshire hotel.

In an apology issued through Mr Tymon's law firm, Slater and Gordon Lawyers, Clarkson said: "I would like to say sorry, once again, to Oisin Tymon for the incident and its regrettable aftermath.

"I want to reiterate that none of this was in any way his fault.

"I would also like to make it clear that the abuse he has suffered since the incident is unwarranted and I am sorry too that he has had to go through that.

"I am pleased that this matter is now resolved. Oisin was always a creatively exciting part of Top Gear and I wish him every success with his future projects."

No details of the settlement were given, but it is understood to be more than £100,000. Clarkson and the BBC both contributed.

The settlement means there will not be an employment tribunal hearing, which could have heaped further embarrassment on the popular presenter.

The BBC sacked Clarkson, 55, from Top Gear following the bust-up, prompting his co-presenters James May and Richard Hammond to quit the show.

Clarkson had reportedly tried to apologise to Mr Tymon in the past and last June he tweeted that he was "so sad and sorry it's ended like this" after his last Top Gear show with Hammond and May was screened.

Mr Tymon's lawyer, Paul Daniels, said: "The action involving Mr Tymon has been concluded. Oisin is keen to put the matter behind him now that it has been brought to a close.

"Oisin greatly appreciates all of the support he has received, including from the BBC. He remains focused on the creative work he loves at the BBC."

A BBC spokesman said: "Oisin is a valued member of the BBC who behaved with huge integrity in dealing with the very difficult circumstances last year - a situation in which, as (BBC director-general) Tony Hall has stated, he was completely blameless.

"We are pleased that matters have now been resolved. Oisin has made an important contribution to the BBC in his 12 years with us and we hope to see him continue to realise his potential in his role as a development executive.

"We believe Oisin has a very exciting future at the BBC."

Clarkson, May and Hammond have signed up to launch a rival show on Amazon's TV service, while Chris Evans is filming a new series of the BBC's Top Gear show with fellow presenters including Matt LeBlanc and Eddie Jordan.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Sorry bit off topic, have you seen Oisin Taylor's lawyer is Paul Daniels as if he didn't have enough on his plate...

Jeremy Clarkson has issued a formal apology to the Irish Top Gear producer he punched in a deal to settle a racial discrimination and personal injury claim against him.

Oisin Tymon launched the action against Clarkson and the BBC after the presenter gave him a bloody lip in a bust-up last March.

Clarkson reportedly flew into a rage after being told he could not order steak after a day of filming, calling Mr Tymon a "lazy, Irish ****" during the fracas at a North Yorkshire hotel.

In an apology issued through Mr Tymon's law firm, Slater and Gordon Lawyers, Clarkson said: "I would like to say sorry, once again, to Oisin Tymon for the incident and its regrettable aftermath.

"I would also like to make it clear that the abuse he has suffered since the incident is unwarranted and I am sorry too that he has had to go through that.

"I am pleased that this matter is now resolved. Oisin was always a creatively exciting part of Top Gear and I wish him every success with his future projects."

No details of the settlement were given, but it is understood to be more than £100,000. Clarkson and the BBC both contributed.

The settlement means there will not be an employment tribunal hearing, which could have heaped further embarrassment on the popular presenter.

The BBC sacked Clarkson, 55, from Top Gear following the bust-up, prompting his co-presenters James May and Richard Hammond to quit the show.

Clarkson had reportedly tried to apologise to Mr Tymon in the past and last June he tweeted that he was "so sad and sorry it's ended like this" after his last Top Gear show with Hammond and May was screened.

Mr Tymon's lawyer, Paul Daniels, said: "The action involving Mr Tymon has been concluded. Oisin is keen to put the matter behind him now that it has been brought to a close.

"Oisin greatly appreciates all of the support he has received, including from the BBC. He remains focused on the creative work he loves at the BBC."

A BBC spokesman said: "Oisin is a valued member of the BBC who behaved with huge integrity in dealing with the very difficult circumstances last year - a situation in which, as (BBC director-general) Tony Hall has stated, he was completely blameless.

"We are pleased that matters have now been resolved. Oisin has made an important contribution to the BBC in his 12 years with us and we hope to see him continue to realise his potential in his role as a development executive.

