Fed up of being ill,man flu. What do you do when ill.

Quins
Quins Posts: 239
Came down with sore throat ( proper razor blade sore), sore chest, classic URTI, eyes streaming, struggled to breath mixed with a blocked nose or running faster than Ussain Bolt, 2 days in my pit. Porridge with honey, warm drinks, paracetamol, hot soups with added fresh ginger and chilies.... Fed up now, Reckon it's going to take at least a week to get rid . don't feel like doing much of anything, bike channel is pony, waiting for a good programme, I've got an iPad and ned boulting book to read, jfed up with sitting up, coughing and sneezing.

What do you do to aid recovery and quell the boredom :cry:

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    Sounds a lot like what I had a few weeks ago. Really nasty. Too painful to speak it was. I also had a very high temperature so all I could do was listen to iPod/Radio and snooze all day long. I was in bed for 5 days like that. I found that drinking lots of Brandy from 11am helped a lot. Well, I certainly wasn't going to drive anywhere so what the Hell I said. Also I had quite a few mega strength painkillers left over from my shoulder op so a few Tramdol later and I was drifting along quite nicely! ;-)
    Been back to work for two weeks now but still not 100% at all. More like 85-89%. Managed a 35 miler on Sunday but found the hills a little tough. Still not swimming or doing spin classes at lunchtime. Maybe next week....

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    1st post sounds like a bad cold, second one like flu.

I was 48 hours behind my wife when I too went down with proper flu last Sunday Night. Next 2 days couldn't get out of bed, raging temperature and sweating, blinding headache which went on for 4 days, and random joint and muscle pains for the best part of a week. To cap it all everything I tried to eat or drink tasted disgusting. This week it's left me feeling knackered and with an annoying cough. Between us the house sounds like a Victorian TB ward.

I have no desire to get on a bike at the moment, and suspect that if I tried it would end badly and in a session of olympic standard coughing. I'm waiting till I feel properly recovered and my lungs are working properly.

I'd forgotten just how appalling daytime TV was. Luckily I have a stock of reading material from Christmas. Ned Boulting included.
  • Quins
    Just woke from another snooze.Keeff66 I've Deffo not got flu, no aches in limbs, just the upper respiratory tract junk , very sore chest, can't hear very well, breath or talk properly, could be bronchitis. No interest in exercise, only going from bed to bathroom to kitchen to bed. Photinic69, brandy, sounds like I should also be prescribed that medication. Sounds like you medicines yourself what with the tramadol.I have a bottle of brandy out on the side, I fancy knocking it back come up smiling at the weekend... tramadol substituted for the nerve pain blocker I've just got for low back and groin pain.

One of my staff, a female, had a bit if a sniffle that got so bad she had a day off last week. Now 2 blokes in my team are down, into our 3rd days off,no way I'm fit to go back. Women seem to be resilient.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Too late now, but for next time, at the first sign of a cold Vicks First Defence is very good at stopping it.
  • Quins
    So about 11 months ago I had man flu, fed up. On NYD , me and my Mrs got proper flu ( probably brought home by my student sin who was rotten over Xmas). Chills, sweats, aches, thumping head , eyes sensitive to light, a week in bed/settee. Throat so sore we sat in silence. It then turned into a bike cough that gave abs a thorough work out. Hacking up guff. 2 weeks later I get up to go yo work, by the time I get to my office I'm nearky fainting, dizzy , out of breath. Sinuses have been stinging when I blow my nose ( like swimming pool water has gone up there) , still got thick white/green snot and a smell of ammonia. I've had sinus problems every year and it knocks me bandy. Going to GP tomorrow,. During the first bout we managed to see a surgery nurse, she prescribed pseudoephidrine ( basically sudafed ).

Into the 3rd week of Face aches, eyes hurt and I look like a panda , tired as heck, dizzy. Other than that, I'm grateful that I'm not still coughing like my Mrs and she's grateful that she hasn't got my sinuses.... Only positive is losing a good lump of the Xmas lard, dropped 7lb in about 8 days...

Anyone had a similar sinus issue, got it sorted? I'm at wits end.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Sleep.

I try not to take anything that just deals with the symptoms - I'm not sure they don't prolong the illness.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You know 'man flu' is just a joke term and not a proper illness, right?

Anyway, could be sinusitis. I had several bouts of this a couple of years ago, eventually nailed by having two wisdom teeth removed. Seems the two were linked..
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    edited January 2017
    I used to be in the school's swimming team when i was a kid and I was always suffering from sinusitis. I remember making strong solutions of salt water and snorting up a few teaspoons up each nostril to flush out the sinuses and nasal cavities. After a few days it would clear up. Takes a bit of getting used to. Try it - it's free!

Edit: Forgot to add - salt water goes up nose, down back of throat, you hack it back up and spit it out. Pretty gross as it contains lovely green/yellow snotty slime. Yumsk!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Quins
    Imposter, the man flu was a bad cold nearly a year ago, I'm very aware that the term is used as light hearted dig at men suffering with a cold. That's why I titled it man flu back then. Any time I'm get a cold it seems play having with my sinuses. This latest episode was proper flu, wouldn't have got out my pit for a £50 if it were outside....

I've not had any wisdom tooth issues, sure I'd know about it ( unless it's manifesting itself as sinus issue and not directly as wisdom teeth problem). During the first week I was almost deaf, totally blocked. Hearing still not good, tv is turned up to 60, kids can't stand it so i go to subtitles if they are about....
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    crack one off in bed !

Makes you feel better for a few minutes.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Quins wrote:
    I've not had any wisdom tooth issues, sure I'd know about it ( unless it's manifesting itself as sinus issue and not directly as wisdom teeth problem).

The bit in bold is what I meant. If you have yet to get to the bottom of your issues, then this could be another consideration for you..