Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne *Spoilers

124»

Comments

• dish_dash wrote:
    yeah... van poppel got a wee gap and eased off to bring boonen up to his wheel... then the moto dropped back and gave Stuyven a nice pull as van poppel ease... that's what confused Kirby. He kept going on about van poppel for ages. Sporza commentators (I've just watched a different stream) got it bang on immediately...

Goat is thinking of the wrong race. It's in Omloop when he corners faster and keeps going.

Till he corners too fast and crashes.

BURN!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    :lol:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    dish_dash wrote:
    yeah... van poppel got a wee gap and eased off to bring boonen up to his wheel... then the moto dropped back and gave Stuyven a nice pull as van poppel ease... that's what confused Kirby. He kept going on about van poppel for ages. Sporza commentators (I've just watched a different stream) got it bang on immediately...

Goat is thinking of the wrong race. It's in Omloop when he corners faster and keeps going.

Till he corners too fast and crashes.

BURN!

Still not as bad as my Belgian mates burn from last years omloop. His comments were getting harder and harder to reconcile with the race, until I realised he was accidentally streaming the previous years edition :lol:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Westmalle Tripel's a hell of a drug
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Westmalle Tripel's a hell of a drug

Possibly my favourite beer. But to be treated with extreme caution.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Just watched the highlights. Kirby was shocking... completely missed the winning move as well as Kristoff's second!

He was out of synch with his motorbike incident moan, too.
    Sporza, of course weren't on an ad break.
    Nowt the driver could do. Sporza commies called it different.

Anyhows, a better race than Omloop and it's not often you can say that.
    Looks like Stuyven is stepping it up a lot this year.
    Caleb Ewan? "Some Like it Hot". :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Pinno wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Worth trying to watch the highlights then?

Where?
    http://cyclinghub.tv/post.php?id=1359

Cheers JTC.

The commentators didn't give Stuyvens a snowflake's chance in hell until about 4k to go, The Boonen group should really have caught him, so I have no idea how an experienced and seasoned group failed to but Chapeau to him.
    I wonder if he thought that he would have company when he 'slipped' off the front. He didn't seem to kick really hard. That's the instinct* that may set him aside for future glory. 9th just the day before must have taken some toll so he must have some engine.

*Was it?

I'll stop jabbering like an excited kid now.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Boonen was saying how tired they all were from the wind so when Stuyvens went, fair play. They couldn't really ride much faster.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Boonen was saying how tired they all were from the wind so when Stuyvens went, fair play. They couldn't really ride much faster.

6 riders really working together doing through and off not capable of catching Stuyvens who had achieved 9th just the day before (he must have been fresh as a daisy :roll: ).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    dish_dash wrote:
    Ok. You've made me re-watch the move multiple times now. There ain't a corner in sight. It was a dead straight road. Van Poppel on the front. For some reason the TV camera drops back and as it accelerates Stuyven jumps in the slip stream from about 4th wheel down. Van Poppel eases off at the same time and Boonen is left on the front looking flustered as Stuyven powers off. By the time Boonen realises he needs to chase Stuyven, the Trek rider is gone...

I know he says something about a corner in the press conference...

You'd have thought he'd been batter off attcaking when Van Poppel was on the front but he waits until he's just done his turn, comes from third wheel and it's Boonen who is left looking the chump. He looks a bit ameturish, can't close the gap and keeps looking behind for help. Classy and confident move by Stuyven.
  • There's a really good new generation of Belgian cyclists starting to emerge at the top level, Stuyven, Benoot, Wellens, De Bie, Theuns Wallays, Van De Sandt and so on and so forth.

@gietvangent