Stairs for training

Road Red
Road Red Posts: 232
How relevant/useful is climbing stairs for cycle training?

I work in a 30 storey building which obviously presents opportunities for some extra training!

Thanks.

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It probably mimics low cadence climbing I guess. Personally I'd rather ride my bike more and get the lift to avoid the fatigue of climbing a 30 storey building.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • I'm sure riding is always good training for riding but not everyone has time in their day to do that! Whereas I'm sure what the OP means is that they can do those stairs in their lunch / break times.

I certainly think it would be good training if you did it regularly. To mimic cycling try and take it at a constant steady pace and don't relent until you get to the top. Using a HRM would be good just to track how hard you're working.

I used to work on the 9th floor of a tower and it was always quite an effort to get all the way to the top, these days I work on the first floor, which is also the top floor!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    But would you want to do that in your office clothes and then sit there in a stinking mess afterwards? I'd be more inclined to wait and train properly (ie on a bike) after work...
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    if you move your arms like a step up move in the gym and step up say 3 steps it becomes a really great functional exercise for your body. Quads, hip flexors, glutes etc will all be working
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Well, there is that old adage that cyclists shouldn't even walk anywhere but I find chucking in stair running sessions is brilliant cardio/core/leg strength.

But that's just me.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Well, there is that old adage that cyclists shouldn't even walk anywhere but I find chucking in stair running sessions is brilliant cardio/core/leg strength.

But that's just me.
    Not just you.

Ultra distance MTBer John Stamstad used to run up 16 flights of stairs, taking three steps at a time. Ten times. After a 5 hour ride and 1 hour jog. I kid you not.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1845131/wh ... e-stranger
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.