Shit, Small Races 2016

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    Mikel Landa wins the first mountain stage of Trentino, but was being closed down with every pedal stroke, by Sergey "Santa" Firsanov.
    The other surprise being Cunego leading home the best of the rest.
    Ag2r keep Bardet and Pozzovivo in the mix.
    Meanwhile, it's Fuglsang for Astana. No sign of Nibali.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Ag2r finished third in the TTT with the same time as Sky, albeit in a weak field. The world seems a very strange place this season.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,606
    Cav takes the win in Stage 2 of the Tour of Croatia. Nizzolo second, Renshaw third.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • The_Boy
    Is that Cav's first win this season?

edit: nope, he won one in teh desert at the start of te year.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    The_Boy wrote:
    Ag2r finished third in the TTT with the same time as Sky, albeit in a weak field. The world seems a very strange place this season.

The major French teams have suddenly found out how to TT, both as teams (mainly FDJ and Ag2R) and individuals (Coppel and Pinot). Indeed strange times, but exciting.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,606
    Croatia Day 3

Advantage Nizzolo
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    The current trentino stage is a bit bonkers. Attacks everywhere on the climb. Nibali nowhere as expected, sure he'll miraculously ride away from all these guys in a few weeks though. His only contribution has been mouthing off at the cameraman filming him flapping around off the back.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    gsk82 wrote:
    The current trentino stage is a bit bonkers. Attacks everywhere on the climb. Nibali nowhere as expected, sure he'll miraculously ride away from all these guys in a few weeks though. His only contribution has been mouthing off at the cameraman filming him flapping around off the back.

Landa must have covered 15 attacks all by himself, where are the rest of Sky?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    There was one sky guy not far off the group. I believe they've sent the under 21s though.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    gsk82 wrote:

Landa must have covered 15 attacks all by himself, where are the rest of Sky?
    It's not the strongest team, but their Giro selection will be interesting. They named a squad of ten at the beginning of the season but Intxausti is out, Henao is out, Konig has disappeared....
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    Landa looked just about cooked at the end.
    Ag2r had 4 riders for much of the climb and 3 in the final selection, yet achieved very little.
    Unlike Astana who played the perfect 1-2, sans Nibali who was too busy trying to get rid of his personal cameraman.

Croatia: Nizzolo with ease. Twisty technical finish right up his street.
    Cav had difficulty staying on Renshaw's wheel.
  • His Nibs not looking awe-inspiring just 2 weeks out for the Giro

Aru needs to worry
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    Konig has disappeared....

Injured, isn't he?
  • The_Boy
    Surprised by Carthy, which maybe shows what a season he's been having.
  • gsk82
    Trentino is landa v the rest again. Would be nice to know how far behind on GC the various attackers are.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2016
    Kangert wins and gets the 10 second bonus, but Landa pinches 3rd and gets 4 seconds.
    Takes the GC by just 2 seconds in what was another fascinating stage.
  • gsk82
    Kangert won the sprint from a group of around 10. If there's bonus seconds he's won overall... But no... Landa finished third on the stage
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Kangert wins and gets the 10 second bonus, but Landa pinches 3rd and gets 4 seconds.

Blimey, that was bloody close.

Chapeau to him, after defending his lead alone for two days.
  • gsk82

Philip Deignan made an appearance today to offer some assistance
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    gsk82 wrote:

Ah, he was gone by the time I tuned in (on the final categorised climb).
  • gsk82
    gsk82 wrote:

he came back on the descent and did a fair bit on the front. he was then dropped when fuglsang attacked for the first time on the run in. it's the first i've heard of him all season, guess he's been injured?
  • gsk82 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

he came back on the descent and did a fair bit on the front. he was then dropped when fuglsang attacked for the first time on the run in. it's the first i've heard of him all season, guess he's been injured?

Yep. Broke summat early on whilst training in Nice
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Wasn't that last season, a collarbone?
  • Wasn't that last season, a collarbone?

Early last season, but then another accident - hit by a car, IIRC, Nov/Dec last year
  • thchris1958
    thchris1958 Posts: 117
    Wasn't that last season, a collarbone?

Early last season, but then another accident - hit by a car, IIRC, Nov/Dec last year

It was the day before the SPOTY

https://twitter.com/L_ArmiTstead/status ... 6825789440
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    gsk82 wrote:

You mean he rode tempo on the front for 12/15 km's with 3 Astana men on his tail. ?
    Seemed ludicrous to me when it was obvious that he would be needed later, when Astana would be attacking Mikel Landa in the closing km's to the finish.
    As such he was knackered by finishing 18th @ 1min 44sec down with Michele Scarpon (the other Astana man in their Trio)

I seldom fathom Sky tactics but what the hell Mikel Landa did Win the race, if only by 2 seconds.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,373
    Tro Bro Leon, if anyone is interested. I like it even though I had never heard of it before. Weather gave it some spice.

En Francaise too. Makes a change from the something stuck in your throat Dutch speak. Plus I can actually understand a bit of it. Attention s'il vous plait - there is little on screen info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ_mqSdzMuY
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • gsk82
    Pinno wrote:
    Tro Bro Leon, if anyone is interested. I like it even though I had never heard of it before. Weather gave it some spice.

En Francaise too. Makes a change from the something stuck in your throat Dutch speak. Plus I can actually understand a bit of it. Attention s'il vous plait - there is little on screen info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ_mqSdzMuY

Having half heard the result of the 2016 race I found that 2014 video very confusing.

2016 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2y32yglUIck
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited April 2016
    Pinno wrote:
    Tro Bro Leon, if anyone is interested. I like it even though I had never heard of it before.
    It's the hipster's classic.The Pardubice of cycling.

The most hipster race of them all (in Europe at least)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,373
    edited April 2016
    Deleted.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!