The Monday Club

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,364
edited February 2016 in The bottom bracket
Hey ho, slightly cloudy today. Trying to just chill and enjoy the peace and quiet before the trek back to windy wet land the morrow.

I fancy another coffee...

Tchau.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Alive, late night with the NFL. I really need to work out how to get a crema from the Moka pot before it just becomes a styling object in my kitchen.

Bikes are now out of the way rather than just dotted around various rooms
    12647070_1680253268882277_7962552750786825690_n.jpg?oh=330b4eb5883d1f7a605d8af6fbd46a16&oe=576B1575

Time to get a brew and a bagel
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    That bike storage is rather satisfying, once I buy the house I am renting I need to remove a couple of built in cupboards and do something similar.

I drank too much beer at a brewery yesterday and now I'm at work pretending it's the cold which has been going round...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ciao

Fighting 200,000 mph winds. Apart from that, all very good here apart from also fighting The System which is driving me up the wall.

Ciao for now.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    HaydenM wrote:
    I drank too much beer at a brewery yesterday and now I'm at work pretending it's the cold which has been going round...
    Well played :D

Good weather for kites. Work meh and nothing interesting to report.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • haydenm
    seanoconn wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Fyne Ales brewery is too good to resist! I just need to watch out for side effects of devouring strepsils to keep up appearances.
  • pinno
    HaydenM wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Fyne Ales brewery is too good to resist! I just need to watch out for side effects of devouring strepsils to keep up appearances.

Are strepsil's classed as a PED?
  • haydenm
    So long as the performance in question isn't 'ease of taking a dump' I'll be happy.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Fyne Ales does look very picturesque, but it's a bit far for a brewery tour. Park Brewery is just round the corner, but the tour would only take about 30 seconds. It is on my way to my favourite local though.
    Bit of a crappy day here. Had to come into the office as other people are off, didn't sleep well due to toothache, must call the dentist, then had to get up early to make sure the boy got out the door on time as he's gone to a physics day at Cambridge Uni. Drove in today as I had to pick up a load on Mini bits and I didn't fancy facing the wind. The noise coming from outside would confirm driving in was the right idea. Horizontal rain is hitting the window. Got to bunk off early to go to the girl's school as it's GCSE options evening. Hopefully she will be feeling well enough to sit through all of it.
    Nearly lunchtime...
  • haydenm
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Fyne Ales does look very picturesque, but it's a bit far for a brewery tour. Park Brewery is just round the corner, but the tour would only take about 30 seconds. It is on my way to my favourite local though.

That stuff looks good, not sure I have had any of theirs. Fyne is about 2 and a half hours from me but I work around there at least once a week so they recognise me in there now. I'd also recommend the George pub in Inveraray...
  • pinno
    Are you lot actually attempting to do some work?!
  • pinno
    @ Flaneur, if you are still serious about the Moka pot, let me know. Then you can train the future wife to do it.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Pinno wrote:

We'll 'ave none of that kind of talk round here sonny Jim :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pinno wrote:

Wash your filthy mouth out Pinno.

No swearing round 'ere if you don't mind.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    Pinno wrote:

Supposedly but GIS mapping is desperately boring, weather is passable to get out in the woods too but I can't think of a sensible excuse as to why I need to go out today
  • Flâneur
    Pinno wrote:
    @ Flaneur, if you are still serious about the Moka pot, let me know. Then you can train the future wife to do it.

It is a serious problem I have, I tend to use Lavezza coffee and I like it and all, just never get a crema when pouring. tried tricks like sugar, small splash stir, remove sugar and pour and the different heat/quantities/compact of coffee

A real struggle in my life tbh
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • haydenm
    Do you ever grind your own beans? I have been lead to believe that the size of the grinds, the oil content of the beans and the pressure in brewing have the most effect. I have never had success apart from with a professional machines at my old summer job as a student
  • team47b
    Flâneur wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

It is a serious problem I have, I tend to use Lavezza coffee and I like it and all, just never get a crema when pouring. tried tricks like sugar, small splash stir, remove sugar and pour and the different heat/quantities/compact of coffee

A real struggle in my life tbh

You can't take the pressure :D

If you consider that pressure is a measure of force against a surface and is usually expressed as a 'force per unit area' normal atmospheric pressure equates to the weight of a column of air one square inch in area rising from the Earth's surface, through the atmosphere and into space. The weight (or pressure) of this column of air on the earth's surface is measured at 14.7 pounds. i.e 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi). So, 14.7psi = 1atm (atmosphere) = 1bar of pressure.

You will probably need 8 bar of pressure to create crema :D

Next week, lumens, what are they and why are they also so bright?
  • Flâneur
    so in my Moka 6, how much water/air/coffee mass do i need to create said pressure. I read Classics at University so this science stuff is beyond me.

And Hay, no, I buy stuff because I am far too busy to grind my own coffee. cough. Used to have them ground for me when I lived In Lancaster, really good coffee place in town.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Hi all, I'm back from Dubai and it was terrible :D

Went for a spin with Etixx on Monday and gave Kittel some pointers which seemed to pay off.

The reason you can't get crema with Lavazza is because it isn't very good coffee I'm afraid, mass produced so and so.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • pinno
    joshjevans wrote:
    Hi all, I'm back from Dubai and it was terrible :D

Went for a spin with Etixx on Monday and gave Kittel some pointers which seemed to pay off.

The reason you can't get crema with Lavazza is because it isn't very good coffee I'm afraid, mass produced so and so.

Boo hiss - go back to Dubai.

@Flaneur. I use Lavazza and I can get a little creme. The trick is to fill the coffee receptacle full. Don't push it down but knock the funnel bit on the counter (rather like putting a shaft on a hammer head), repeat until you can't get anymore in and you'll be surprised how much you get in. Add a little extra water - above the level of the valve. When it is full like that, it requires more pressure to go through the coffee and it will take a little longer.
  • Pinno wrote:

I wish!
  • pinno
    joshjevans wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I wish!

We'll 'crowd fund' a one way ticket back :wink:
  • I accept.
  • team47b
    Before he disappears back to Dubai, he's right about industrial coffee, you need fresh roasted beans and to grind them before the oils dissipate as it's the oils that create the creme and the CO2 that remains in the bean's cells after the roasting process.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Pinno wrote:
    joshjevans wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I wish!

We'll 'crowd fund' a one way ticket back :wink:

I know someone who lives there that might be able to put him up :D

in other news - bl00dy storms! how many more? I guess it is making my tyres last longer due to lack of use!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,548
    Well I'm pedalling tomorrow as I'm going cold turkey here. Want to get some exercise before middle age sets in :D

Busy day today dealing with irritating questions from lawyers and starting to select another new minion as my evil tax avoidance empire grows (in response to popular demand) :twisted:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Well I'm pedalling tomorrow as I'm going cold turkey here. Want to get some exercise before middle age sets in :D

Is 60 the new 40?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • team47b
    Yep :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,548
    That must mean 50 is the new 30. Whoopee. Either way I'm off downhilling not long after my birthday to prove its all a load of bollox.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,802
    joshjevans wrote:
    Nonsense. Lavazza Red every morning just like this. And yes, it is my photo not some stock.
    d740593f4082ad05d57186d08212c68a.jpg
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.