Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne *Spoilers

Comments

• jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    My only contribution to the thread - a hideously wrong prediction.

Sorry.
  • As people start attacking from the peloton as Stuyven's has 30" with 1.2k to go.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • jam1e wrote:
    My only contribution to the thread - a hideously wrong prediction.

Sorry.

Do you have any donkey puns?
  • Kristoff wins the sprint for second from Bouhanni.

Chapeau Jasper Stuyvens.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    What a quality effort.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,753
    That was more fun than I'd expected.

Winner was very impressive.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Great win. Loved it.

Caleb needs to join a team with fewer wheel suckers.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Great ride, especially after that crash he had chasing the leading group yesterday.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Always good to see a solo winner so chapeau to Stuyven.

Another decent ride from GvA on top of his efforts yesterday. Hope he hasn't peaked too soon for Flanders...
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Update from his team ...

@StigBroeckx has a displaced fracture on the right collar bone, a rib fracture and a bruised hand. We wish him a good recovery!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Macaloon wrote:
    Great win. Loved it.

Presumably they're missing Hayman.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Macaloon wrote:
    Great win. Loved it.

Presumably they're missing Hayman.

Maybe they didn't have the numbers in the reduced peloton, but from the limited coverage it looked like they relied on Lotto and Katusha to chase, leaving it too late to work for the fastest man in the field. Sneaky, and daft.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Worth trying to watch the highlights then?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Where?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    I hadn't got that far, didn't know if it was worth trying to find them ;)
    Aerial shot = incredibly fast sprint for 2nd - Bouhanni was pushing too
  • Stuyven was not the only solo winner. Ethan Hayter wins KBK Juniors.

http://www.focus-wtv.be/sport/brit-wint-kuurne-brussel-kuurne-bij-junioren
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    WHO could have guessed that given the choice of one of OHN and KBK to watch this weekend, picking OHN would have been the wrong move? Dammit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format

I've not seen it, but does it not look quicker because they're catching the Etixx rider? Like Cav catching LLS and Roche in 2012...
  • Good race, really enjoyed it

Though crouched in a ditch just outside Kwaremont to take shots of the race, with a cold wind that you could cut with a knife, does test one's love of the sport somewhat

Nice toasty warm velodrome on Thu...
  • That wind was bloody awful on the Omloop cyclo yesterday.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pinno wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Where?
    http://cyclinghub.tv/post.php?id=1359
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I always like it when a breakaway wins a Sprinter's race/stage. Keeps it interesting
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Just watched the highlights. Kirby was shocking... completely missed the winning move as well as Kristoff's second!
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Just watched the highlights. Kirby was shocking... completely missed the winning move as well as Kristoff's second!

Stuyven almost missed the winning move! He took a corner faster than anyone else was prepared to when he was on the front and got a gap. Then he sat up, looked back, waved his hand for them to pick it up then presumably heard DeMol yelling "GO! FOR FUPPS SAKE GO!" and got on with it.

He's also the last man in the world to have a Livestrong bracelet.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    Ok. You've made me re-watch the move multiple times now. There ain't a corner in sight. It was a dead straight road. Van Poppel on the front. For some reason the TV camera drops back and as it accelerates Stuyven jumps in the slip stream from about 4th wheel down. Van Poppel eases off at the same time and Boonen is left on the front looking flustered as Stuyven powers off. By the time Boonen realises he needs to chase Stuyven, the Trek rider is gone...

I know he says something about a corner in the press conference...
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Ok. You've made me re-watch the move multiple times now. There ain't a corner in sight. It was a dead straight road. Van Poppel on the front. For some reason the TV camera drops back and as it accelerates Stuyven jumps in the slip stream from about 4th wheel down. Van Poppel eases off at the same time and Boonen is left on the front looking flustered as Stuyven powers off. By the time Boonen realises he needs to chase Stuyven, the Trek rider is gone...

I know he says something about a corner in the press conference...

Perchance I am confused. There was a Trek rider who drifted off the front by accident and next time I looked up Stuyvens had 10s.

forgive me, I was so gubbed yesterday afternoon that standing up was making me dizzy

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    yeah... van poppel got a wee gap and eased off to bring boonen up to his wheel... then the moto dropped back and gave Stuyven a nice pull as van poppel ease... that's what confused Kirby. He kept going on about van poppel for ages. Sporza commentators (I've just watched a different stream) got it bang on immediately...

I've not seen it, but does it not look quicker because they're catching the Etixx rider? Like Cav catching LLS and Roche in 2012...

ha ha you could be right (without seeing it!)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dish_dash wrote:
    yeah... van poppel got a wee gap and eased off to bring boonen up to his wheel... then the moto dropped back and gave Stuyven a nice pull as van poppel ease... that's what confused Kirby. He kept going on about van poppel for ages. Sporza commentators (I've just watched a different stream) got it bang on immediately...

Goat is thinking of the wrong race. It's in Omloop when he corners faster and keeps going.

Till he corners too fast and crashes.