Clarkson, May and Hammond have signed up to launch a rival show on Amazon's TV service, while Chris Evans is filming a new series of the BBC's Top Gear show with fellow presenters including Matt LeBlanc and Eddie Jordan.

Having read all that shite, which way are they going to vote?
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Having read all that shite, which way are they going to vote?

"a bit off topic" - I really don't get the link between this thread and what you just posted
  • RideOnTime
    Clarkson's an Out
    Le Blanc is an In
    May is he married to Teresa?
    Hammond who cares
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Clarkson's an Out
    Le Blanc is an In
    Hammond who cares

Given that tenuous link, why not post a complete transcript of the Adam Johnson trial on the grounds that if he walks then he will get a vote too?*

*err, rhetorical question, I think you have posted enough guff already :wink:
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    Out. The 'In' camp would have us believe the UK cannot survive outside the EU.
    Of course, the UK was such a backwater before entry into the EEC.....
    Worlds biggest empire, worlds workshop, birthplace of industry, held our ground in two major world wars, THE cultural reference point for many many years - music, film, literature... And Marmite, Real Ale and Benny Hill.
    Oh yeah, the UK would sink if it weren't for the EU! :-))))))))) NOT!
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • RideOnTime
    ukiboy wrote:
    Worlds biggest empire, worlds workshop, birthplace of industry, held our ground in two major world wars, THE cultural reference point for many many years - music, film, literature... And Marmite, Real Ale and Benny Hill.

Benny Hill is he alive. A true citizen of Europe if ever there was one... derderllderll derderllderll derderllderll derderllderll etc
  • RideOnTime
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Clarkson's an Out
    Le Blanc is an In
    Hammond who cares

Given that tenuous link, why not post a complete transcript of the Adam Johnson trial on the grounds that if he walks then he will get a vote too?*

Adam Johnson in and out (repeat)
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    RideOnTime wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:

Benny Hill is he alive. A true citizen of Europe if ever there was one... derderllderll derderllderll derderllderll derderllderll etc

Alas not... I loved his New York sketch - google it, it's v funny!
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    ukiboy wrote:

this is not even wrong
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ukiboy wrote:

It's a vote about the future, not what's happened in the past.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Clarkson's an Out
    Le Blanc is an In
    Hammond who cares

Adam Johnson in and out (allegedly)

FTFY, :)
  • sungod wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:

this is not even wrong

Worlds biggest empire, worlds workshop, birthplace of industry - this is correct for the 19th Century

held our ground in two major world wars - this is true of the first half of the 20th century. The fact it came to war demonstrates that our industrial primacy (and hence military) primacy was being eroded and surpassed by Germany (and USA)

Very few people would argue that the UK's relative decline accelerated in the latter half of the 20th Century. In other words by the time we joined the European Community in 1973 we were up the creek. Since joining we have done relatively well - I am not saying this is entirely due to membership
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    not sure who you are agreeing/disagreeing with here

for disambiguation, i'm quoting* wolfgang pauli's comment, made when he was confronted with utter tosh

*there're various versions of exactly what he said, but they're all pretty close
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod wrote:
    not sure who you are agreeing/disagreeing with here

for disambiguation, i'm quoting* wolfgang pauli's comment, made when he was confronted with utter tosh

*there're various versions of exactly what he said, but they're all pretty close

Exactly. I am agreeing with the facts, putting them in chronological order and then bringing it up to date. When deciding how to vote it is worth bearing in mind we let India go in 1947. Our ability to establish our position in the new world order will be based upon the fact that we are a largish economy in relative decline.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,558
    Why is there no 'shake it all about' option?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    At present I'm sat on the fence, which may surprise some of you given my anti EU stance in the past. The one real positive that I can only see for the average Joe in the UK is the protection the EU gives to employees ie; the working time directive. I do feel that if the UK were to divorce from the EU it could leave the average employee open to being taken advantage of without recourse.
    On the flip side, the scaremongering about job losses is a complete smoke screen. Only 5% of UK businesses export to the EU trading block. This means that the other 95% are hamstrung by the Brussels bureaucratic nonsense imposed on them.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.