Shit, Small Races 2016

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Blast from the past Fabian Wegmann was 10th.

A force to be reckoned with on procycling manager 2008 or whatever it was.
  • Cs5Z5qjXEAA3Dfi.jpg

Bennett beats Cav at Giro della Toscana
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,115
    Cav is finished!
  • andyp wrote:
    Cav is finished!

and Bennett will win the Worlds
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Bennett first almost took out Cav's front wheel and then went for a diagonal sprint towards the barrier.
    No way Cav was getting past, so he freewheeled the last few metres.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Is there any TV coverage of the Giro Dell'Emilia today?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    ^I just tracked down the last 2km of this :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C3UI0N_7B4

Impressive acceleration and timing from smiley boy
  • andyp
    Good find. Thanks for posting.
  • cheers Mad Max
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Mad_Malx wrote:

<3 Chaves.

Something about how that was shot gave you a real sense of how fast he was going at the end there.
  • Mad_Malx wrote:

Thanks.

In the Duo Normand 2-up TT Tuft and Durbridge retained their title on Sunday. Sadly a British amateur died when he was hit seemingly by the support car of another team suddenly swerving near the finish.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Doesn't get much smaller than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNkXY-MWbj4

The Hong Kong Cyclothon! :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    3 muppets give up the chance of the win by track standing after heading into the last km with a decent advantage in l'Eurometropole. Groenewegen takes it but may get relegated after putting an IAM rider into the barrier.
  • rick_chasey
    He keeps it.

Boonen 3rd
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Should have been relegated for that, he completely shut the door and forced the IAM rider to stop pedalling.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2016
    IAM rider stopping pedalling? Well blow me down with a feather.

Too much jury business - IAM rider wouldn't have come around anyway.

Groenewegen is the real deal. 23 years old, and this was his palmares for 2016:

1st National Road Race Championships
    Tour de Yorkshire
    1st Points classification
    1st Stage 1
    Ster ZLM Toer
    Points classification
    1st Stage 3
    1st Rund um Köln
    1st Heistse Pijl
    1st Tour de l'Eurométropole
    1st Arnhem-Veenendaal Classic
    1st Stage 1 Eneco Tour
    1st Stage 4 Tour of Britain
    1st Stage 1 Driedaagse van West-Vlaanderen
    1st Stage 3 Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana
    3rd Nokere Koerse
    4th Kuurne–Brussels–Kuurne
    6th EuroEyes Cyclassics
    6th Le Samyn
    9th Scheldeprijs

And that excludes the decent sprints he did in the Tour this year too.
  • andyp
    Pross wrote:
    Should have been relegated for that, he completely shut the door and forced the IAM rider to stop pedalling.

There's nothing to stop you closing the door, as long as you don't ride dangerously. Groenewegen closed it gradually, hence the result stood.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Nice to see John Degenkolb back to his winning ways in today's Münsterland Giro. Roy Jans, Pascal Ackermann and Mateo Trentin in next three placings.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    IAM rider stopping pedalling? Well blow me down with a feather.

Too much jury business - IAM rider wouldn't have come around anyway.

Groenewegen is the real deal. 23 years old, and this was his palmares for 2016:

1st National Road Race Championships
    Tour de Yorkshire
    1st Points classification
    1st Stage 1
    Ster ZLM Toer
    Points classification
    1st Stage 3
    1st Rund um Köln
    1st Heistse Pijl
    1st Tour de l'Eurométropole
    1st Arnhem-Veenendaal Classic
    1st Stage 1 Eneco Tour
    1st Stage 4 Tour of Britain
    1st Stage 1 Driedaagse van West-Vlaanderen
    1st Stage 3 Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana
    3rd Nokere Koerse
    4th Kuurne–Brussels–Kuurne
    6th EuroEyes Cyclassics
    6th Le Samyn
    9th Scheldeprijs

And that excludes the decent sprints he did in the Tour this year too.

Show me a polite sprinter and I'll show you a loser!
    Half man, Half bike
  • andyp
    Impressive win from Arnaud Demare in Binche-Chimay-Binche. GVA drove it up the final cobbled section in the final kilometre, dragging Roelandts, Stybar and Demare clear, then Demare jumped with 300 metres to go, Stybar got his wheel but Demare had the strength to hold him off.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Good tactical sprint win by Arnaud Demare in Binche-Chimay-Binche today. With a couple of hundred meters to the finish he got the jump on GVA and Roelandts and managed to hold off Stybar right to the finish line.

Pity I don't have a Chimay Bleue to celebrate with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49nCSxBlm1g

Look out for the dog at 6.48
  • rick_chasey
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

<3 Chaves.

Something about how that was shot gave you a real sense of how fast he was going at the end there.

Read on INNRNG that he big ringed that bad boy (apaz first since Ullrich) so I had a gander and yes, big ringed it.

Oof.
  • rick_chasey
    In fact, here's the Ulle video. https://youtu.be/CmjUCOwcOT8

In hindsight I actually watched that; just didn't know what race it was.

I've picked the bit where he's just put on the pain - seconds before he sits down, shifts into the dinner plate, and says goodbye to everyone.

Have to say, I do fine the lower cadence of that era much more aesthetically pleasing.

Yes that's right, I pass my Tuesday nights watching old cycling videos.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Have to say, I do fine the lower cadence of that era much more aesthetically pleasing..

True
    But the noises my knees make say it's a bad idea for a kid to copy this on a Raleigh Scorpio

DSC04552.JPG
  • hommelbier wrote:
    Good tactical sprint win by Arnaud Demare in Binche-Chimay-Binche today. With a couple of hundred meters to the finish he got the jump on GVA and Roelandts and managed to hold off Stybar right to the finish line.

Pity I don't have a Chimay Bleue to celebrate with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49nCSxBlm1g

impressive
  • That was impressive by Demare
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Very nice win for demare. They've been few and far between for him for a while now. Looked for a whilr like he might have gone the way of Farrar and losing his pace in the sprints while not quite having it in the classics.

Still reckon he has a Roubaix in him, mind.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • andyp
    The_Boy wrote:
    Very nice win for demare. They've been few and far between for him for a while now. Looked for a whilr like he might have gone the way of Farrar and losing his pace in the sprints while not quite having it in the classics.

You remember he won Milan-San Remo in the spring, yes? He's won 5 races this season, plus a TTT win, which is pretty good going for the type of sprinter he is I think. He's only just 25 too, so has more potential to develop in the next few years.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    andyp wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

You remember he won Milan-San Remo in the spring, yes? He's won 5 races this season, plus a TTT win,

Of course I do. I can also remember the allegations made after it, as well as the mechanical which hit Bouhanni when he looked the likeliest winner.

I also remember when he was one of the top French sprinters, and when his wins were in the double figures - prior to him focussing more on classics. Both of those are no longer the case.

Edit: and a TTT inst of much relevance to the point I was making.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

You remember he won Milan-San Remo in the spring, yes? He's won 5 races this season, plus a TTT win,

Of course I do. I can also remember the allegations made after it, as well as the mechanical which hit Bouhanni when he looked the likeliest winner.

I also remember when he was one of the top French sprinters, and when his wins were in the double figures - prior to him focussing more on classics. Both of those are no longer the case.

Edit: and a TTT inst of much relevance to the point I was making.

Well, in that case, neither are any allegations relevant.
    He's won a monument this year. It says so on his palmares.
    So, in all fairness, far from following Farrar.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.